Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6537 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:26

2 Prep Tests and a grade 3 this morning. Prep Tests were very happy and had a good write up so I'll just be waiting for the Grade 3 result.

Several more exams to be taken on different dates next week and towards the end of the exam session.  I've got nearly as many individual entries as candidates what with different boards and centres due to trying to sort out different dates.

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3547 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:27

2 grade 1s and a grade 2 piano this morning. They've got a Special Visit at their school. Advantage is that they've all tried the piano. Disadvantage they've had an incredibly busy few weeks with school exams, weekend play rehearsals, trips etc.Think they'll be fine but it's been stressful. I've got a grade 2 trinity tomorrow and she's fine. And an adult grade 2 on July 22nd. No high grades this time sadly.

#3 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6537 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted 25 June 2019 - 21:55

Adding a G2 and G1 to the list this week. They seemed happy enough with their performances, so just waiting to see whether the examiner thought so too!

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 25 June 2019 - 22:05

Two different centres and a couple in a special visit in late July this time. One grade 1, one grade 2, one grade 3 , one grade 4, two grade 5's, one grade 7 and a grade 8. High expectations for them all this time - all are potentially very strong candidates, all possible distinctions on the right day. ..... If all goes to plan. Only the first centre done so far. No one cried. Good sign!

#5 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6537 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:48

Phew - quickest result I've ever had from AB. Merit for G3 which is about right. Happy with that. biggrin.png

#6 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:15

That is quick! I have Trinity exams on the 6th July - 2 grade 2s, a grade 3 and a grade 5, all piano. AB grade 2 flute on the 8th. They should all do well except one of the grade 2 pianos who hasn't practised much and is now on holiday. He may scrape a pass but nothing more - his parents were warned. I suggested extra lessons a couple of weeks ago, and they said they would leave it until nearer the exam - I'm not sure one extra lesson a couple of days before is really going to make much difference when he can't get through the pieces without pausing to find notes!

#7 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2733 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 27 June 2019 - 17:01

My only practical exam was a Grade 2 this morning, Her dad texted afterwards to say that it all sounded okay 'through the wall' but that she was upset about the sight reading being so hard. This is a pupil who has always struggled with sight reading and has found the increase in difficulty from Grade 1 to 2 very challenging. I've tried really hard to help her with this but some pupils just don't seem to 'get it', whereas others seem to just sail through. Her pieces were sounding very good at the last lesson, although scale fingering was still a bit erratic after many, many reminders to get the patterns learned. I always write down a predicted mark after the last lesson (that only I see) and I'm usually close, but I'm not too sure this time.  

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3547 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 27 June 2019 - 17:38

Well my grade 2 said today, I don't think I got the sight reading right but it sounded good!

#9 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2733 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:04

Well my grade 2 said today, I don't think I got the sight reading right but it sounded good!

laugh.png

#10 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7624 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:57

Congratulations to all who have had results.

Best wishes to all who have exams to come.

Nerve calming chocolates, wine, fresh air - whatever suits - to all those still waiting for results.

#11 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Member: 4110
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 28 June 2019 - 20:10

Just one Grade 3 practical on 19th June (3 weeks earlier than requested!) but got a distinction mark online this evening...

smile.png

#12 Doodle

Doodle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Member: 889296

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:48

Well done to all pupils and teachers who have taken their exams so far.  My little group will be next week on the 10th - I was quite pleased with the date as last session we were given the first week!  I wonder whether ABRSM take note of that?  ie. they gave me an early date when I requested the penultimate week last session, so gave me a later one this time.  Probably not!

Anyway, fingers crossed to all still waiting for exam dates and results.  I have one grade 5 theory result to come, plus one grade 5 piano and three piano Prep Tests.

#13 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2733 posts
  • Manchester

Posted 05 July 2019 - 20:05

Result in already for my Grade 2 girl - exam last Thursday. She got 127 and she's delighted. We knew the sight reading mark would be low (she got 12) but she got good marks for everything else, including 18 for aural. It's a higher mark than I had expected, so I'm very pleased. 

#14 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19862 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 05 July 2019 - 20:49

I’m joining you on the bench this afternoon - a grade one and a grade two, Two boys - both thought it went fairly well.
They will be glad it’s done (as am I,) as I’d asked for an earlier week, and the pieces were starting to get stale.

I think they should be ok, although the older one is more likely to suffer from nerves. The younger one’s pieces were note perfect on Thursday.

Well done to you and your pupil, Jenny.

#15 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6537 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted 05 July 2019 - 21:38

G2 Trinity came out with a distinction so we were both very pleased. Still waiting for G1 AB, and have added G7 Trinity to that - fingers crossed - this time last week he was in China on work experience. ninja.gif  It was only by searching carefully that I found an exam place and time he could do - he's off with school choir next week!

Just 2 more to take their exams on Sunday and then it will be just a matter of waiting for results.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exams