#1 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:48

This forum has been quiet for a while. Is anyone else taking a diploma in the next few weeks?

#2 Fazioligirl

Fazioligirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 893432
  • Kent

Posted 27 November 2018 - 13:03

I’m doing my ATCL performance diploma in twelve days (gulp!) time.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17306 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 27 November 2018 - 15:10

I’m doing my ATCL performance diploma in twelve days (gulp!) time.

Good luck. My ALCM was in 1963 !!

#4 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 15:40

Piano LRSM for me in two weeks.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17306 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 November 2018 - 16:02

Piano LRSM for me in two weeks.

I nearly decided to have a go at that when I retired 6 yrs ago, but at age 65, now 71 (My ALCM Dip was 1963),and  not being. a teacher, I then realised Id have to do Dip A first as a prerequisite. I did learn Bach Book 2 No 14, and wasn't far off with Chopin Ballade 2. Was working on Beethoven Op 31 No 2 also.  What are you playing  Clovis ?

#6 twinklefingers

twinklefingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Member: 45904

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:09

Hi all

I am taking the Piano DipABRSM in a couple of weeks - eek!

I'm playing Mozart Sonata in Bb K 570, Chopin Berceuse in Db Major, Rachmaninov Prelude in G, Op 32 No.5, and Joseph Makholm's No's 1 and 2 of Trois Impressions.

I have managed to memorise all but the Makholm and will play this one from the music...I hope that wont have a negative affect on my mark!

What is everyone playing and how are you preparing for the viva voce?

#7 cmw

cmw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 897672
  • Bromley Kent

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:19

I'm looking at DipABRSM  Clarinet next year. Just sat my grade 8 as I haven't any evidnece of my previous exam.

#8 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 02 December 2018 - 08:48

I'm looking at DipABRSM  Clarinet next year. Just sat my grade 8 as I haven't any evidnece of my previous exam.

Oooh good, well done you cmw, we clatinettists will be following your progress. What are you planning to play?

#9 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:17

Hi all

I am taking the Piano DipABRSM in a couple of weeks - eek!

I'm playing Mozart Sonata in Bb K 570, Chopin Berceuse in Db Major, Rachmaninov Prelude in G, Op 32 No.5, and Joseph Makholm's No's 1 and 2 of Trois Impressions.

I have managed to memorise all but the Makholm and will play this one from the music...I hope that wont have a negative affect on my mark!

What is everyone playing and how are you preparing for the viva voce?

I played everything from the scores in my dipABRSM and it wasn't a problem.

For the viva, I would make sure you know the structure of your pieces really well, and think about how Mozart's keyboard differs from your modern piano and what adjustments you might need to make (I played that sonata too).

#10 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:29

There is no requirement to memorise even up to FRSM level. A FRSM graduate taught by my teacher failed the Recital first time round because she had complete memory lapse and could not recover. 2nd attempt was not memorised and she brought along a page turned, she passed. That being said, a fully memorised performance does help the overall impression, but you will have to decide if the additional practice hours needed to fully commit to memory is something you can afford.

#11 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:40

I am not sure if performing without a score helps with the overall impression at all. I took all three levels of diploma in Canada, with only one live examiner. On all three occasions the examiner present didn’t note that I performed from memory, so the examiner listening to the tape wouldn’t have known. If it would have affected the mark, I was surely short-changed.

#12 Dreamaurora

Dreamaurora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Member: 316
  • Singapore

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:36

I opted to perform my LRSM from memory and it was a subject discussed during the viva. I was asked to explain my decision to memorise the program and the benefits of memorising.

I’ve spoken before with an examiner regarding this and certainly good playing is rewarded the same irregardless of the performance being memorized or not. But a memorized performance has somewhat a higher tolerance of error because small slips can just be attributed to the memory playing pranks under pressure, but if the performance is not memorized an almost error free performance is expected.

There are still a lot of pianists who are quite snobbish about memorizing. I actually shared this anecdote during my viva. At a recital given by Thibaudet last year in my city, he opted to play from score. Despite the excellent playing, quite a few pianists in the audience snarled at the decision and they actually had not so favorable comments about the playing.

#13 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:59

Memorising also depends on the repertoire. It's certainly not expected to perform contemporary music from memory (and written-out jazz is also hard to remember). There is no way I'm going to play Webern's Variations without the score next week.

#14 twinklefingers

twinklefingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Member: 45904

Posted 07 December 2018 - 17:52

Memorising also depends on the repertoire. It's certainly not expected to perform contemporary music from memory (and written-out jazz is also hard to remember). There is no way I'm going to play Webern's Variations without the score next week.

Exactly, and this is exactly why I am not memorising the Makholm...there's no chance of commiting it to memory!

The thought of trying to page turn or have a page turner in there with me gives me more anxiety than just playing from memory so I have gone with that for the others...fingers crossed!  It's just the Mozart that wont stick at the moment - it's also not consistent with which part I have a blank on which is frustrating!

Do you know if they focus on one piece in the viva voce or whether they do try to ask you something about every piece?  I am struggling with prep for the Makholm as there is so little on him available.  

What else are you playing Clovis?  Are you feeling excited/nervous for next week?

#15 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:05

I have had six ABRSM exams with viva voce, and never once was I asked questions on one piece only, so you can pretty much be sure that you will be asked questions on a variety of subjects.

The only time my performing from memory impressed the examiner was on my Grade 8 oboe. The examiner commented “you are playing your study from memory too?”. I had already performed part of the Hindemith Sonata from memory just before.

Exactly, and this is exactly why I am not memorising the Makholm...there's no chance of commiting it to memory!

The thought of trying to page turn or have a page turner in there with me gives me more anxiety than just playing from memory so I have gone with that for the others...fingers crossed! It's just the Mozart that wont stick at the moment - it's also not consistent with which part I have a blank on which is frustrating!

Do you know if they focus on one piece in the viva voce or whether they do try to ask you something about every piece? I am struggling with prep for the Makholm as there is so little on him available.

What else are you playing Clovis? Are you feeling excited/nervous for next week?