DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 20 August 2017 - 16:45

I can't find a thread as yet for this years' season, so apologies if there's one somewhere! 

Just caught up with the Eroica Prom from Friday evening. I thought  the way the symphony was broken down into component themes and the explanations given as to why the symphony was written etc. were very informative.

The playing of the symphony was wonderful too- and all without music! Really enjoyed it. 

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 20 August 2017 - 17:09

An extraordinary feat because, even in Beethoven, some of those inner parts are not especially memorable!

#3 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4258 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 August 2017 - 19:16

Probably I am just becoming jaded but there have been precious few concerts this year that have captured my interest.
Too many themes, not enough interesting (interesting to me at any rate) music.

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16604 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 August 2017 - 19:32

I regard the Eroica as his masterpiece - great performance too.

#5 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1736 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 26 August 2017 - 18:12

What were they doing with the New World Symphony earlier this week? Surely the music's more than sufficient without turning it into some trite play about Antonin's Adventures in America?

#6 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7732 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51

What were they doing with the New World Symphony earlier this week? Surely the music's more than sufficient without turning it into some trite play about Antonin's Adventures in America?

Oh, no, I can't agree, I enjoyed the first half. It wasn't supposed to be a guide to the music - though many people through the years have assumed it was just Dvorak's tribute to American culture. I didn't take it as being a bit of enlightenment to enjoy the music itself - though would you also have said that since the Sorcerer's Apprentice is such a good piece it shouldn't be necessary to tell the story? I thought the first half was interesting in its own right, but if it had been broadcast, say, just as a play, wouldn't you then have felt a little cheated not to have then heard the piece that was being hinted at throughout the play?

I don't know what the wider audience reaction has been - it's the way the proms is going nowadays, breaking away from just 50+ variations on overture-concert-symphony. Some of them I wouldn't have wanted to go to, but at the same time, they are bringing in audiences who would not have been interested in the original formula for the season, but who may well stay. 

#7 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 02 September 2017 - 17:33

Probably I am just becoming jaded but there have been precious few concerts this year that have captured my interest.
Too many themes, not enough interesting (interesting to me at any rate) music.

Agreed. They seem to get less adventurous by the year. Maybe I'm going blind but are any female British composers represented? 

#8 MusicMatters!

MusicMatters!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Member: 897542
  • United States

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:08

I watched the last night..well..last nightlaugh.png  Nina Stemme was wonderful and it was lovely to hear the conductors speech at the end mentioning the growing number of female conductors!! I love that there as lots of different genres of music...if something doesn't grow and develop...remain relevant, it dies!!

Wonderful to see folk, jazz, musical theatre, pop singers working with orchestras...I like to think of them as gateways into the heavy stuff biggrin.png  

We must appeal to everyone...I'm sure Mozart won't mind.

Who knows, someone listening to Tom Jones at the proms, might take a liking to the sound of a certain instrument behind him? Open the doors wide and invite them "non-classical" ears in to join the partywub.png

#9 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:58

I am with MusicMatters! on getting people to listen to music they might otherwise not have considered, but please don't dismiss jazz, pop, music theatre, etc as just "gateways" into classical music.  They are perfectly valid ways of making and appreciating music in their own right.  I could argue that having the non-classical performers at the proms might make the classical buffs appreciate other genres more!!wink.png 

#10 MusicMatters!

MusicMatters!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Member: 897542
  • United States

Posted 10 September 2017 - 14:04

I am with MusicMatters! on getting people to listen to music they might otherwise not have considered, but please don't dismiss jazz, pop, music theatre, etc as just "gateways" into classical music.  They are perfectly valid ways of making and appreciating music in their own right.  I could argue that having the non-classical performers at the proms might make the classical buffs appreciate other genres more!!wink.png

niceThread.gif agree.gif party2.gif

#11 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 11 September 2017 - 18:20

...except that 'popular' (I use the term loosely) hardly requires a special event/festival to promote/support it.

As someone who does not live in or near London, I find the Proms frustrating. An opportunity to attend loads of concerts, wide range of repertoire, visiting orchestras and soloists... and completely unrealistic for someone like me to attend without spending a great deal of money. The last train from Euston that I can get is 21.10 and that gets me home with one change at midnight, or 22.00 if I settle for having to drive home from Crewe. Given how South Kensington station is a fair walk from the RAH all-in-all that's not a viable option, so you have to factor in an overnight stay, which in London is a very expensive option, unless you have conveniently located friends, and I don't.

I have only ever been to two Proms: one I was performing in and the other I was in London overnight for work.

Maybe it will become more viable when I'm retired and don't have to take holiday as well.