sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 31 August 2018 - 19:27

I had 2 lessons with Helen Krizos and one with Megumi Masaki in the 1st week and 3 with Martin Roscoe in the 2nd. All were excellent but I think I particularly benefitted from having 3 lessons from Martin and playing in his 2 workshops, where he gave me some extra help. He was very exacting but also kind and I felt I had to raise my standard for him. It was quite different for me this year as I've usually had teachers I know well for the last few years, but they weren't there this year and I had to try new people, which I think was good experience for me.

Martin was my teacher's teacher. :)

#17 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:54

Rather enjoyed it. 

Had some sight reading lessons with Duncan, some adult amateur classes with Marta and some Kodaly lessons with Megan. Perhaps it goes against of the spirit of the school for saying this but I'm rather relieved that no-one observed my individual lessons. 

#18 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:33

Rather enjoyed it. 
Had some sight reading lessons with Duncan, some adult amateur classes with Marta and some Kodaly lessons with Megan. Perhaps it goes against of the spirit of the school for saying this but I'm rather relieved that no-one observed my individual lessons.

I think it's quite understandable that you would find having your lessons observed rather daunting. I'm quite used to it but didn't have many observers. You have to remember people are really observing the teaching rather than the student, they are often assessing whether the teacher would be a good match for them in future years. I always think if you have a famous concert pianist listening to you, does it really matter who else is there?

#19 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4609 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 01 September 2018 - 17:25

#20 lois

lois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Member: 44946
  • Walsall - West Mids

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:42

Well that was great fun. Awesome teacher and I've returned home feeling inspired. smile.png

I did Walsall again this year. Came out feeling inspired & motivated as usual. Let's see how long it lasts....................

It's moving to Stowe School next year so really looking forward to that biggrin.png