#1 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 10 November 2007 - 17:08

EDITED 3/4/08 -

PLEASE NOW IGNORE THIS THEAD AND GO INSTEAD TO THE NEW THREAD AT THIS LINK

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2008 Leeds concert has been mentioned on threads a few times recently, and I've had several messages from new members asking me for information. So any excuse to start the new thread about it rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif And in fact although it might seem like a long way away, once Christmas has been and gone, the time passes VERY fast, particularly for people who have ensemble music to learn as well as solo music.

So here's as much information as is available at the moment...

♫ DATE AND VENUE

Saturday 31 May 2008

The Yorkshire College of Music and Drama, Headingley, Leeds. This is a great venue for a concert - there are loads of individual practice/rehearsal rooms, and plenty of pianos either for solo practice or for ensembles with piano accompaniment. A drum kit will also be available for use.

♫ PARTICIPATION

The concert is being organised with a view to enabling adults to gain experience playing in public. New performers and nervous performers are especially welcome!

Participants under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult.

Although the concert is primarily for adults, younger forum members or children of forum members will also be accommodated if possible.

The fee to perform will be the same as last year, £14, with a £5 visitor's fee.

♫ PERFORMING

For a general overview of what happens at forum events, have a look at the "Forum concerts and other events" thread.

If you haven't peformed in public before, this post gives some tips on making is easier for yourself!

At the last concert, I tried to make sure that all new or nervous performers had the opportunity to play in at least one ensemble before playing a solo so that it "broke the ice" about being on stage, and I will try and do the same next time.

♫ ENSEMBLES

If you would like to play in an ensemble and you don't know anyone to play with, drop me a PM letting me know your instrument and level. Last time I tried to partner up new performers with an experienced member, and I would try to do the same again next time.

With regard to the music, if you have a piece you would particularly like to play, you would normally ask your partner(s) if they would be happy to play it; or alternatively another member of the ensemble might suggest a piece to play.

In order to enable as many members as possible to play in more than one ensemble, it would be helpful if members could, where possible, arrange trios or quartets rather than duos. (Depending on the number of people applying, I might give preference to small groups of 3 or more over duets).

The large ensembles this year will be Recorder, Community Choir, Swing (Clarinet/Sax) and Grand Finale. Everyone will have the opportunity to play in these ensembles, subject to parts being available for particular instruments. A drum kit will be available for the Grand Finale, and also a piano. In the event of more than one pianist applying for the piano part in the Grand Finale, the part will be offered to the pianist who has the fewest other playing opportunities at the concert, and within that, on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not need to be a "singer" to take part in the choir - everyone is welcome to join in! And if you have a recorder which you haven't played for years, now is the time to root it out and brush up your skills on it - there will be easy-to-play parts for members who are not recorder students but want to join in smile.gif

Oh and there'll be a kazoo orchestra as well - kazoos, duck-callers, frogs and other assorted noisy animals and percussion all welcome wacko.gif laugh.gif

♫ FAMILIES/VISITORS

Friends and families of performers are very welcome to come to the concert as well - performers need an audience, particularly a friendly and supportive one! biggrin.gif Last time we started rehearsals at around 10am and the concert started at 2.15pm. Visitors are welcome to remain at the college during the morning, or spend the morning doing something else and come back for the concert in the afternoon.

Because the attendees at the concert are usually inexperienced at performing to others, every effort is made to ensure that they are not distracted, in order to give them every chance to perform successfully. Many will have practised for weeks, sometimes months, and it would not be fair to jeopardise their performance by a crying baby or a restless child. For this reason, I'm afraid that young children cannot be admitted to the concert. If anyone has any queries on this aspect, please feel free to contact me.

If anyone wants to make a short break of their visit, the 2007 concert web site (see link below) lists some activities in the locality for adults and children.

♫ PRIVACY

As you've probably seen from other threads, many people enjoy seeing pictures of the concerts on the forum, but if you would prefer not to have your picture on the internet, just let me know. Or if you don't mind having your picture posted but don't want to be identified, again just let me know.

Although many people usually wear name badges at the concert giving both their forum name and their real first name, it is fine if you would prefer to be known by either one of your names without giving your other name.

If you have a query about any other aspect concerning privacy, please feel free to email/PM me.

