Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 09 July 2019 - 18:05

Having seen Misterioso’s post in the French Thread I was reminded of something which you musicians, particularly organists, might know of but might be new and helpful for others.
Here, each year special services are held in various towns for parents who have lost a child, or had a miscarriage. An organist friend plays at one and it is very moving. Whole families take part and it is a chance to say goodbye, for the siblings perhaps more consciously than at the funeral which takes place in such stress.
I had a look in the internet and it seems that there is an organisation in England under www.sayinggoodbye.org > Menu > Remembrance Services which looks similar. It might be worth looking at for those who would be glad of the chance to grieve without being “cheered up” by well-meaning friends.

#2 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19867 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 09 July 2019 - 21:23

Yes Saying Goodbye - it is run by Zoe Clark-Coates.

https://www.sayinggoodbye.org/

#3 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:13

Thanks mm. Do you personally know more about her, or the organisation? I found it through the 'back door',  linking directly to the open services, like we have here;  I was a bit disturbed when I opened the main page to see how much was about Zoe Clark-Coates herself. Normally this puts me off sites - to a Swiss way of thinking, it sounds very American. (Sorry guys). However, looking at her history, this is all valid. Stories of what pain families go through, not only through the loss, but through total incomprehension of the situation from folk who should know better, are pretty horrific. Widows and widowers don't fare much better either. When will we learn?

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19867 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 10 July 2019 - 13:08

Not me personally, but I know a number of people who’ve been helped enormously by the Saying Goodbye organisation.

I do know what you mean about Z C-C. But she has done a huge amount to raise the profile and understanding of baby loss.

If that means that parents are less likely to feel they have suffer alone, behind closed doors, or to put up with the wrong kind of reaction, that has to be good.