#1 07_pianist

07_pianist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Member: 888820
  • Philippines

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:16

Hey!!! Just thought to start a thread about your practie strategies. I am pianist and I just want to know what are the practice strategies of everyone here. :)

Whenever I have a new piece, I try to play it at a moderate tempo first before practicing slowly in order to develop sight reading skills.

What are your strategies/rituals in practicing?

#2 playthestatic

playthestatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Member: 50604
  • Singapore

Posted 12 November 2014 - 16:36

Hi! I'm not a pianist, but what I really like to do when practising fast passages is to do them in dotted rhythms, then "reversed" dotted rhythms, and any rhythmic pattern I can think of. I know lots of people know this technique, but it never fails to amaze me how much better my fast passages sound after doing it!

I've also heard that it's good during practice to avoid practising the same passage over and over endlessly. Rather, it's good to change to a different passage after a while, then return to the first one you'd been practising. It's to do with avoiding the feeling of "comfort" from having practised the same passage over and over, which is definitely not the sort of thing that you're going to feel in a performance, and getting used to having to play that passage without having already repeated it like a million times right before. My explanation is not very good, but there's some very interesting psychological research supporting this, described in this excellent article: http://www.bulletpro...pear-overnight/

#3 Hils

Hils

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Member: 7416

Posted 12 November 2014 - 19:23

Hey!!! Just thought to start a thread about your practie strategies. I am pianist and I just want to know what are the practice strategies of everyone here. :)

Whenever I have a new piece, I try to play it at a moderate tempo first before practicing slowly in order to develop sight reading skills.

What are your strategies/rituals in practicing?

Is this to help you in conservatoire interviews/ applications?

You are probably best properly to reflect on your own practice rather than scan other people's if so, then you will talk with conviction.  

To have reached your level of playing I am sure you have many good habits of practising, it is just that they all now seem 'natural' and obvious to you.  Try to make explicit - to yourself, or on here - what they are and how they help you and with which bits of repertoire.  Interviewers can always tell the voice of experience and they will ask follow up questions to test that! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Practice, uni, cukas, piano, classicalmusic, music