Leeds Playday 9/2/08 - Updated Thread

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 06 February 2008 - 22:36

Everbody who's coming should now have had an email confirming the final arrangements - if not, let me know! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to meeting everybody, either again or for the first time woot.gif

(tries not to get too excited ph34r.gif )

#32 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:34

Incidentally I know there's a couple of first-study pianists coming on Saturday who are not planning to play the piano during the event, but there is a piano in the studio where the ensemble is meeting (it's the same room as last year's concert for those of you who came last year) and if anybody arrives early and wants to have a tinkle, that's fine with the college. I think it's a Bluther grand unsure.gif

Once all the other students have left at mid-day, the college people are happy for us to explore the building if anyone wants to smile.gif Most of the rooms have a piano but some are better than others. The college building used to be the home of Julie Andrews' singing teacher, Lilian Stiles-Allen. It has character rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

#33 Babybird

Babybird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Member: 8997

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:30

Got the e-mail (and printed it!) biggrin.gif

I think I've only been in two rooms in the building... one near the entrance where I warmed up and one on the floor below where I had my exam biggrin.gif

#34 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:02

I haven't read my email yet, so forgive me if it says in there, but is there any dress code for people who are playing?

#35 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:12

QUOTE(Chris H @ Feb 7 2008, 11:02 AM) View Post

I haven't read my email yet, so forgive me if it says in there, but is there any dress code for people who are playing?

Just wear whatever's comfortable - it's very informal smile.gif Apart from a short break or two, we'll be sitting/playing for the whole afternoon so I'd recommend wearing something that you'll be comfortable in for several hours. In my case, that's my jeans biggrin.gif

#36 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:24

QUOTE(skylark @ Feb 7 2008, 01:34 AM) View Post

Incidentally I know there's a couple of first-study pianists coming on Saturday who are not planning to play the piano during the event, but there is a piano in the studio where the ensemble is meeting (it's the same room as last year's concert for those of you who came last year) and if anybody arrives early and wants to have a tinkle, that's fine with the college. I think it's a Bluther grand unsure.gif

QUOTE(Babybird @ Feb 7 2008, 08:30 AM) View Post

I think I've only been in two rooms in the building... one near the entrance where I warmed up and one on the floor below where I had my exam biggrin.gif

That's just reminded me - I've got mixed up! it was the exam room piano which Fsharpminor played to me on last week (what dreadful grammar!) so it must be that one that's the Bluther. I forget what it is in the studio but I don't suppose it matters - I'm just a bit into piano makes at the moment since reading "The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" biggrin.gif

#37 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17128 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:32

Was it Bluthner (Not Bluther), I thought it was a Bechstein ?? Maybe my memory fails me !

Anyway I hope you all have great day. smile.gif Pity I'm only in Headingley two days each midweek.

(PS I can recommend 'Piano Shop on the Left Bank' by T E Carhart to anyone interested in pianos, its non-fiction by the way)

#38 Guest: mrbouffant_*

Guest: mrbouffant_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:43

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Feb 7 2008, 11:32 AM) View Post

(PS I can recommend 'Piano Shop on the Left Bank' by T E Carhart to anyone interested in pianos, its non-fiction by the way)

I concur! A charming book which makes me want to visit Paris (as, indeed, does Amelie - but I doubt I would meet the lovely Audrey Tautou on my travels... *sighs*)

#39 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:01

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Feb 7 2008, 11:32 AM) View Post

Was it Bluthner (Not Bluther), I thought it was a Bechstein ?? Maybe my memory fails me !

Anyway I hope you all have great day. smile.gif Pity I'm only in Headingley two days each midweek.

I think you know rather more about pianos than I do so I'm sure you're right!

Thanks for the good wishes smile.gif

#40 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:08

I was shopping for work today and spied this lovely chocolate cake. I begged me to buy it to share at Leeds. If you're very lucky I might bring it along with me that's if we don't eat it first laugh.gif

#41 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 07 February 2008 - 19:06

QUOTE(notmusimum @ Feb 7 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post

I was shopping for work today and spied this lovely chocolate cake. I begged me to buy it to share at Leeds. If you're very lucky I might bring it along with me that's if we don't eat it first laugh.gif

wub.gif Thank you! Can't wait! biggrin.gif

#42 Guest: DaisyChain_*

Guest: DaisyChain_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 20:36

Best wishes to you, Skylark and to everyone taking part tomorrow. Enjoy the day. Looking forward to seeing the pictures! smile.gif

#43 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 20:52

Thank you Daisy! Hope your day goes well tomorrow too smile.gif

Message to the train travellers - I had a reccy to Headingley station today and I think I'll hover in the car at the entrance by the car park. I think there's only one exit but just in case there's an alternative pedestrian exit, go uphill rather than down! (on to Kirkstall Lane).

Look forward to seeing everybody tomorrow!

#44 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 20:55

Have a wild time, all. Then come to Anglesey on March 8th and 9th. biggrin.gif

#45 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2008 - 21:01

QUOTE(petrat @ Feb 8 2008, 08:55 PM) View Post

Have a wild time, all. Then come to Anglesey on March 8th and 9th. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

You've no chance - they won't be able to find the form! biggrin.gif

(...after much searching I've now found it... if anyone else wants it, it's in the first post on the Calendar thread - 's obvious innit! biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the good wishes petrat!