Photo

Grade 1 challenge as fund raiser - anyone done this?

challenge

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:34

I seem to recall reading about an idea somewhere that a few people took on the challenge of taking Grade1 in an instrument new to them and within a set time-frame, possibly as a way of raising funds for some cause or other (presumably by getting people to sponsor them).

Has anyone any experience of how this works in more detail?

I am considering suggesting it as a possible fund raiser for a choir I sing with.

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:50

I tried to get my choir interested but they were all too feeble.

#3 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:58

We had a Grade 1 challenge on these Forums a number of years ago. Several of us took up a new instrument (voice in my case) and took Grade 1. As I recall there was no fixed timescale, but most people took between one and two terms. We organised our own sponsorship for a charity of our choice, and the whole thing was very informal.

I've heard about others where a group of people in one location did this, and they arranged an examiner visit for all the Grade 1s. I remember an examiner telling me about one she had examined and she really enjoyed it. :)

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:13

Are you thinking of the Making Music Grade 1 Challenge run as part of the BBC’s "Get Creative campaign" a few years ago? Exams were taken in winter of 2015.

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5739 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:05

We had a Grade 1 challenge on these Forums a number of years ago. Several of us took up a new instrument (voice in my case) and took Grade 1. As I recall there was no fixed timescale, but most people took between one and two terms. We organised our own sponsorship for a charity of our choice, and the whole thing was very informal.

I've heard about others where a group of people in one location did this, and they arranged an examiner visit for all the Grade 1s. I remember an examiner telling me about one she had examined and she really enjoyed it. 

Maybe we could do another one in 2019? I think it would be fun. There don't have to be many of us to enjoy it. 

#6 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:54

well I did wonder along the lines that in the choir I am thinking of I am certain there are a number of instrumentalists on a range of instruments (more if you include some 'better halves') who may be willing to give sufficient support to get started without forking out for private lessons as that would deter a good number from taking part

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:14

I've heard about others where a group of people in one location did this, and they arranged an examiner visit for all the Grade 1s. I remember an examiner telling me about one she had examined and she really enjoyed it. smile.png

I imagine the examiner struggled to be impartial knowing that the candidates were all doing it for charity!! 

I would do something like this except I don't know enough people to get sponsorship, but good luck to anyone trying it as it sounds fun!

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3362 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:53

I have this maybe misguided feeling that examiners are trained to be impartial whoever their candidates are.

#9 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:39

I've heard about others where a group of people in one location did this, and they arranged an examiner visit for all the Grade 1s. I remember an examiner telling me about one she had examined and she really enjoyed it. 

Maybe we could do another one in 2019? I think it would be fun. There don't have to be many of us to enjoy it. 

Misterioso this sounds fun and I'd definitely have a go provided my work schedule permits

#10 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:28

Do the exam board donate exam fees to charity too?

#11 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7358 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 January 2019 - 15:24

Do the exam board donate exam fees to charity too?

You are, of course, joking!

#12 vron

vron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 06 January 2019 - 21:08

Think this could be a fun challenge to do but.... as mentioned in another thread the cost of the exam has now become ridiculous and would put me off doing this.

Out of interest what instrument would people choose to take this challenge - hypothetically of course

#13 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 06 January 2019 - 21:53

I'd be up for that. Maybe recorder for me. Could raise funds for a national charity or just a small or local one.

#14 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 06 January 2019 - 21:58

I have this maybe misguided feeling that examiners are trained to be impartial whoever their candidates are.

My old band director was a Trinity examiner. He always used to joke that if, as a candidate, I should walk into his exam room, then he would exercise total impartiality and ... fail me! laugh.png

Seriously, though, he said inevitably such things did happen on occasion and yes, he did try to remain completely impartial when they did.

#15 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 06 January 2019 - 22:35

I'd be up for that. Maybe recorder for me. Could raise funds for a national charity or just a small or local one.

I was thinking recorder, too - anything else'd be far too expensive to buy and there's nobody to borrow from. Used to have a nice wooden one as a child - never got very far with it though - it wasn't taught at school.