dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 14 July 2018 - 15:49

I'm having a problem with placing first inversion chords with four notes, particularly in the LH. (RH is a bit more flexible, though it's still not easy.)
(For example in C, left hand EGCE, place 4321)

The obvious difficulty is that wide gap between fingers four and three. Three ends up scrabbling around in between somewhere before getting to the right place.

I've tried; just practising placing 4&3, 2&3, 3&2 as separate pairs; slowly rolling into all four; varying arm position; using flatter hand .... My teacher is a bit perplexed too as she says I'm not doing anything basically incorrectly and is optimistic that it will come with time, bless her!

I can't really see how this will resolve, I think anatomically that gap/stretch betweeen 3 and 2 is really difficult. And this particular chord formation is everywhere it seems ... Any tips out there?

#2 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2018 - 17:23

Your teacher is right, the ability to stretch will come with time.... and practice. I use the classic method Metodo per Arpa van Maria Grossi. Every week I get one, yes, just one exercise from my harp teacher. Every time when I start practising, I begin with Grossi. This has really helped me to improve my technique. And now I can stretch much further than I had thought to be possible with my very small hand and fingers.

#3 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • Germany

Posted 16 July 2018 - 21:30

Thank you, I'll plod on optimistically!

#4 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1342 posts
  • Germany

Posted 19 August 2018 - 20:44

You inspired me to start on the Grossi exercises systematically! I've had the booked tucked away for a while, having bought it more to do the studies at the back. Have been dodging about in Friou and other exercises that my teacher has recommended for various problems. But I really like the Grossi, very simple and progressive and great for warming up. There's something very unthreatening about them! (It's nice to be saying that something feels simple!)