mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 15 January 2016 - 16:10

Just listening to 'Last Word' on R4 and hearing for the first time of the death of Ed Stewart. :(

How did I miss that? I loved Junior Choice long after reaching adulthood. The programme on Christmas Day was one of the highlights of the season for me, and I was singing along to all the old songs ( Viva Bernard Cribbins!) that you so rarely hear any more now that childrens' programming (where it exists; almost extinct now on the radio apart from on 4 Xtra)  is so heavily pop- influenced.

Sparky's Magic Piano was a bit weird, though! :ninja:

#2 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6470 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 15 January 2016 - 16:27

Dear me - hopefully he's the 3rd one this week (more or less) - and we won't get any more sad news for a bit.

#3 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 15 January 2016 - 20:16

Oh dear- not another one!  :(  Altogether now...CRACKERJACK!  :)  

#4 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 15 January 2016 - 22:09

He died on the 9th...I suspect Bowie dying in the early hours of the 10th meant it got lost (it was on the BBC News home page for a while).

#5 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14577 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 15 January 2016 - 23:28

Yes - agree that the news of Bowie rather eclipsed Stewpot...

I remember the first time my children's choir supported the Croydon Philharmonic Choir at their Christmas concert at the Fairfield Halls, Stewpot was the compère - he was very relaxed and friendly when I was soooo nervous.

Mmmm...three in a week...

:(

#6 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 17 January 2016 - 20:29

Since it was my birthday yesterday I got a phone call which started with a lugubrious male voice (which I soon recognised at my new-is son-in-law) very slowly singing "Happy birthday to you, squashed tomatoes and stew, bread and butter in the gutter, stick your head down the loo". I asked if it was an obituary.

At least he didn't say "'allo darlin' cackle cackle"  :D

#7 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 16 December 2017 - 23:06

You were lucky. I only remember the Stu Francis era of Crackerjack (1982-4). I sincerely hope the aforementioned presenter lives to a ripe old age and dies in complete obscurity - I for one do not wish to have my newsfeed tainted with reminiscences about the ghastly gunge-fest the show had become. That aspect of the show was enough to give me nightmares; to me it looked as if the participants were being vomited upon from a height.

#8 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6470 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 17 December 2017 - 18:00

Gosh that brings back memories. Dare I say that I remember Leslie Crowther and Peter Glaze of Crackerjack fame?  Probably tells the world how ancient I am!

#9 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 25 December 2017 - 23:02

Listened to Junior Choice again today with Anneka Rice.
The dedications and requests show that clearly, lots of other people enjoyed this programme. It might even become a Christmas day regular.
Why don't they write songs like those any more?

#10 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:59

Speaking of music, who else here remembers The Children of Green Knowe? That was the first time I ever heard a Baroque flute.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

#11 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1898 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:38

You were lucky. I only remember the Stu Francis era of Crackerjack (1982-4). I sincerely hope the aforementioned presenter lives to a ripe old age and dies in complete obscurity - I for one do not wish to have my newsfeed tainted with reminiscences about the ghastly gunge-fest the show had become. That aspect of the show was enough to give me nightmares; to me it looked as if the participants were being vomited upon from a height.

Eek!

Crackerjack: Classic BBC children's TV series returning to screens after 35 years

That said, all the reports I've seen so far indicate that it's going to be more Double & Drop than Take a Chance - but I'm still giving it a wide berth.