• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Member: 897683
  • south-east

Posted 30 May 2017 - 22:11

Hello all,

Just that, really.

What time, given the choice, do you prefer for auditions or exams?

Is it true that it's best to be among the first of the day/ morning/ afternoon as the examiner will be fresh? And you don't want to be the last as they'll be tired and wanting to go for lunch/ home. (But maybe the examiner isn't a morning person and will be grumpy so mark more harshly until they've had 4 coffees?)

I know the line is that examiners have to be objective and use the criteria, but they're only human.

Are you a lark or an owl? Would you rather perform when (hopefully) fresh, or do you feel you wouldn't be awake yet and you come to life in the afternoon? On the other hand, then there's longer for nerves to build up in anticipation.

I'm NOT a morning person, and an insomniac. I just wonder whether any advantage to being the first or in the first couple of people would outweigh being tired...on the other hand, as I said, less time for nerves to build up and maybe not quite being awake will lead to less nerves...or I'd just jolt awake of course and have the worst of both worlds. By my body clock I'd prefer one of the last appointments in the afternoon but then the examiner would be tired and sick of hearing the same pieces all day...unless they're an owl too and are just waking up.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness.

What do you think? :D

#2 gemmasue

gemmasue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:34

Personally, I prefer to have it early as possible.

I'm definitely a morning person, so am (most of the time!) more alert first thing. Also, I'd rather just get it of the way. My grade 5 exam was straight after work- so I had all day to worry about it and no time to practice. My last exam was first thing, so I think I was a bit calmer. Saying that, I got a better mark for the grade 5 than for my last exam. Don't think that had anything to do with time of day though, would've happened any way!

My general attitude to exams is what will be will be!! You can't predict what's going to happen so just have to gove it your best shot, regardless of if the examiner is grumpy or if you are tired!

#3 tangerine

tangerine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Member: 116120

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:08

Personally I don't mind whether its early or late.

However,  I think for higher grade singers it's better to have a later time.

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3251 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:09

I've heard that singers don't like to be first thing in the day. I like to think that examiners would not mark more harshly because they'd been hearing the same pieces all day. Maybe straight after the examiner's lunch would be a good time, when they might be slightly more relaxed!

#5 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:21

Mid to late morning for me. Depending on location a 9am start could mean having to be up not long after 7 and I usually think of 8 as being an early start.

#6 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:55

Definitely an owl, not a lark, so prefer later in the day.  Used to have 10am singing lessons and that was far too early!

#7 BrokenChordsGirlCG169

BrokenChordsGirlCG169

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • south-east

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:08

Quite agree sbhoa and Sylvette, 7/8 am is an early start and 10am is too early for lessons.

I'm going to ask them to change the date/ time of my 9.30 exam :D 

Interesting to hear all your thoughts, it's really individual.

#8 BrokenChordsGirlCG169

BrokenChordsGirlCG169

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • south-east

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:13

Latin pianist, I wasn't insulting the professionalism of examiners. Just saying they're human.

What are you implying with more 'relaxed' after lunch? :D Tbf I couldn't be an examiner, might resort to an ahem, liquid lunch after a morning of G1-3 young kids who squeak, scrape, etc and haven't learned their scales :rolleyes: Not insulting kids either! Otoh it must be magical hearing the really talented candidates!

#9 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6542 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:21

I've had two teachers as an adult, both of whom were 40 minutes drive away in favourable traffic.  I only did exams with the first teacher, and they were at the centre in the middle of the town he lived on the (nearest-to-me) edge of.  So in good traffic, you could get from my house to the exam centre comfortably in 50 minutes.  The problem for me is that for something like an exam, I'd add at least 30 minutes on to that.  And that's if it is in sensible traffic time.  If it's going to be a 9am exam, then I'm going to be leaving the hosue by 7am given how busy that town is and the school/commute traffic along the way - actually not a problem for me, but potentially difficult for those who have to get children to school, etc.

Out walking recently, I went past a community centre about 15 mins amble from my house, to find it had ABRSM 'quiet please exam in progress' signs up.  Convenient, perhaps, but I'd be more likely to travel to wherever would be easiest for the accompanist than make them travel to me.

I don't think I'm a natural lark - but Mr Maizie gets up at 5am latest for work, so even my usual getting up time of 6.30 seems like a lay in :D

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:29

Morning time, but not first on the list, nor too near lunchtime when blood sugar (of examiner) is low.  Nor directly after lunch (snooze time), but maybe 3-4pm would be ok.  You can see how choosy I am - but generally we take what we are given.

The only time we were very disappointed was with DS's grade 7 trumpet exam which was first thing and his lip hadn't really wakened up.  Trumpet teacher wasn't very happy.

#11 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:42

Quite agree sbhoa and Sylvette, 7/8 am is an early start and 10am is too early for lessons.

I'm going to ask them to change the date/ time of my 9.30 exam :D

Interesting to hear all your thoughts, it's really individual.

Hope you are joking.

I'd leave the change requests to those who have had exam scheduled for an impossible or exceedingly difficult time or date (or a date that they notified as being impossible at the time of entry!)

#12 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2137 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:02

Definitely afternoon for me- never been a morning person! I don't teach mornings either on most days.  I had a written exam paper  a few years back which was at 10am and i found the combination of early start, exam nerves and 3 hour paper pretty unpleasant but it was just one of those things I had to get on with.

#13 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 01 June 2017 - 18:51

Definite Lark. My favourite time would be morming and luckily my last exam was in the morning.

#14 BrokenChordsGirlCG169

BrokenChordsGirlCG169

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • south-east

Posted 06 June 2017 - 22:41

Of course I was joking sbhoa, what about this clearly lighthearted thread confused you?

There's no need to be so nasty.

Anyone has the right to ask ABRSM to change their exam appointment for whatever reason. ABRSM have the right to say no. It's for them, no-one else to judge whether their reason is good enough. We never know the full picture of what is really going on for someone. I'd get off your high horse. For most of us it's just a preference but someone reading may have genuine deeply personal reasons such as health reasons for needing a particular time of day, and can't 'just suck it up'. They're not being lazy or messing the exam system around for a laugh. FGS.

#15 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3251 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:01

A mother asked me to ring to change her daughter's early time because it was the school prom the night before. I did ask but Abrsm said no!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abrsm, exams