#1 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 11 May 2018 - 16:52

Ooops!  I seem to have acquired a new violin and he/she (haven't decided yet, but am currently going with a temporary name of "Beyonce fiddle") has a very broad booty (approx. 22cm).

The case it came in is so moth-eaten (not literally, but definitely on its last legs) that it is now in the garage.  The trouble is "Beyonce" doesn't fit in any of my "nice" cases (ie ones with a bit of protection).  The only case it fits in is one of those hard plastic cases, with no padding, no neck restraint.  The kind of case that comes with a cheap violin. 

So my question is, can anyone recommend a case with a bit more room for the fuller figured violin?  The nearest violin shop is around three hours away, so I'd like to have an idea of what might be a good fit before hauling me and "Beyonce" there.

TiA.  smile.png

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 11 May 2018 - 21:57

I have an oblong case which measures 22cm at the widest point of the shaped recess. I got it from my local shop a few years ago but unfortunately there is no maker's name or identifying mark at all. It is a cheap but quite nice Chinese one, lightweight expanded polystyrene with a nylon cover and various pockets inside and out.  Maybe you could ring round and explain your needs.

#3 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7073 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 11 May 2018 - 22:08

Have you looked at viola cases?  They should be wide enough and it is easy to fill in a little extra space around the instrument.  I have a 15 inch viola but a 17 inch case, and just roll up an old T-shirt around the sides of the viola.  I was going to make a sausage shaped cushion thing, but never got round to it (the T-shirt does a good job, so making a special thing seems unnecessary).  It keeps it snug and it is perfectly secure even though the case is supposedly too big.

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 22:21

Thank you. I did wonder about viola cases. And good to know that a no-name case might be an option rather than a Musafia custom build.

#5 BrokenChordsGirlCG169

BrokenChordsGirlCG169

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Member: 897683
  • south-east

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:37

Ew. Disgusting casual sexism.
I hope you don't teach teenage girls and wonen.
Tempted to report this.
You insulted my musical ability, not sure about yours if you're so immature you're thinking about your inanimate object violin as a woman, you freak.

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:56

BCG 169  -  As someone whose signature advocates being kind ("Be kind, for everyone you meet  is fighting a hard battle") I am rather shocked by your personal attack on me.

You don't appear to play the violin, so let me educate you.  There is a long tradition of naming one's violin.  In the forum archives there are whole threads dedicated to the topic.  Amateur players tend to choose female names (perhaps because of the instrument's high voice) however famous violins tend to be named after men.  There are a few exceptions, such as The Mary Portman and The Lady Blunt, but in general the names are male.  I decided to (in my own small way) redress the balance by naming my instruments after women (real or imaginary) with some kind of cultural significance.

Pandora - The giver of gifts and the first human woman created by the Greek gods.  She gave me the gift of making music.

Calypso - A Greek goddess, known for her singing voice, who played the gods at their own game.  She has a loud, powerful voice which could carry out to sea as did Calypso's.

(For now)  Beyonce - A powerful independent woman, who (while not perfect) uses her fame to speak out on issues of equality, who famously wrote the song and then sang about being bootylicious.  And as it happens, bootylicious describes the shape of my instrument without invoking the nanny-bot and her asterisks.

As for insulting you (and my) musical ability, I have no idea how you made that jump. Neither do I understand how you make the leap to me being immature, when I am merely following a centuries old tradition, that you obviously know nothing about.

I suggest you take your own advice to be kind, next time you are tempted to make accusations on an open forum.

Edit - I would also like to point out that the inference in your comment is bordering on defamation.

#7 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 12 May 2018 - 15:24

The violin I am currently playing was named Charlie by my younger sister as she used it as her first full size instrument, and the name has stuck.  Helpful when you start gaining a stable of violins in the family ...  (I'll be getting my "good" violin - also first bought for my sister - back off my son soon as his granny is bringing over a brand-new handmade violin for him in 2 weeks' time - exciting!)

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 12 May 2018 - 16:06

Period instruments have problem with cases so they are often made to measure. Kingham will make a case to measure. http://kingham.merion.co.uk probably around £440 

#9 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 16:32

@SingingPython.  How exciting to have a violin made for you (well your son in this case).  I would love to be able to describe what I'm after soundwise and have someone create that for me.  I hope that your son loves his new instrument.

@Tenor Viol.  Thank you.  I will look into Kingham.  That looks a much more affordable option.

#10 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7073 posts
  • N.E. England

Posted 12 May 2018 - 17:47

Ew. Disgusting casual sexism.
I hope you don't teach teenage girls and wonen.
Tempted to report this.
You insulted my musical ability, not sure about yours if you're so immature you're thinking about your inanimate object violin as a woman, you freak.

I am not sure which of us you are attacking here, but none of us had said anything whatsoever about you or your musical ability.  You have may three posts this morning, all of which have appeared to have the aim of attacking forum members.  Why?  

#11 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 12 May 2018 - 18:24

One of my violins is called Gliga (f) the other is Sandra.

Also have a tenor recorder called Nick and a descant called Murk.

smile.png

#12 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:41

I sometimes think I might venture into getting a viola (as I do like that darker sound).  If I ever do, I'm pretty sure it would get a male name, or maybe I'd name it after a husky voiced female, such as Lauren Bacall or Ertha (Kitt).

#13 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7073 posts
  • N.E. England

Posted 13 May 2018 - 22:26

I sometimes think I might venture into getting a viola (as I do like that darker sound).  If I ever do, I'm pretty sure it would get a male name, or maybe I'd name it after a husky voiced female, such as Lauren Bacall or Ertha (Kitt).

I've almost entirely switched to viola.  I enjoyed the violin up to the grade 7-8 transition and then found I didn't particularly like the grade 8+ repertoire.  I found that a lot of it just seemed unnecessarily showy (there seemed to be a lot of making things difficult just for the sake of it).  I enjoy playing the viola repertoire a lot more.  I find it more musical in an expressive sense.  

My viola is very definitely female.  She is called Roseanna.  I have her set up to give a slightly brighter sound with good projection, but still have the richness and depth of the lower strings.  Quite a bit of my playing is in a band and I need her to be able to project against electric instruments.  My violin is called Chloe because her varnish matched the colour of Chloe perfume.

#14 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 00:34

I love the name Chloe. Now I want a Chloe violin. :)

I know what you mean about showy for showy sake. It's interesting what you say about viola repertoire. Saying that, if I could turn in a half decent version of the Bach Chaconne I would be a very happy, but I don't think I'm going to be giving Hilary Hahn a run for her money any time soon, so maybe I'd better start saving for a viola... :)

#15 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:05

You can play Bach cello suites on viola up an octave....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: violin case, recommendations