Photo

Weirdest registrations and stops (a place to celebrate variety)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:08

Few instruments can rival the organ's variety. Every organist must have come across some pretty strange noises in their time. But this one, for me, takes the biscuit. It gobbles more-or-less the entire bakery (and burps at 1:32). It's a most peculiar sound. I don't know quite what it is. It claims to be Balbustre played on the Gabler organ of Weingarten Abbey. The weird bit starts around 1:26 - before that, things are relatively calm French Baroque. At 2:10, you really have to start wearing headphones to appreciate stereophonic bagpipes. Several comments suggest it might be a different organ altogether, and the bloke who's uploaded it has replied in fairly nonsensical German, and slightly more reasonable French (but still very enigmatic) so I'm thoroughly confused.

Nevertheless, this is an experience unlikely to be forgotten.

Anyone else got any curios?

#2 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 23:15

... I appreciate that the last post may be quite harmful. This is a delightful antidote. Beautiful French reeds but respectable, and celebrating in a way that one hopes must have made God happy to have made Humans.

#3 Stephen Barber

Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Member: 69976

Posted 08 January 2019 - 18:17

I like the first one!

I have a recording of Piet Kee at Weingarten; he plays Lebegue's Les Cloches with much use of bells and Variations on 'Laf├čt uns das Kindlein weigen' by Murschauser which uses the cuckoo stop. The other pieces are straighter, but the sounds on the whole disc are, to my ears, wonderful. (https://www.chandos....logue/CHAN 0520)

#4 twanguitar

twanguitar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 219776

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:56

I also have the disc by Piet Kee and it is indeed wonderful.  Other compelling ones include the series of Krebs's Organ Works played by Gerhard Gnann.  Volume 1 is NAXOS 8.553924.  Fantastic value for money as well.  If it's of any interest there's a fascinating article about the Vox Humana stop at Weingarten at:

http://www.pykett.or...-vox-humana.htm

A bit technical though, but it also points you to some useful youtube links whence you can hear it played expertly.  It also wanders into Wurlitzer's Vox's as well!

#5 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:12

I read another story about the Weingarten organ, that at one point after the completion of the organ, when Gabler felt he hadn't been paid properly by the monks, he got hold of the key by some dubious story, crept into the organ and manipulated a "secret handle" which left the organ making weak and whimpery noises. Following this, the monks and abbot were at such a loss they were forced to call him in to carry out the "repairs", which he agreed to do, only if paid properly. He then returned the secret handle to its proper position, and all was well.

It's said that a later restorer indeed found a handle operating a wind-restricting valve, in a hard-to-reach part of the instrument, but sadly removed it. It's also rumoured that a more recent restorer, in honour of the story, put such a handle back in, but the whereabouts of the handle are, of course, unknown...