EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:46

Happy New Year!

Just wondering if anyone has any musical new year resolutions - whether that's to do with playing or listening or anything at all music related?

I've decided to try and learn the rudiments of playing by ear / improvisation. I gave it a go when I got my piano in 2016, but didn't have time as I wanted to focus on my (then) rubbish sight reading. But the sight reading has now almost caught up with my playing, so I will spend half the time I would have spent on that going throught the "Piano by Ear" book I bought two years ago.

I must admit, I do think it's an omission in exam syllabuses, which is why I (and many others) have overlooked this. But I don't really see why sight reading is more (or less) important than playing by ear, so I think both really should be included. I don't really want to join the ranks of Grade 8 musicians who can't pick out Happy Birthday when the occasion arises (actually, as far as I can tell, you could be an FRSM musician and still not be able to pick out Happy Birthday, though I find that highly unlikely!)

So, any other plans for 2019?

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:02

Happy New Year!

By the sounds of it, you'll do well with your improvising. Best of luck, EllieD!

My sight-reading and aural skills are truly dire so I am currently and will continue to try to improve these using the brute force/sledgehammer "well, just practice" method as I've not come across any detailed instruction on how to learn and improve these skills.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17315 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:09

To learn properly , either one of the four Chopin Ballades or one of the four Scherzi. Have dabbled with them for a while, but might manage the 3rd Ballade or Bflat Minor Scherzo

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:55

To continue with the flute and reach intermediate level

#5 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 01 January 2019 - 13:20

This year I would like to finally take another theory exam, either ABRSM grade 8, or the Trinity diploma.  They each cover very different ground, so I may well take both eventually.  To that end, I have purchased a theory course on Udemy by Jason Allen.  It is a four part course which takes you from the very beginning (at a gallop) to the masters level theory.  It appears to be based on the courses that he teaches at Minnesota University and it is very nicely sequenced.  I'm hoping that it will help me bridge the chasm between Grades 5 and 6.

So far I'm a third of the way through the first part, and I'm really enjoying it - and it was only £20 for the first two parts.

#6 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 01 January 2019 - 15:48

a) A couple of years ago I learned a Liszt Study. I got by. I want to get it up to standard so I can do it first shot, "take #1".not have to record n attempts in the hope of a good one.

b) Complete the composition of a set of songs by mid-June at the latest. About half-way through right now. 

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17315 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 16:26

PS to earlier post. Id also like to play Liszt study 'Un Sospiro' properly

#8 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2019 - 17:06

This is a genuine question (certainly not facetious): do you feel you have ever played a piece 'properly', F#m, or do you feel you are perpetually learning and striving?

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17315 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 18:17

This is a genuine question (certainly not facetious): do you feel you have ever played a piece 'properly', F#m, or do you feel you are perpetually learning and striving?

Well I certainly learned pieces properly back in my exam days, which ended in 1965 with ATCL organ (failed)  I also still do weekend piano courses and prepare properly for those.  I am also in a monthly amateur piano group for which I learn something properly to perform ( some of Schumanns Faschingsschwank aus Wien next week) I did think of trying an L dip when I retired in 2012, but there wasnt any reason to do it except for personal satisfaction. LRSM has 'any of the Scherzi or Ballades of Chopin' so I looked at them at that time.  I did learn an LRSM Bach P & F (no 14 Book 2) and was well on the way with  the Beethoven Tempest.  But mostly now I just play stuff for my own amusement rather than too seriously, and never stay on anything for too long if Im not going to perform it.

#10 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 01 January 2019 - 19:01

in that vein, and cross-posting myself from the recorder-thread: I have two main musical resolutions this year. The first is that while I flit around between pieces for fun, I'm determined to keep one or two at a time going, and stick at them until I've learned them "properly". My personal answer to Ligneo fistula's question is that "properly" means I've reached the stage where if I had to play the piece for an examiner, I would feel confident that I'd do myself justice at my current level.

