#61 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 February 2018 - 22:21

Well, when I checked today my hedgehog was no longer there. The box  was empty and he wasn't in the garage. However, the food was gone so perhaps he was just awake from hibernation too early and needed a meal. I'll be keeping a look out for him..

#62 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:39

Because of the warnings of long and hard frost I  removed the cheaper and non frost resistant versions of my anti mole devices and brought them indoors. Twenty-four hours later there has been a definite increase in the number of mole hills. I suppose I should be pleased to conclude that the emitters do actually work. Roll on the thaw!

There is one frail little flower bud on my one and only clump of rescued wild primroses. I have been conscientiously covering up the clump every evening to protect it from overnight frost.

The garden birds are costing me a small fortune in seed and grease balls. But they are a pleasure to see.

#63 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:22

Where are you all? I seem to have this thread  all to myself at the moment. Come back gardeners! 

Yesterday I got the lawn tractor out and did the first cut of the year. I did this because rain or snow is forecast followed by a warm up and that means knee high grass if i don't go into action at once. I also ran over all the mole hills to flatten them. Guess what - two new ones this morning!

#64 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19695 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:02

We’re all hibernating !!

Am feeding the birds, and moving a lovely planted pot in and out at various times. Otherwise not much!

And argh - just realised I forgot to bring said pot indoors last night. It’s in a semi-sheltered porch, but open on the north side - the coldest night of the year so far. It seems to have survived.

#65 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:47

The bird food (& uneaten cat food -don't worry, she's geriatric and isn't intetested in hunting ANYTHING!) has been covered with snow already. Planning this year's raised beds and have seed potatoes chitting on windowsill. (Arran Pilot)
OH planted 2 step-over apples last week one dessert -Elstar,iirc and a cooker Arthur Turner. Don't expect any fruit this year but looking forward to some blossom on other trees.

#66 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3107 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:04

I have a few mini daffodils starting to flower but the heads seem smaller than usual. They're Tete a Tete. Anyone else found this?

#67 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:46

Ah, glad to see some gardeners out of hibernation!  My garden, this morning is under about 20 centimetres of snow. I nearly froze to death trying to feed the poor birds - and the snow is still falling. A little robin came right up to the kitchen door. I felt I would like to let him in!

Just have to wait and see what has happened to the plants when the  snow melts.

#68 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:32

My single wild primrose is now a small clump of primroses. Some of the bulbs I planted this year have flower buds. The tulips have also flowered but the older bulbs remain blind. I have given the grass its second cut of the year (and squashed the mole hills at the same time). Our forsythias are in full bloom. There are little grey catkins on our pussy willow tree.

Not in my garden but in other people's gardens and along the roadside on the way to school  the mimosas are in bloom - I just love that. Spring is on its way!

#69 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5936 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 12 March 2018 - 14:25

My Tete a Tete daffs have finally flowered in the tubs this weekend. That tells you how cold it's been - in a mild winter they flower early Feb. and usually by mid-Feb. Into March means it's been cold.

#70 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1708 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:06

My hydrangea has got a lot of healthy leaves growing but no sign of any burgeoning flower heads.  I can't remember when the flower heads usually peep through.  One year I didn't get any flowers and I'm hoping it's not going to be another of those years.  Can anyone else see flower heads breaking through on their hydrangea yet?

#71 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4507 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:11

Probably a bit early for hydrangeas to be sending out flower buds, although one I have near the front door (East facing) has some buds. There's a petiolaris round the corner in a very shady spot that is putting out lots of leaf growth.
Maybe different varieties flower at different times.

#72 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 22:19

My one and only hydrangea probably doesn't count  as I"m a long way south but it has two flowers in full bloom though the petals have a lot of little holes in them as if someone has pierced them! I only bought it this year so it's a baby just out of its pot. I've tried hydrangeas before but they have died. I'm hoping this one will  survive.

#73 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7020 posts

Posted Today, 08:41

Does anyone know what to do about tomato plants that have turned brown and are rotting? I suppose this is because of the immense amount of rain we have had. I wanted not to treat them with chemicals so tried taking off the infected parts but the disease is faster than me. What should I have done and how can I avoid this in future?