Photo

Piano scales - not sure what to do about this.

piano scales new syllabus

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:53

I read on a recent post that ABRSM are proposing to make changes to the scales for piano exams.  I have a student who is about to start looking at the Grade 3 material, and we've already done a couple of the Grade 3 scales.  She's still quite young and i don't want to rush her plus we'll be looking at some other non-exam related music in lessons, so i think she'll sit the exam (using the current syllabus) in 2019 for the overlap A session.  She might be ready before that though but i'll not know for sure until we make a start.  She does lots of other activities and is also learning a second instrument.  

My issue is, if she does sit the exam in 2019 she'll have to play the new scales so is it worth learning the current scales right now or is it best to wait until July (i'm assuming that's when the new syllabus will come out with details of scales) and begin learning the scales then?  

Or have i totally misunderstood the proposal?

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22911 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 18 January 2018 - 13:00

Whether the change is implemented with the next syllabus or not I'd say ti was worth her learning the current scales.

If there are changes anything already learned is a bonus.

#3 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 18 January 2018 - 13:11

Thanks Sbhoa, yes there would certainly be no harm done in that.

#4 becster

becster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 888990

Posted 18 January 2018 - 14:38

I agree - and what is learned now will help her learn future scales as some patterns will be the same and some similar...

#5 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2069 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 18 January 2018 - 15:07

At the moment, the changes are only proposals, and not yet written in stone. I may be wrong, but I think 2019 would be a bit early for them to be introduced worldwide.

#6 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:17

Morning everyone!
I too am thinking about this, not least because I have a clutch of G2ers who I’d like to get through G3 on the current pieces and this will mean some taking it in the overlap in 2019 meaning that if the scales change with the new 19/20 syllabus they will probably need to do the new scales with the old pieces.
I quoted G1-4 scales in the proposals in the previous thread so look them up. For me, i’m hedging my bets and covering both bases with everyone. So at G1 i’m Pretty much carrying on as I do now, c d g e a maj and min and f maj hsep and any all white note bc because if you get one you can pick up the others easily. At G2, the same but htog plus d chrom, some hs arps and just leaving the 4 note bc for the moment unless I think they’ll do the exam before Xmas. At G3 carrying on with all white note scales, maj and minor, so bringing in B, as the ‘reverse’ of F and then adding Bflat and Eflat which I would do anyway. CM i’m Doing E and A maj so A min wouldn’t be a big step and arps just covering a few that tick 123 and 2124 fingerings.
I’m figuring that if you can play a scale htog then hsep is just a question of reminding - bearing in mind that they can ask you hsep in an exam now and any little extras the kids seem to be fine with if their core fingering patterns are secure.
My gut feeling as I said in the other post is that the proposals are ready to go and it wasn’t more than a token consultation. I’m expecting them in the July books, effective from period A 2019. I can’t see that they’d change them after printing up all the books so if it’s not July it’ll be July 2020 which seems a long way off....

#7 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:51

I found this syllabus update on the ABRSM website this morning.  Looks like the decision has already been made regarding the scales!

https://gb.abrsm.org...llabus-updates/

#8 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2654 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 01 February 2018 - 14:29

Thanks for this! I hadn't spotted it. Looks like some on this thread were right about the proposals becoming reality! 

#9 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 01 February 2018 - 14:31

At least looks as if the 2019 material will be published in time to make a start during the Summer Term. Normally it's not till the Summer holidays.I hope the scale requirements will be made known even earlier than that as we can't be sure they will be what was in the scale survey.

#10 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:23

Well done llewydh on your sharp eyes! Agree with LP though. Wish they’d confirm what the scales changes are....June feels like ‘nearly September’ in teaching terms which starts to feel close to session A!

#11 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3154 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:10

It was the same with the windies.  New scales kick in now although we can still run the overlap on the tunes from the previous syllabus.  I don't think we knew what the new scale requirements were prior to the syllabus coming out in July - can't remember but it certainly made me defer a few who just wouldn't learn the scales as the new ones are so ridiculously dumbed-down they require about a third of the time/effort.

Don't get me started.

Utterly-Disillusioned-Demoralised-Bag x

#12 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19797 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:20

Thanks Llewydh. As others have said - well spotted!

No surprises I guess really. ... I’m doing fewer and fewer exams these days, (just two last term, and one was a Trinity first try.)

Am not at all encouraged by various recent - and obviously pending - changes by AB.

#13 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:59

Depressed. It looks as if we are going to be continually asked to pay more and more  for less and less.

#14 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 02 February 2018 - 22:26

Making me feel liked a tired old grump-a-lump just thinking about these and their endless permutations- let's just hope they don't put those 2s against 3s for grade 8 in using the suggested format- or at least have realised that what they wrote was actually unplayable!

#15 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 09 February 2018 - 22:33

With any students looking at the exams in 2019 I am going to start then learning the scales on the proposal lists. Can't do any harm anyway. I've even printed the lists out, with the proviso that there may be changes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, scales, new syllabus