My other resolution is to record myself from time to time, and listen to what I really sound like. It's always educational to take a look at the truth... 

#11 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 01 January 2019 - 19:18

My two resolutions really relate to my plan to sit my Grade 8 in March.

Firstly, I’m determined to improve my sight reading, which I tend to avoid practicing, because I lack confidence. I’m going to hunt through my music and find stuff that I’ve never played to practice with.

Secondly, I want to finally crack Kent Kennan’s Night Soliloquy, a beautiful piece which contains some hideous runs that keep tripping me up. I’ve been putting in lots of work over Christmas and it’s really paying off, I’m so close to nailing it. I love it, and really want to play it for my exam, so hopefully I can do it.

#12 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 01 January 2019 - 20:08

I've stopped making resolutions. There is (hopefully) much more than a year of my life left and I feel I should be looking to my whole future. After all, years are just numbers. If we say we're going to do XYZ then we may or may not achieve that and if we don't, we inevitably feel disappointed, even depressed. And also, we shouldn't discard the old year like a worn out cardigan just because we have a new one. We should store it carefully and remember its comfort as well as its frayed edges and missing buttons.

So ... I'm starting by looking back over the last twelve months or so at what I've achieved or struggled with. I've passed two exams, learnt to shoot a bow and arrow and have learnt how to 's-e-x up' my music theatre performance with a bit of burlesque. On the down side, a knee injury has meant I've had to stop clog dancing, although it has been the decider after a drawn-out dilemma. I went to have fun but the dance leader insists on routines being learnt completely before introducing new ones. The injury precludes that and I - and the dancing - have become very stale. What a good thing we don't learn music like that - I'd still be trying to play pre-grade one pieces if my teacher had that mentality!

I'm going to carry on what I learnt last year - I want to keep learning new styles and techniques on the piano and work towards grade four, although that may not be until 2020; I want to take grade 6 music theatre and intend to watch more of it and learn some more moves and stagecraft and I want (not music related) to keep on improving my shooting.

New things - I'm starting a new exercise class next week relearning a sport I haven't touched since I was at school and the PE teacher asked me why I ever bothered. I'm going to pick up my clarinet again after a long time, with a view to joining a local community orchestra.

On a practical note, I've been planning to redecorate my practice/sewing room for a couple of years, and hopefully I'll get round to it over the next couple of months.

Before all that, though, we have our big day on Saturday - pressies, special dinner, too much to eat and drink, maybe a little jollity. Happy 6th January everyone.

#13 Paola

Paola

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 16051
  • Godalming, Surrey

Posted 01 January 2019 - 23:08

Happy New Year to you all.    My New Year resolution is to take my grade 5 in piano in March which I have been resisting for a long time.  I have had an unsettled and disruptive time in doing this grade and as a result I got stuck in the process.   I know what the resistance is and I didn't want to do the exam and to be honest, I still don't really.  I'm doing it to please my teacher as she wants me to do it.   I know that is not good, but I like my teacher very much and I don't want to leave her; so my resolution is to try to overcome the stuckness and resentment about doing this grade.    I wanted my teacher to give me a test and then move on to grade 6 which I am very excited about doing.   

I wish you all an amazing musical year and progress in whatever you choose to do.

#14 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4443 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:23

Mine is to get involved in musical activities which are genuinely pleasurable, and to reduce the amount of people pleasing I do, which can be very stressful and has not always been appreciated. Am still working on the no word - it seems to be taking me decades to learn how to use this word! wacko.png

#15 tangerine

tangerine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 116120

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:49

Not really a new year resolution, but I'd like to take a tuned percussion exam sometime this year, This would then mean that I've done exams in all disciplines. I've currently got to at least grade 5 in the other areas: brass (5), strings (8), voice (8), piano (8), woodwind (5)and theory (8). It's just a personal challenge as I think it's good for my pupils to see that their teachers never stop learning and I do enjoy the challenge of learning something new (although on exam days I sometimes wonder why I do it!)