♫ "TRIPS"

As many members will know, the Early Music Store has relocated to Saltaire, which is a few miles outside Bradford. Also in Saltaire is the Reed Organ and Harmonium Museum, which is a private museum and I gather extremely interesting. At the present time, both the EMS and the ROHM are open on Sunday, and if people want, we could possibly have a trip out there on the Sunday morning after the concert, subject to numbers. Any members coming to Leeds by public transport would hopefully be able to hitch a lift with a member-driver (I'll be able to take 3 or 4 people in my car).

There is also the possibility, subject to confirmation, that I might be able to offer a trip either to Hanson (clarinets, saxes, etc) on the Friday (30th), or to a fantastic place for secondhand sheet music - both places are a bit of a drive away (an hour/ an hour and a half) but if you are interested, please email/PM me.

♫ 2007 CONCERT

If anyone wants to look at the concert web site for 2007 to get a flavour for it, click here.

If you want to see the programme for the previous concert, click here

And if there are any new members who are a bit unsure about meeting up with "strange people off the internet", have a look at these photographs from last June's concert - we look quite normal don't we unsure.gif (well apart from Liddy, Addy and Great Aunt May rolleyes.gif) laugh.gif

I think that's all for the time being smile.gif

And if you can't wait till 31st May for your first forum event, have a look at this thread for the Teddington Adult Learners concert - taking place on 2nd February smile.gif or this thread for the Forum Event Calendar to see what else is coming up.

PS. Unless the mods particularly want to move this thread, I'd rather it remain in the body of the General Music forum, for the same reasons that I didn't ask for this year's thread to be pinned until much later.

#2 hillyb

hillyb

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2459 posts
  • Member: 6557

Posted 10 November 2007 - 18:23

Thanks - in the diary. Hopefully will be able to make this one. smile.gif

#3 Guest: DaisyChain_*

Guest: DaisyChain_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 18:51

Looking forward to it already! party1.gif

#4 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 10 November 2007 - 19:48

Two more two add to the list. Can't wait to see everyone again!!

#5 Guest: DaisyChain_*

• Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 19:54

QUOTE(notmusimum @ Nov 10 2007, 07:48 PM) View Post

hurrah.gif See you there, then! smile.gif

#6 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 10 November 2007 - 22:23

QUOTE(DaisyChain @ Nov 10 2007, 07:54 PM) View Post

QUOTE(notmusimum @ Nov 10 2007, 07:48 PM) View Post

hurrah.gif See you there, then! smile.gif

If not before!!

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 2525

Posted 10 November 2007 - 22:56

Oh cool, I'll try to come this time. Thanks for putting it up already, skylark! smile.gif

#8 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10699 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 10 November 2007 - 23:00

Lots of good things came out of the last Leeds concert, skylark. It has a high priority in my diary for next year, not least because I would like to visit the Early Music Shop in its new home. biggrin.gif

#9 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 11 November 2007 - 00:43

It'll creep round again before we know it... smile.gif

I'm intending to make a little bit of a short break of Leeds again. Would like to see the Early Music Centre and Hansons this time round. Thur-Sun sounds like a decent break. smile.gif

I'll post my intentions for the finale/jazz band after the closing date for Anglesey (which I'm guessing will be about the 8th February), though I'll be 'chatting' to you about it skylark a little before that. smile.gif

#10 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8052 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 November 2007 - 19:18

I am making preparations to be allowed to come biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Oddball

Oddball

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11091 posts
  • Member: 2310
  • Market Harborough

Posted 12 November 2007 - 19:57

Yep, I'll see if I can get there!

#12 Ms.Fiddle

Ms.Fiddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Member: 17605
  • Derby

Posted 12 November 2007 - 20:50

I'm already working on a possible solo piece, how sad am I?!

biggrin.gif

#13 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22872 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 12 November 2007 - 21:02

QUOTE(Ms.Fiddle @ Nov 12 2007, 08:50 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif

Some of us are already making plans for the NI concert in August...... tongue.gif

#14 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 21:51

Hey lots of new faces by the look of it, as well as the (better not say old ones tongue.gif) familiar ones biggrin.gif

Look forward to meeting everyone smile.gif

#15 Guest: DaisyChain_*

• Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 22:29

QUOTE(Ms.Fiddle @ Nov 12 2007, 08:50 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif

I'm working on the solo I should have played this year! Better late than never! rolleyes.gif