#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:19

For the first time in all the years I have been having piano lessons, my teacher wants me to start doing Hanon exercises.    I had some other exercises a few years ago but was told they are too basic for me now and the Hanon ones are what I should do.   I start right hand only and then left hand and then both hands and gradually do them faster.    

I presume others here have done them so how did you find them and did it help when you come to do pieces that require runs up and down the keyboard?

#2 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6041 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 18 May 2019 - 14:22

They are very boring. However, I find them helpful for focusing on particular finger patterns. I practise them in different keys. I find them useful in conjunction with other exercises, scales and arpeggios. They're the piano equivalent of sit ups to me- help focus on certain movements, but other things must also be done to gain and maintain fitness.

#3 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 18 May 2019 - 18:48

what is boring about them?   I find them interesting

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 18 May 2019 - 21:02

I find them very useful for quickly improving dexterity and strengthening weak fingers. Like corenfa I do them in different keys; they are harder once you add black notes but it's better to master the original white note version first.  I don't find them boring at all. I'd much rather work on them than some of the rubbishy studies that are around.laugh.png

#5 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6041 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:25

what is boring about them?   I find them interesting

They are the same pattern repeated over and over again. I have no problem with other people finding them interesting, but I do not. They are however useful and that is orthogonal to the fact that they are boring. Anyway, I read books while practising them, so I get the best of both worlds. 

#6 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7569 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:07

I find them useful for exam candidates who have a fast piece to play which is going a bit stale in the final run up to an exam. It gives them dexterity practice without over practicing the pieces and scales being prepared for the Grade. I usually find this useful around Grade 4 but I have used the first exercise usefully with a Grade 1 player - who thought it was a great game!