#91 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:08

I downloaded Bleak House onto my kindle in the wee small sleepless hours....

I really hope you like it. I think...

Perhaps not. Perhaps it's better that it bores you silly and you fall asleep. smile.png

#92 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 28 November 2018 - 13:36

I downloaded Bleak House onto my kindle in the wee small sleepless hours....

And I do hope you enjoy it too, Misterioso!

The other large Victorian novels I enjoyed were Vanity Fair and also Middlemarch.

#93 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 28 November 2018 - 13:45

and Adam Bede and Mill on the Floss. The ultimate in Victorian novels and sensationalism. I think I'd go to Hardy then though - Jude the Obscure. Definitely!!!! smile.png I envy anyone who hasn't read that one yet!

#94 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:22

and Adam Bede and Mill on the Floss. The ultimate in Victorian novels and sensationalism. I think I'd go to Hardy then though - Jude the Obscure. Definitely!!!! :) I envy anyone who hasn't read that one yet!

Too sad (and plausible)
I almost wanted to slap the female protagonist. Wouldn't read it again.

Currently enjoying vol 1 of The Book of Dust by P. Pullman. Hasy the cosy feeling of an inter-war detective thriller.

#95 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:21

and Adam Bede and Mill on the Floss. The ultimate in Victorian novels and sensationalism. I think I'd go to Hardy then though - Jude the Obscure. Definitely!!!! smile.png I envy anyone who hasn't read that one yet!

Too sad (and plausible)
I almost wanted to slap the female protagonist. Wouldn't read it again.

Currently enjoying vol 1 of The Book of Dust by P. Pullman. Hasy the cosy feeling of an inter-war detective thriller.

Ooh yes, the Book of Dust! When I first read this, I got to the end and started over again! Great book. Looking forward to Vol 2 and Vol 3.

#96 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 December 2018 - 16:58

John Grisham's Skipping Christmas. Quite humorous, and also quite heart-warming at the end.

#97 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 28 January 2019 - 13:21

Enlightenment Now: The case for reason, science, humanism and progress by Stephen Pinker

#98 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7416 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:10

How to Draw Almost Anything.

So it looks as if some of my reading time will now become trying to draw time. Meanwhile I am re-reading Mansfield Park for the umpteenth time.

#99 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:27

How to Draw Almost Anything.

So it looks as if some of my reading time will now become trying to draw time. Meanwhile I am re-reading Mansfield Park for the umpteenth time.

I have that book about drawing which I picked up in a charity shop - I'm absolutely terrible at drawing though and I've never had the courage to open the book...

Mansfield Park often gets a bad press which I think is undeserved - one of my top favourites. 

#100 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 February 2019 - 15:34

I have just finished the first of my Chriustmas books, a new biography of Schumann, by Judith Cherniak.  'Schumann:The faces and the masks'.  Very readable. I am now on my second new composer biography,  'Fryderyk Chopin' by Prof Alan WIlliams - very detailed and a much more scholarly work but still a good read.

#101 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 20 February 2019 - 23:17

The Workplace Advantage: The £20 billion key - why the office environment is key to productivity by The Crown Estate, Cushman & Wakefield, Joanna Lloyd-Davies and Polly Plunket-Checkemian

#102 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:50

Recently finished a charity shop find - Learning To Swim - by Clare Chambers, an author I'd forgotten about, though I really enjoyed at least one other of hers years ago - I think it was called Back Trouble.

Downloaded another of hers - In A Good Light - the other day, and I'm thoroughly enjoying that, too. So much so that I'm going to find a 2nd hand copy online and send to my sister in the US, since we nearly always enjoy the same reading matter.

#103 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:59

I'm reading an Italian translation of Robert Harris's Pompeii. 

This is partly because my Italian needs improving, and partly because I thought reading about ancient Italy in Italian might feel more authentic, albeit just for amusement's sake and realising it's a nonsensical idea. (pace all those who'd point out that the book's an adaptation of Chinatown and is about the USA, lol!)

Recently I attempted Wolff's Bach, but gave up in boredom: sometimes I read a lot and sometimes I think I have ADD. (I'm definitely never hyperactive, lol!)

#104 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 05 March 2019 - 14:12

How Not To Be A Boy by Robert Webb

#105 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 March 2019 - 15:49

Book club tonight -to discuss Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh.
One member has messaged to say he won't be coming as he found the book 'puerile and elitist'.
Personally I thought it painted the Upper Classes in a rather unflattering light but it made me laugh out loud, despite the undeniable racism it depicted. (The laughs were definitely at the expense of the racists rather than the object of their attentions)
Does that make me puerile too? Don't answer because I'm not likely to change now....