#16 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:29

Most things are manageable if you miss out some of the notes! I always play what I want and just go for it - even if you perform it, nobody ever notices! 

#17 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:33

I'm glad about that, zwhe! I don't want to miss out on things I want to play just because I don't have big hands!! Being creative with fingerings and pedals - that has to be the way forward!

#18 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19783 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:17

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have quite a few of the items mentioned (Scarlatti, Brahms and Bartok Mikrokosmos) so will dig them out and have a play.

The Poulenc Nocturnes sound lovely, maggiemay. I'd appreciate it if you would give them the once-over for stretchiness, as I don't want to waste money (especially the amount you have to pay for French music!) if I find I can't play them.

.....,etc. ?

Thanks Corenfa (sorry, have only just seen your post). In fact I came back to say I have just had a slightlly more circumspect look through three of the nocturnes, and yes, there are quite a lot of large-ish chords. Maybe not ideal for you, on second thoughts, although you can get by with spreading many of them, as I do. Agree about the cost - my copy was nealy £20, and I’ve had it a while.

#19 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 11 December 2018 - 13:44

I was trying to work out how I don't remember how expensive the Poulenc was, but now I've remembered the provenance of mine- it was given to me by forum member oldnotes who was distributing a rather large amount of music from a deceased friend. So I never paid for it. Thank you again oldnotes!

#20 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17314 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 December 2018 - 13:51

Most French published music seems overly expensive !

#21 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 11 December 2018 - 14:05

I've just come back from my lesson and my teacher has kindly lent me his copies of Visions Fugitifs and Debussy Preludes so that I can assess them for playability. He thought that the Poulenc was probably too stretchy as well, so I've shelved that idea for now.

We have agreed that I will start work on a Mozart Sonata, probably K. 311 as my big project, and will learn a few easier, shorter Romantic pieces alongside it. He has also suggested I look at some of the Shostakovich op.34 Preludes and/or the Bartok Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm. We've also discussed more Bach (either another P&F or some movements from one of the French Suites) and possibly a look at some of the Beethoven op. 126 Bagatelles.

Thanks for all your suggestions; I now have a very long 'short' list. :D

#22 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6013 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:58

I wonder if you would like the Mozart K332 and K333 sonatas. I think K332 was nicely manageable for Grade 8 years back when I did it though it took a long time to learn the entire sonata. K333, I think, is harder than K332 though both are on the ATCL list. K333, the B flat major sonata, is fun to play if you can pull off the flamboyant bits. 

#23 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:45

Funnily enough we discussed both of those yesterday, corenfa. The Bb major K 333 is definitely in the running, and I played through some of it yesterday evening. I couldn't start looking at K 311 as I found I only have vol. 2 of the Mozart sonatas (ABRSM edition), and so vol 1 has been ordered as part of my Christmas present from my OH. smile.png

I know the first movement of K 332 quite well, as it was on the Grade 8 syllabus when I first started working towards it before abandoning piano so that I could concentrate on my flute LRSM. I was intending to work on the whole sonata but I'm not all that keen on the other movements. So it won't be my first choice this time unless I come a cropper with the other two! I'm going to look at both K 311 and K 333 and make a choice when I've had a bit of a play with them. smile.png

#24 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17314 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:46

You may not believe this but when I did LCM Grade 4 in about 1959, I played 1st mvmt of K332 for Grade 4 !!  Sound ridiculous I know, but as I also remember which sonata movements I played for Grade 5 (Beethoven Op 79 3rd mvmt) and 6 (Beethoven Op10 no 3 Minuet and trio). I am sure I am not mistaken.. I never did Gr 7 and 8 and went straight to ALCM in 1963

#25 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:58

I've realised something very interesting. I was drawn to K 311 more than the other possible sonatas because it reminded me very much of the flute concertos, especially the D major flute concerto which I played for my LRSM. I've just realised that the flute concertos are K 313 and K 314, so the similarity is not a coincidence - they were all composed at the end of 1777. :)

#26 annet

annet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Member: 7741

Posted 20 December 2018 - 14:42

The ARSM syllabus has a wide variety of pieces which may be suitable - the composers range from Bach to Copeland.  The third movement of the Moonlight Sonata, for example, is quite a challenge (if you want that sort of challenge!)  but I'm not sure if it could be played with small hands.(I only have experience of a 17 year old boy with hands like no 9 shovels!).  Even if you're not thinking of the ARSM, it may give you some ideas.

#27 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17314 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 16:35

Funnily enough we discussed both of those yesterday, corenfa. The Bb major K 333 is definitely in the running, and I played through some of it yesterday evening. I couldn't start looking at K 311 as I found I only have vol. 2 of the Mozart sonatas (ABRSM edition), and so vol 1 has been ordered as part of my Christmas present from my OH. smile.png

I know the first movement of K 332 quite well, as it was on the Grade 8 syllabus when I first started working towards it before abandoning piano so that I could concentrate on my flute LRSM. I was intending to work on the whole sonata but I'm not all that keen on the other movements. So it won't be my first choice this time unless I come a cropper with the other two! I'm going to look at both K 311 and K 333 and make a choice when I've had a bit of a play with them. smile.png

K330 in C is fine too, one that Barenboim plays a lot.

#28 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:38

...  The third movement of the Moonlight Sonata, for example, is quite a challenge (if you want that sort of challenge!)  but I'm not sure if it could be played with small hands...

Well, it will just have to be because one day, some years away from now, I have every intention of trying that movement. So there, Beethoven!! smile.png

#29 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17314 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:13

...  The third movement of the Moonlight Sonata, for example, is quite a challenge (if you want that sort of challenge!)  but I'm not sure if it could be played with small hands...

Well, it will just have to be because one day, some years away from now, I have every intention of trying that movement. So there, Beethoven!! smile.png

There are some jumping consecutive octaves !  But much of it is arpeggios and scale work. A few tricky chord groups also.

#30 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 31 December 2018 - 14:33

As I have now pretty much decided what to work on I though I would update you and ask a further question. :)

I'm working on Mozart K.333 (sonata in Bb major), Mendelssohn Songs without Words and Peter Sculthorpe Night Pieces. I may add something baroque in a while.

At the moment I'm looking at Mendelssohn op. 19 no. 4 and (possibly) no. 6. Which other Songs without Words do people like/recommend? I'll be using them to work on voicing and pedalling.