#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:46

I think I have posted on this before but my digital is sounding won out and when I posted a recording someone said it sounded flat.    I am not sue if it is worth getting someone to look at it or getting a new digital piano.  Mine is an Arius YDP 121 and I have been told there are some better ones out now that sound better.    I do not want to spend more than about £700 but I am getting tired of how my one sounds to be honest

#2 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:54

sorry mine is a yamaha YDP 134

#3 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:54

Before spending a lot of money on a new one, try Googling 'Yamaha keyboard out of tune' or similar phrases.

Or try this -

https://www.yamaha-k...ut-of-tune.html

or this one

https://www.rimmersm...-factory-reset/

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 15:20

Thanks but I cant be bothered.  I am not a piano engineer and would probably make the situation worse.   I phoned a local digital piano tuner and he would not come and have a look because he said he does not repair pianos that are 12 years old.   He said it could be a number of factors and if you try and repair it there is no guarantee it will work and even if it does it may not stay good for long.  His suggestion is to get a new one.   The new ones nowadays are better quality and digital mechanisms have moved on somewhat and there is a brand new model called the Yamaha 144.    I phoned the shop in London and they told me it is good and it is within my price range.     I enjoy playing the piano so I do not really want to play a substandard piano even a patched up one.      This one claims to sound similar to a Yamaha concert grand and mine never claimed to sound like that even when it was new.   Obviously I will have to go to the shop and listen and play it but I really cannot stand my piano for much longer.   

I am going to see if it can be cheaply sold to a raw beginner who doesn't mind it not being top notch because they are just starting and when they improve they will get something better.  Its the same with any instrument.   The more you progress the better quality instrument you need

https://www.yamahamu.../pidNYDP144WHUK

#5 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:29

61YSENZU2nL.jpg

If the sound is all right using headphones you could get a keyboard amplifier. a lot cheaper than a new piano.

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:34

An amplifier?  You are having a laugh.   An amplifier will only exaggerate a poorly sounding piano

#7 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:57

An amplifier?  You are having a laugh.   An amplifier will only exaggerate a poorly sounding piano

I said IF THE SOUND IS OK USING HEADPHONES.That means everything is working before the output amplifier.

#8 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 23 April 2019 - 19:19

Thanks but I cant be bothered.  I am not a piano engineer and would probably make the situation worse.   

I am going to see if it can be cheaply sold to a raw beginner who doesn't mind it not being top notch because they are just starting and when they improve they will get something better.  Its the same with any instrument.   The more you progress the better quality instrument you need

I agree with the last comment but if I were thinking of selling an instrument which might well be faulty (not just poor quality) I‘d jump at the chance to have a go at rectifying the mistake. The sites I gave links to mention a very simple trick which seems to correct some things in some keyboards and doesn‘t do any harm even if it doesn‘t do any good. Me, I‘d just be very curious to see if it worked for mine.
It takes all kinds to make the world. (Or something like that. I cannot remember the idiom)

#9 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 21:35

https://www.youtube....h?v=GbASp-uAqW8

This is what it sound like.

#10 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Member: 893086
  • SE London

Posted 23 April 2019 - 21:39

Thanks but I cant be bothered.  I am not a piano engineer and would probably make the situation worse.   

I agree with the last comment but if I were thinking of selling an instrument which might well be faulty (not just poor quality) I‘d jump at the chance to have a go at rectifying the mistake. The sites I gave links to mention a very simple trick which seems to correct some things in some keyboards and doesn‘t do any harm even if it doesn‘t do any good. Me, I‘d just be very curious to see if it worked for mine.
It takes all kinds to make the world. (Or something like that. I cannot remember the idiom)

I actually think adultpianist's idea of selling an instrument she believes to be faulty to a beginner is bordering on unethical. 

But like you say, takes all sorts...

#11 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 23 April 2019 - 21:49

I actually think adultpianist's idea of selling an instrument she believes to be faulty to a beginner is bordering on unethical. 

Its perfectly legal provided you tell them before you sell it.

#12 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • SE London

Posted 23 April 2019 - 21:53

Its perfectly legal provided you tell them before you sell it.

I didn't say it was illegal. I said it was unethical. Big difference. 

#13 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:47

Not unethical either if fully disclosed. I have bought faulty items which I knew I could fix. It's true those were mostly clothes, but if there was someone who wanted a beginner piano and they were good with electronics, they might still be happy to buy it. I have a friend who does things like this (but he already has a digital piano which he got under similar circumstances).

#14 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • SE London

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:52

Sure, if the fault is disclosed and fixable and the purchaser knows how to do that, that's a different thing altogether, but it's the deliberate targeting of beginners that I have an issue with.

If anyone needs an instrument to be in decent working order, it's a beginner. I've seen too many a beginner struggle along with an instrument in poor working order, making little progress as a result, and thinking it's them who's the problem because they don't have the experience to know any different or to be able to "play around" it.

#15 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2164 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:23

Yes, beginners need decent quality instruments not an out-of-tune digital, however cheap. Caveat emptor, obviously.