#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 31 January 2019 - 21:57

Is there any way to soften a plastic reed?  I recently bought a box of strength 3 Bravo clarinet reeds after seeing some positive reviews online.  When I tried one however, I couldn't blow it as it was so hard.  I'm now stuck with a (£27) box of reeds I can't use, unless there's a way to thin them out a bit?  I've used Fibracell 3s before and they've been fine.   sad.png

#2 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 13 February 2019 - 19:47

Anyone?  sad.png   I tried filing one down a bit with some glass paper as an experiment and needless to say, that didn't work.  

#3 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:50

Sorry, I cant help, I don't use plastic reeds (mostly because I don't want my teacher to have a heart attack). I just felt someone ought to reply.smile.png

#4 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8053 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:37

I can't think of a way to soften them out either :(

Trying new reeds can be really expensive!

#5 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:14

I would take them back to the shop and explain that they're too stiff, perhaps they will give you some good customer service, at least change your unused reedsrolleyes.gif

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41714 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2019 - 13:30

Anyone? sad.png I tried filing one down a bit with some glass paper as an experiment and needless to say, that didn't work.

I’m sorry :(
I barely visit the forum these days so have only just seen this.
As far as I am aware there is no effective way of softening a plastic reed so jim palmer ‘s advice is probably the best on offer here.

#7 Amayd

Amayd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 897261

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:12

I’ve just bought a Légère synthetic reed for oboe and had the same problem. A YouTube search turned up a suggestion to dip the reed (it was a saxophone reed) in boiling water one second at a time. I tried it with 2 lots of 2 second dips and it seems to have worked. I’ve no idea if it will revert overnight but might be worth a try. It might also have been psychological or I’m getting used to the reed of course . The notes in all registers were easier to sound. It’s also helped me appreciate my cane oboe reeds more too! The experiment continues......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bravo, plastic reeds, clarinet reeds