Recorder Thread!

• Please log in to reply
3475 replies to this topic

#46 Guest: Malone_*

Guest: Malone_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 17 July 2007 - 21:11

I'm going to London in October for my 21st, I'm quite excited, want to go to all these music shops that people talk about on here. My mum will be with me of course, she is a piano playing lawyer so not terribly enthusiastic about music shops unfortunately and I'd probably get lost on my own. ph34r.gif

Back on topic...
I have a three piece Moeck Rottenburgh Maple descant, a three piece Moeck Rottenburgh Boxwood descant and a Moeck Rottenburgh Pearwood treble which I got half price after some idiot took it back to the shop complaining that it wasn't tuned correctly when infact it was perfect - you just need to warm it up!!
And as ever, a collection of plastic sopranino, descants, trebles and tenor. Did have a bass but it was terrible cheap thing so gave it a better home.

#47 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8057 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:11

QUOTE(kerioboe @ Jul 17 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 17 2007, 10:33 PM) View Post

smile.gif I think that street in London is a dangerous one, what with the EMS and Howarths there.... And a secondhand music shop 5 minutes away from Marleybone, yes I think London is dangerous!

What's the name and address of the second-hand music shop Rosemary? I didn't know there was one the last time I went to Howarth's and I'm going to be taking my oboe to be serviced over the summer ...

Its not too far from the station - 83 Bell Street. Its called 'Archive Bookstore', they are primarily a secondhand bookshop. The basement is stuffed with music though biggrin.gif biggrin.gif And a rickety old piano so you can try it out if you want.

#48 flutecake

flutecake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 10258
  • Munich

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:16

[quote name='salrec' date='Jul 17 2007, 07:43 PM' post='554246']
Mr Flutecake has just bought a harpsicord on ebay ohmy.gif does that give me an excuse to buy a nice recorder to play with it?
[/quote]

I'd say it was essential that you buy at least one,and possibly more smile.gif
[/quote]

Thank you. The harpsicord is not a figment of my imagination, we are picking it up on Saturday. I am now looking for a nice treble, although I can use my plastic aulos for the time being.

#49 CJB

CJB

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts
  • Member: 4076

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:22

I'm sure you won't regret the Kung Studio treble - I had a harder time selecting what wood to get it in than between makes smile.gif

#50 magicflute

magicflute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Member: 9114
  • Cornwall

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:40

I know this is a really stupid question but what key is the descant recorder in?

#51 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8057 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:00

All recorders are pitched in C. smile.gif

#52 Good Intentions

Good Intentions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Member: 10745
  • ISLE OF WIGHT

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:09

mmmm i beg to differ on that

Garklien, Descants and Tenors Great Bass, Sub Contrabass in C
Sopranino,Trebles, Bass, Contra Bass, Sub Sub ContraBass in F

Correct me if I am wrong - i usually am

#53 jacobvaneyck

jacobvaneyck

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3595 posts
  • Member: 2998

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:16

QUOTE(Good Intentions @ Jul 18 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post

mmmm i beg to differ on that

Garklien, Descants and Tenors Great Bass, Sub Contrabass in C
Sopranino,Trebles, Bass, Contra Bass, Sub Sub ContraBass in F

Correct me if I am wrong - i usually am

No, you're right. smile.gif And by pitched in F we mean all fingers down gives F. In C means all fingers gives C (on descant it's one line below stave but sounding up an octave.

#54 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8057 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:34

Ah - I meant that if I play an A on a recorder it'll sound like an A, though I will have to use a different fingering depending on what recorder I'm playing!

#55 Good Intentions

Good Intentions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Member: 10745
  • ISLE OF WIGHT

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:44

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 18 2007, 02:34 PM) View Post

Ah - I meant that if I play an A on a recorder it'll sound like an A, though I will have to use a different fingering depending on what recorder I'm playing!

huh? blink.gif

#56 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10745 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 18 July 2007 - 13:48

QUOTE(Good Intentions @ Jul 18 2007, 02:44 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Rosemary7391 @ Jul 18 2007, 02:34 PM) View Post

huh? blink.gif

An A played on any recorder will sound as an A - recorders are not transposing instruments, except at the octave.

But A is fingered 012 on C instruments, and 012345 on F instruments.

#57 Teigr

Teigr

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • Member: 12327

Posted 18 July 2007 - 23:38

QUOTE(andante_in_c @ Jul 18 2007, 02:48 PM) View Post

An A played on any recorder will sound as an A - recorders are not transposing instruments, except at the octave.

But A is fingered 012 on C instruments, and 012345 on F instruments.

Recorders are not /supposed/ to be transposing instruments. ;-)
My F fingering is rather less secure than it should be, so I sometimes fall into treating F recorders as transposing instruments - usually at sight, but I have been known to, horror of horrors, write out my part in a different key so I can play treble using descant fingering. Bad tiger!

I'm all too aware that the only way to improve my treble fingering is to stop doing this and it /will/ happen at some point.

I never learned treble fingering properly because I learned descant first, then clarinet, then got a treble - so I used to use the lower and upper register fingerings of clarinet as a sort of mental translation guide for recorders. "It says C, which on clarinet fingers the same as G in the upper register, so I'll play descant G and it should sound like a C". (When I say "used to", erm..... well..... *ducks*)

T.

p.s. The same concept has let me sight-transpose alto sax parts for the soprano, so it does have an upside!

#58 Alder

Alder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Member: 11952

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:21

Wow!
Pearwood, rosewood, cherrywood....it all sounds so pretty!

I hate to bring down the tone, but I'm a newbie as far as recorder is concerned. Haven't played in years and years, but reading things on the forum made me think about it again. Hadn't even realised there were recorder exams! So I rummaged through the cupboard and found my two recorders. One is the standard brown and cream school recorder, but the other was always a bit strange (though I preferred it. I just liked being different...). Looking at it last night I found this stamped on the back:
Dolmetsch Dolonite Descant Recorder.
Is that the make? Does anyone know why it's so heavy in comparison to the ordinary one? Is it OK or rubbish? If I was going to take this up again as a beginner, which one should I use? Etc...

Any help gratefully received... smile.gif

#59 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:54

Dolmetsch is the maker's name. They were the first company to produce recorders on a large scale for use in schools. Dolonite is the name of the material used and it is quite heavy stuff. These are actually getting collectable now. They weren't very good to play but were better than some of the cheap wooden recorders that used to be made at the same time. Your brown and cream recorder is probably a Dolmetsch too. These are really quite nice to play and I would use that but keep the dolonite one as a curio. It might be a good idea to give it a bath too. Take the sections apart and place them in some warm water and work around all of the parts with a long feather if you can find one. Don't use the quill end on any of the sound producing places around the window and wind way, just the soft end and gently. Then leave the sections to dry on a towel. When it is dry put a little Vaseline onto the joints before assembling it again. Some folk advise against joint grease but I always use it. It stops the sections wearing and working loose. Good luck with your playing, It is a super instrument to play and there are several recorder players on these forums who will offer you advice. smile.gif

#60 Alder

Alder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Member: 11952

Posted 20 July 2007 - 15:46

QUOTE(petrat @ Jul 20 2007, 01:54 PM) View Post

Your brown and cream recorder is probably a Dolmetsch too.

Hmmm, not so much... I went back and had a closer look, and stamped on the bottom is 'Made in Japan'.

laugh.gif

Oh well.