5 replies to this topic

#1 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893127

Posted 05 February 2018 - 13:17

I'm looking for suggestions of good books that cover piano technique for students. I had piano lessons for two years and reached about grade 4/5 standard, before switching to having music theory lessons. I'm trying to preserve what piano skills I have and hopefully progress further on my own as I'm off to uni fairly soon to do a music degree (violin is my first instrument). Anyone have any suggestions of useful books to work through to develop and learn technique?

I'm also keen to start learning and practising scales again, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good general scales books, aside from the ABRSM grade books etc, which I will probably get anyway.

Thanks! smile.png

#2 michael N

michael N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 309573
  • W.York's UK.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 14:02

Play it again - Melanie Spanswick. Book 1 starts grade 2 ish and ends 4/5. Book 2 begins where that one ends.

Well thought out books,

#3 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 05 February 2018 - 14:33

I'm looking for suggestions of good books that cover piano technique for students. I had piano lessons for two years and reached about grade 4/5 standard, before switching to having music theory lessons. I'm trying to preserve what piano skills I have and hopefully progress further on my own as I'm off to uni fairly soon to do a music degree (violin is my first instrument). Anyone have any suggestions of useful books to work through to develop and learn technique?

I'm also keen to start learning and practising scales again, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good general scales books, aside from the ABRSM grade books etc, which I will probably get anyway.

Thanks! smile.png

Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist has all the scales as well as other technical exercises. It is terribly boring though.  

#4 rhelens

rhelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893127

Posted 05 February 2018 - 14:38

Brill, thanks! Will look into those.

#5 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 06 February 2018 - 23:53

There's a new 'Intermediate piano' series. Book 1 is around Gd 3, 2-Gd 4 and 3 - Gd 5, in using them with teens around this level and they're thoroughly enjoying them. Mixture of technique and repertoire

#6 sam93

sam93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 892964

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:15

Alfred have a terrific series called 'Burgmuller, Czerny and Hanon', which comes in 3 parts and includes actual pieces, such as selections from Burgmuller's op.100 etudes, as well as more technical exercises for dexterity and speed by Czerny and Hanon. Each chapter includes pointers on how to approach the pieces/exercises and how to improve your technique. I'd highly recommend, here's a link to book 1 with a preview...

https://www.alfred.c...k-1/p/00-19676/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, technique, scales, grade 4, grade 5