Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 13 March 2019 - 22:34

Aaaargh!!
Well, since I last posted, my teacher made an unexpected decision to give up flute teaching, due to having changed career path. (Nothing to do with me, I'm quite easy-care!) But not so jolly with the G7 exam coming up probably early May, and I hadn't had a lesson for several weeks while she was doing various exams before she dropped the bombshell.
However, I found someone else, an even longer drive away, ????and had my first lesson with him. Excellent (him), not so wonderful (me). I'm feeling a bit woeful about my scales, even though I practice consistently in the limited time I have. He's given me a couple of slightly different practice techniques which I hope will help them stick better. And suggested I change one of my pieces to make a more varied programme .....

Good luck to all!

(Edit, something went wrong when sending.)

#32 gav_1988

gav_1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Member: 416492

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:43

I hope everyone's preparation is going well.

I am just home from my flute G8 exam, and it was definitely not my finest performance. On a positive note, my unaccompanied piece sounded the best it's ever done, but I made obvious mistakes in both of the accompanied pieces, and got totally lost in one of them, although I did carry on and managed to get it together with the pianist again and we finished off OK. Scales were OK, although I really messed up one (if not two) of them, and there were definitely some stuffy notes. Aural was dreadful and sightreading OK.

It was still a positive experience though. My unaccompanied piece sounded amazing with the acoustics in the church, so I really enjoyed playing it. Both the rep and examiner were really nice, unlike the rather po-faced ABRSM examiner when I did my G1 saxophone exam.

Hopefully I've managed to pass, but I suspect I'll have scraped through and no more. I'm reminding myself that I can play better than I did today, and nerves were definitely a factor. I shouldn't have to wait too long for results, as they apparently get put in the post towards the end of the week.

I'm now looking forward to learning some new music and having a break from scales, and maybe working on my piccolo playing. My teacher says he has plans for what to do next, so I'm excited to see what ideas he has.

Good luck to my fellow spring term examinees!

Fingers crossed for you! Don't forget that it's not the end of the world if you play a wrong note or two (or three) - I made several very obvious errors in one of my pieces in my grade 5 sax and got the highest mark out of my three for that one. The impression I've got from my last couple of exams is that they're much more interested in things like mood, character etc- more stylistic stuff rather than being note perfect. It sounds like it went better than you probably think it did, to be honest :)

#33 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 889203
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:04

Fingers cross for a good result HF.  I think the fact that you kept going when you got a bit muddled counts for a lot and overall it sounds like you've done ok.  Hope you don't have to wait too long for the results.

My exam's on Monday and I'm really quite worried about it as two of my pieces are still really troublesome and aural's beyond hope despite a lot of work.  Another weekend of solid practice in store.  Whatever happens I'll be so glad when it's over and I can start learning new things.

#34 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:20

Good luck, BMEpiano.  I'm sure it will come together on the day!

#35 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:06

Good luck, BMEpiano! I'm sure with a weekend of decent practice, things will come together.

And thanks for the reassurance, Gav. I've woken up today convinced I've failed, but you've helped me feel a bit more positive. My accompanist thought the style/character sounded good, and in places were the best we'd played together, so hopefully that will balance the obvious errors.

It's frustrating when I was note perfect practicing the night before, but nerves really did get the better of me. My teacher had done a good job of working on teaching me how to carry on despite mistakes, something which I used to find really difficult, so that definitely paid off, because a few months ago there's no way I could have caught up with the pianist again when I got lost.

According to the rep, the results will be in the post by the end of the week, so I won't have to wait too long to learn my fate.

#36 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 18 March 2019 - 20:10

Well, grade 8 exam today was a complete car crash. Scales were a total disaster and I couldn’t get beyond the start of the 3rd line of the first piece. Called it quits at that point. A combination of a terrible case of nerves and huge worry about my brother who’s very ill indeed. The examiner was the most lovely woman - really kind and understanding - who has asked ABRSM to reschedule me for another time during this session. Very cross with myself now.

#37 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2019 - 20:21

Well, grade 8 exam today was a complete car crash. Scales were a total disaster and I couldn’t get beyond the start of the 3rd line of the first piece. Called it quits at that point. A combination of a terrible case of nerves and huge worry about my brother who’s very ill indeed. The examiner was the most lovely woman - really kind and understanding - who has asked ABRSM to reschedule me for another time during this session. Very cross with myself now.

So very sorry to read about your brother.  Try not to think about the exam and concentrate on your family - we get only one; exams can be taken many times.  All the best.

#38 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 20:42

So sorry to hear your brother is so unwell. Such things are bound to be at the front of your mind, so don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s good that you had a sympathetic examiner. Best wishes to both you and your brother.

#39 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 18 March 2019 - 23:25

Your concern for your brother has probably affected you more than you realised - it's often only when there's another stressful situation that this becomes apparent.

Glad you had a sympathetic examiner and I'm sure you will do just fine at the rescheduled exam.

:)

#40 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:29

Thank you all very much for you kind comments.  I think Cyrilla's absolutely spot on and I only realised how much it's affecting me when I left the exam and was actually driving over to see him.  It seemed rather self indulgent to think I'm not quite myself when he's in such a bad way.

Looking back it felt strangely like someone had replaced my hands with those of someone who'd never played a note.  They had a life of their own and wouldn't comply with a single message from my brain.  I'll now wait and see if another appointment is offered but am not going to stress about it.

Thank you all again.

#41 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 19:56

I got my results through today, I passed, with a mark of 70/100, which is a good solid pass, so I’m very happy with that, given how I felt things had gone.

The piece I thought had gone the best got the lowest mark, and the one in which I’d got lost got the highest, which just goes to show you just can’t tell. I did terribly on the aural though, just as expected!

#42 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2019 - 20:12

I got my results through today, I passed, with a mark of 70/100, which is a good solid pass, so I’m very happy with that, given how I felt things had gone.

The piece I thought had gone the best got the lowest mark, and the one in which I’d got lost got the highest, which just goes to show you just can’t tell. I did terribly on the aural though, just as expected!

Congratulations! Well done.

#43 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:00

I got my results through today, I passed, with a mark of 70/100, ...

The piece I thought had gone the best got the lowest mark, and the one in which I’d got lost got the highest, which just goes to show you just can’t tell. 

Congratulations! smile.png  Really confusing markings! Just goes to show it's really hard to be our own judge!

#44 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:48

Thank you!

There were really only a couple of marks difference between each piece, so I was much more consistent that I felt.

My teacher had been muttering about my doing a diploma next, but given how much my nerves affected my playing, that's definitely off the cards.

#45 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:26

Great news helen_flute. Congratulations. So pleased for you.