mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4563 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 16 May 2017 - 21:16

A few people seem keen to report their horticultural findings and experiences, and I've no idea how far back to trawl to dig out the last thread on the subject -so let's start a new one.

OH ordered 2 x 200 litre water butts and linked them together to catch the rain from the garage roof. (Two already in place by the shed- small roof so catches little rain).

After 2 days of only moderate rain the things are absolutely full! Have transferred probably 20 gallons of rainwater from the new into the shed water butts. Yay!

Will now probably have the wettest summer on record. :rolleyes: But at least my bag-grown potatoes will not go thirsty.

#2 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 16 May 2017 - 22:12

Can this gardening thread be used to discuss garden sheds? If so, we went to a well known DIY/builders merchants store today ( the one that has its name on it) to order  timber to repair the shed. The cladding timber comes in packs 2.4 metres long so won't go inside my estate car. Advised that delivery certainly not this week, may not be next week either. Decided to go back home and order from t'internet, but not until we return from holiday.

In the mean time I have an overgrown Japanese quince tree to prune, as well as a massive cherry laurel. The woody prunings  get cut into short lengths and are consigned to the composting wheelie bin, which we are now being charged for to be taken away. I have four fairly large compost heaps for the softer green material.

#3 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4563 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 16 May 2017 - 22:56

Charged? That's no way to encourage the population to recycle. Positively invites fly-tipping. Would it be worth getting a shredder if these trees produce a lot of growth?

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19726 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:31

Yes, we now pay to have garden waste taken away. On the plus side, it does seem to be a reliable service.

We also have a shredder, which is rather noisy but effective, and we are able to get several times as much into the recycling bin each time.

#5 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:36

My pyracantha hardly flowered at all last year but this year it's laden with blossom which is on the point of bursting forth.

On the other hand, my griselinia has suddenly died.  It's always been very healthy, grown new leaves/branches very quickly, and in fact has been difficult to contain.  It's about 8' tall and the whole of one side has gone brown.  The other side is showing signs of going the same way.  The plants around it still look healthy so I can't think what's gone wrong with it.

#6 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:29

I'm trying to revive the violet horned poppy (now extinct in the UK due to the spraying of arable crops). I found a source of seeds (eventually!) and think I have some coming up in my seed tray (or are they dandelions?) Also, my post grade 8 piano student picked "Music in the Garden" out of my treasure chest of random musical tasks (stuff not covered by ABRSM syllabuses) two weeks ago and he is now growing his own violas which I have custody of cos he is moving house.

#7 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:05

Following introduction of charging for removal of our green wheelie bins, at the start of this year, I have reduced our usage from two bins to one simply by cutting the woody prunings into smaller pieces. In late summer and autumn I trim the beech hedges and this will determine if I need a shredder, or need to reinstate the garden bonfire, or pay for a second bin next year.

I could tell a tale of why the green bins are being charged for but this would be off topic.

#8 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:13

I shouldn't worry about being off topic Rhubarb Triangle friend! Garden waste disposal and sheds are all relevant - I'm just glad that Mel2 reinstated a garden thread for us to have some fun with!

#9 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4563 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:19

Garden bonfire seems to be the way to go. At present we are not charged for removal of (in our case, brown bins) other than through the council tax but I sense the gleam in the LA's eye.
What happens about the kitchen compost caddy? We have to put ours in the brown bin and I hate to think what would ensue were it not collected frequently.

On the subject of shrubs turning brown and keeling over, my jasmine is on a west-facing wall and has brown patches. I suspect it suffered from the recent cold, windy weather and then warmed up too suddenly. I lost 40% of my French beans in the cold windy snap so have re-sown some.

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6341 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:37

Hey Norway - where did you find your source of seeds for the violet horned poppy?  I like having things "of interest" growing in the garden - like a little patch of violas that I received from my late great aunt who had received them from her father - obviously not exactly the same plants but several generations further on.

We too pay for our garden waste to be taken away in a green bin, but the little kitchen caddy is emptied weekly by a separate system, so we don't end up with smelly kitchen waste hanging about too long.

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 13:52

The nursery is in Wiltshire and is called "Special Plants Nursery". The violet-horned poppy is Roemeria hybrida and is a lovely purple poppy but weirdly not in Papaver or Meconopsis. It took a while to get the catalogue as I think the lady was away abroad at the time. There is a minimum order - you have to get 3 packets but I had green fingered pupils who were interested so they are having a go too. I also have the gorgeous and endangered Pasqueflower in the garden (it flowers at Easter and should have seeds ready by now). If you want some seeds PM me (hopefully there are some - should be - it's pouring with rain out there at the moment).

#12 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 14:55

I admire people who grow their own vegetables. Our garden is boulder clay and we have too many trees as well as hedges creating shade. We do have some apple and pear trees, including a nice sized Bramley. Obviously I have a small rhubarb patch but it could do with some farmyard manure.

#13 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 15:46

What variety of rhubarb? I only have one plant but it is good and doesn't bolt. (Timperley Early)

#14 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5531 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 17 May 2017 - 16:01

What variety of rhubarb? I only have one plant but it is good and doesn't bolt. (Timperley Early)

We have a rhubarb plant that isn't. It's one of those ones that looks like rhubarb, sprouts at an alarming rate, and has decided to plonk itself in the middle of our driveway. Weed or not? :unsure:

#15 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4351 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 16:17

Not sure. Does it smell of rhubarb when you crush it?