willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • Member: 4110
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 17 February 2017 - 17:03

Here I am, hiding under the bench as usual after today's car crash/multiple pile-up.

Not our finest hours but at least they're done.  I'll just stay down here to avoid the flying debris...

W :wacko:

#2 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:42

I've crawled out already as I have the results!!!  This must be a record as they came in 5 days - 2 of which were the weekend!

VERY relieved to get these results...

G1  - 2xPass (violins)

G2 - 1 Pass (violin), 1 Merit (violin) & 2 Distinctions (violin & guitar)

G4 - 1 Pass (violin) & 1 Distinction (recorder)

G5 - 1 Pass (recorder)

G6 - 1 Merit (violin)

:woot:

#3 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Stoneclough

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:24

Really well done to you and your pupils! I can imagine how pleased and relieved you're feeling. :hurrah:  

#4 Louise H

Louise H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1603 posts
  • Member: 7092
  • West Cumbria

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:06

Congratulations Willobie. Hope you can relax now!

#5 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2818 posts
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 22 February 2017 - 20:34

Thanks - I hardly had chance to warm the bench!

At least it will be in good/hardly used condition for the rest of you...

:D

#6 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Stoneclough

Posted 14 March 2017 - 15:00

I'm now on the bench and feeling more unsure than I've ever done before.

Two of my pupils (two brothers who were transfer pupils, having already had 3 teachers before me) did their piano exams yesterday. They had already started work on their pieces when they came to me and were playing from the 2015-2106 syllabus, so I told their parents after Christmas that they would have to work really hard if they wanted to do the exam this time, or would have to learn pieces from the new syllabus and take the exams later in the year.

They decided to stick with the pieces they were working on and promised to put in lots of practice, so I agreed to put them in for this session. We could certainly have done with a couple more weeks, but the exams came through for 13th March, so I fitted in a few extra lessons and did my very best to get them ready.

The younger boy (Grade 1) worked really hard and should be okay for a Pass, although he has a tendency to play everything too quickly and his sight reading is poor. The older one (Grade 2) had been getting very frustrated with himself when things went wrong and was struggling so much with his A piece that I suggested to the parents that they should consider pulling him out of the exam - something I've never done before. But he worked extra hard last week and I thought he would probably manage a Pass, so he went ahead.

Their mum texted me after the exams, saying that the older one felt he'd done better than he'd expected and was fairly happy (that could mean anything, of course!) but that the younger one had to re-start his first piece and that had really worried him, although he thought everything else had gone okay.

As usual, I've written down my predictions for them (they don't know I've done this) but actually feel I've no idea how it will have gone, whereas my predictions are usually pretty close to the actual result. I know that my feelings are because these boys have only recently started with me and so I'm still getting to know them and their strengths and weaknesses. I will be so relieved if they both pass - a feeling I'm definitely not familiar with.

So an anxious wait for me!      

#7 LouiseW

LouiseW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 10189

Posted 21 March 2017 - 14:31

Results from 9th March found online last night (although I have yet to receive an email from ABRSM)

All 7 passed, 3 with merits but some rather baffling marks.

One lad, who took grade 4 violin last term and got full marks for aural has just failed aural at grade 3 piano (11 marks)?!

Scale marks very flat - 6 out of 7 awarded 16 each and the other candidate 17. They were certainly not all equal in my mind...

It will be interesting to see the comments when the mark forms arrive!

#8 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6174 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 21 March 2017 - 15:38

I shall be on and off the bench like a yo yo this time - 4 pupils - 4 different levels and 3 exam boards. What fun! So at the moment, I've had a success with G2 girl - much happiness all round. Awaiting 1 more result from the weekend, and I little one taking an exam on Thursday.  Then one more next week.

#9 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2677 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 21 March 2017 - 16:14

I'm a bit like that too but all Abrsm. Already had a grade 1 pass from a Special Visit at the end of February. I've got a grade 2,3and 5 next week, then a grade 1, 3 and four grade 2s at 3 different centres the next week.So 5 places altogether and a long period of stress.

#10 elliewelly

elliewelly

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • Member: 4579

Posted 21 March 2017 - 17:03

Not too many for me this term.  I have two Grade 1 clarinets with ABRSM next week (including my younger daughter) who should both do well, and a borderline Grade 3 flute.  My older daughter has Grade 7 Flute a few days later, although she isn't learning with me.  It's Trinity, so she will probably get her result first!

#11 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 22 March 2017 - 22:51

My own children did theirs on 9th March DD1 passed grade 4 piano, although her piece marks were a touch on the low side - and her aural mark is bafflingly low 14... she took grade 4 flute last term (passed with distinction) and got 17?? A couple more piece marks and higher aural would have been a solid merit. She's just missed out, but it's an on the day thing, opinion of one examiner.
DD2 passed grade 1 piano with 121, which i feel is quite generous... being as she stopped and restarted her C piece.
Own pupils - one ABRSM grade 4 clarinet (taken on Monday) 2 LCM step piano exams and a grade 2 clarinet, and a grade 1 & a grade 2 Trinity piano (all next week.)

#12 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:19

I've found aural marks can differ like this. They may have got lucky the first time, or made a couple of silly mistakes the second time. The boy was given a not well known Benjamin Britten piece as the last question at about grade 6 cello, when he was still quite young. He knew what it was, as he'd sung it, so could say it was modern, but then struggled to say why it was modern as it didn't have any of the standard features he might normally have mentioned as making it sound modern. A more confident or older child might have just said that they knew it, but he wasn't sure if that was all right! I know someone, a confident adult, who got a rag at grade 8, and couldn't identify it as such without a great deal of prodding from the examiner, but was still given full marks for the aural. A nervous child would not, I'm sure, have got full marks in the same circumstances.

#13 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6174 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 14:09

I shall be on and off the bench like a yo yo this time - 4 pupils - 4 different levels and 3 exam boards. What fun! So at the moment, I've had a success with G2 girl - much happiness all round. Awaiting 1 more result from the weekend, and I little one taking an exam on Thursday.  Then one more next week.

Result from the weekend was as predicted (by me) - but we are treating it as a "mock" exam, (their request) which I am happy to go along with as I have found it very difficult to convince parent and pupil of the level required for one of the advanced grades. :unsure: 

On the bench again for a little one doing Step 1.  Hope she behaved herself in the exam (why is it that some of the youngest examinees treat exams just like doing a spelling test? - we had this conversation this morning among 3 peris - a certain lack of gravitas on the part of the pupil we felt!! :D  Perhaps a good way to go through life. ;) )

#14 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2048 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 23 March 2017 - 14:23

Oh my goodness, I've been a member here since 2004, I was a member on the previous forum and my membership number is under 500!!!! How have I never read a bench post before, I didn't know what it was.  :rofl:  :o

So I'm well and truly on the bench this time.

A grade 5 theory who could go either way.

3 Trinity grade 1's 1 should get Distinction, the other 2 are in the please God let them pass category. (PGLTP) 

AB grade 1 who would have got Distinction had she entered last term so I really hope she's not too stale

AB grade 2 also PGLTP

AB grade 4 should be ok I hope. 

Thank you all for providing the Bench, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to find it  :lol:

#15 Hils

Hils

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Member: 7416

Posted 23 March 2017 - 14:34

Couple of nice results already in for mine, including a high distinction and a merit at Grade 8 and 6 respectively.  My PGLTP is today along with a few others who should do pretty well.  But who knows really - this term includes my first Leisure Play candidate so no idea how to predict for that one!  :unsure:

I'll put the kettle on...