DaisyChain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Member: 380975
  • Kent

Posted 04 October 2013 - 16:44

I understand the need for the flood control, but am flummoxed by it too, especially when it comes to reading other members' profiles. Sometimes I can click on 'read member's posts' with no trouble at all. Other times, I get the constant flood control message. Why is that?

#32 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 04 October 2013 - 18:06

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Oct 4 2013, 01:16 PM) View Post
... though we have to be cautious for obvious reasons ...
I don't actually know what the obvious reasons are. It seems to happen at any time of day, and regardless of how many other people appear to be online at the time.

#33 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3580 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 04 October 2013 - 18:17

QUOTE(JudithJ @ Oct 4 2013, 07:06 PM) View Post

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Oct 4 2013, 01:16 PM) View Post
... though we have to be cautious for obvious reasons ...
I don't actually know what the obvious reasons are. It seems to happen at any time of day, and regardless of how many other people appear to be online at the time.

I assume the obvious reasons are the spam bots we get from time to time. In any case I don't think waiting 30 seconds is too much of a hardship.

I have on occasion thought I wish I didn't have to wait to post my comment but not enough to warrant removal of the flood control.

#34 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13996 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:41

QUOTE(corenfa @ Oct 4 2013, 04:43 PM) View Post

I find it problematic. I navigate round the threads quite quickly and often find a few I want to reply to but find myself staring at the screen for 30 seconds between replies. Even setting it to 10 seconds would be more palatable. I know that 30 seconds isn't a great deal of time in the grand scheme of things, but if we are talking purely from a user experience point of view and not philosophy ("don't be so impatient"), it's really not great.

agree.gif

#35 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5818 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:34

QUOTE(DaisyChain @ Oct 4 2013, 05:44 PM) View Post

I understand the need for the flood control, but am flummoxed by it too, especially when it comes to reading other members' profiles. Sometimes I can click on 'read member's posts' with no trouble at all. Other times, I get the constant flood control message. Why is that?

One situation I've seen this in is when I accidentally click twice on the same link. The first click sends a message to the forum server requesting posts; the second click also does the same, and because those are too close together, the server triggers the search flood message. It's slightly different from the post flood message which happens when one tries to submit a post too soon after the last one.

I can live with the search flood message, but the post flood message really is annoying for me. I type fast, so I can often finish typing a post in much less than 30 seconds. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother other people so much...

#36 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:14

Unless it's been fixed very recently, it is a bug if you use Chrome as your browser that you can't read members' posts at all - the flood control message automatically comes up, even if you are careful not to double click.

#37 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3131 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:03

QUOTE(EdGJ @ Oct 3 2013, 06:26 PM) View Post

QUOTE(JME @ Oct 3 2013, 03:36 PM) View Post

Dear EdJG,
Not directly relevant to the upgrade, but on an indirectly related topic: any chance of restarting the 'Ask the Chief Examiner' section, which seems to have fallen into disuse? If the chief examiner no longer has time then we understand, in which case the section may as well be discontinued. (although it may still be useful to have access to the archived responses). Thank you.

Yes, we're looking at this too as I'm conscious it's not been updated in quite some time!

This would be good. I met the chief examiner yesterday, and thought he was a good guy! As well as being a mean clarinet player, he was very approachable and supportive, and seemed to welcome feedback and actively want to change things for the better.

#38 Guest: Very Sane Tom_*

Guest: Very Sane Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 06 October 2013 - 14:55

QUOTE(katyjay @ Oct 5 2013, 09:14 AM) View Post

Unless it's been fixed very recently, it is a bug if you use Chrome as your browser that you can't read members' posts at all - the flood control message automatically comes up, even if you are careful not to double click.

How odd. I have that problem in Safari on the Mac, but in Chrome it works just fine.

#39 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5818 posts
  • Here

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:59

I can't get some things to work on Chrome on Linux (it keeps not remembering me and making me log in repeatedly, and then I still get permissions errors on things like viewing my own profile) but I am not really expecting you to fix it to work with my weird operating system :) It works in Firefox.

#40 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 334 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:23

I can't get some things to work on Chrome on Linux (it keeps not remembering me and making me log in repeatedly, and then I still get permissions errors on things like viewing my own profile) but I am not really expecting you to fix it to work with my weird operating system :) It works in Firefox.

Thanks corenfa - we'll have a look at this!

#41 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 334 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:37

Time to run a few tests!

Italicisation, underlining and emboldening test

New emoticons test:

:happyviolin: :goldstar: :crying: :trombone: :sun: :trumpet: :faint: :headdesk:

Accented text test:

ä, é, ó, Zoltán Kodály

Pound sign test:

££££££££££

Bob test:

:bob:

Alternative font/font size test

#42 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10648 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:43

I should have remembered to ask for this earlier, but do we have a :flute: emoticon available that has the instrument held the correct way round?

#43 ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Member: 113829

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:45

Using my mobile at the moment. It all looks great. However it's hard to see when a quote has ended and the response has started (Chrome on an Android mobile)

#44 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5818 posts
  • Here

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:47

Time to run a few tests!

Italicisation, underlining and emboldening test

New emoticons test:

:happyviolin: :goldstar: :crying: :trombone: :sun: :trumpet: :faint: :headdesk:

Accented text test:

ä, é, ó, Zoltán Kodály

Pound sign test:

££££££££££

quoted pound sign test (sometimes this breaks on other forums)

#45 ExpressYourself

ExpressYourself

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Member: 113829

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:47

It's ok in full version, just not mobile version