Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 10 June 2017 - 16:44

So who is doing exams this summer session?

I am doing G7 Musical Theatre (9th July) and G2 Piano (13th July) this time.  I was supposed to take the Musical Theatre exam last summer but had to cancel because of illness.  Other things (life!) got in the way in November and March so I am finally doing it this term.

I am looking forward to working on some different repertoire!

#2 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 10 June 2017 - 17:20

Nooooo

Working toward G5 piano and G6 theory, will prob sit both in the Autumn term, it feels nice to have a bit longer to prepare this time round.

Good luck to you Sylvette and everyone else taking exams this summer - exciting times :piano:

( BTW just wondering if you are carrying on with theory or stopping at G5 ? )

#3 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 10 June 2017 - 20:49

Hi Tezes, I'm carrying on with theory, but not in any rush, probably going to do G6 next year.  It feels like a huge gulf between 5 and 6!

I'm also thinking hard about where to go with piano next - I may do G1 jazz piano and/or practical musicianship.  I get the impression that the latter would help with some things I struggle with in my singing.

I will probably come back to classical piano exams later, maybe at G5.

#4 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 10 June 2017 - 21:45

I agree there is a huge difference with theory at G6, TBH it feels like starting again. I'm currently working through the G6 workbook but definitely not engaging with it as much as I did Grades 1-5.

Good luck with whichever route you decide on, it really keeps you on your toes that's for sure !!!

#5 LearnerFlute

LearnerFlute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Member: 127255

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:49

I am booked in for my Grade 8 flute in July. Also my younger daughter has her first saxophone exam next week so there are two of us in the family that are taking exams!

#6 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:53

Theory on Saturday .... I'm currently at the  'why oh why do I put myself through this?'  stage  :crying:

Good luck folks!

#7 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 11 June 2017 - 18:53

I've got grade 4 piano on the 21st of this month. I sat grade 3 on March 22nd and I've been anxious to say the least as it's taken ages to feel ok about the pieces. I still don't feel ready the same way I did for 1, 2 and 3. Normally I have the pieces memorised and can play looking at the music and not the keys. Not this time, I'm going to have to rely on playing praeambulum from memory and that scares me!

#8 BrokenChordsGirlCG169

BrokenChordsGirlCG169

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Member: 897683
  • south-east

Posted 11 June 2017 - 19:05

Grade 4 piano in July. Also not feeling ready.

#9 Thepianist

Thepianist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 11 June 2017 - 20:33

You may be more ready than you think you are. If your teacher has put you in for it then you are ready. I took my grade 6 piano exam a few weeks ago and received my mark last week. I scored 123 with a merit but annoyed that my aural let me down a bit as I never revise it. Still scored a 14 on it but I should do it more. I've started learning grade 7 now but also going back through some of the grade 6 pieces too. I must say though it is getting easier. I'm finding that it doesn't take me nowhere near the amount of time it used to take to get the rhythm of a piece. Before it used to take me months to get just the rhythm right let alone the notes. You will all get there just keep going and good luck to everyone I'm sure you will all do fantastic.

#10 Guest: betty boop_*

Guest: betty boop_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:43

I'm doing a cello exam tomorrow and have just written a reply to to the topic " Playing to others"
As an adult it's not an opportunity I ever get so it's a real disadvantage for those like me. I do hope the examiners realise this as it puts us at a huge disadvantage.

#11 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:27

Good luck to everyone taking exams this session. Best wishes LearnerFlute, hope it goes really well in July.

#12 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Member: 463918

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:17

Grade 7 Harp in two weeks  :blink: I don't feel ready on the supporting tests. Hopefully the pieces will be enough to see me through!

#13 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted 12 June 2017 - 16:13

I sat my grade 7 ABRSM today. It was quite an adventure. There was no warm up piano in the waiting area, which meant starting out cold. I did scales first, to get the hands going. He asked for a D major scale first, and I promptly played a d major arpeggios. He said, "that was a lovely arpeggio, but I asked for the scale". I tried to make a joke of it, but he was not having it. After that he asked for one of each type of scale - major, minor harmonic, minor melodic; a third apart major and minor; a scale in thirds; contra scales major & minor; plus two of each type of arpeggios in root and first inversion and dominant and diminished 7th. He asked for well over half of the scales played staccato, including contra chromatic starting on F#. Boy am I glad I spent a lot of time practicing staccato scales! I had to repeat a couple of them, as well as a couple arpeggios, so I do not know how I did.

I made silly mistakes in each piece, but nothing showstopping. The worst was the boogy, where I had two places that I had to ad lib to get back on track. I carried on after each mistakes, which is something they grade on. The Chopin when the best (C# minor nocturne). It went beautifully, but I fluffed the big run!

He asked for the aural next, which kind of threw me off.

Unfortunately I do not think I did well in the Aural. I sang the lower part of a two part phrase, and he said "that was not perfect, let's try again". That surprised me, because I thought I did it well the first time. I am pretty sure I missed the first chord in the cadence, and I am not sure that I was correct on my reasoning on the answers on the piece analysis.

Then after the aural he said "that concludes the exam, thank you" and I started to leave. As I was walking out the door he remembered that he had not asked for sight reading and called me back! The sight reading was a gift. It was really easy, and I think I did well. Always before after the exam, the examiner has chatted with me a bit. Not this examiner. It was like he was rushing me out the door!

So, now the long wait. It is usually two weeks before we get results. I am fairly sure I passed, but the examiner sure did not give anything away. :blink:

#14 Thepianist

Thepianist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 12 June 2017 - 16:31

I sat my grade 7 ABRSM today. It was quite an adventure. There was no warm up piano in the waiting area, which meant starting out cold. I did scales first, to get the hands going. He asked for a D major scale first, and I promptly played a d major arpeggios. He said, "that was a lovely arpeggio, but I asked for the scale". I tried to make a joke of it, but he was not having it. After that he asked for one of each type of scale - major, minor harmonic, minor melodic; a third apart major and minor; a scale in thirds; contra scales major & minor; plus two of each type of arpeggios in root and first inversion and dominant and diminished 7th. He asked for well over half of the scales played staccato, including contra chromatic starting on F#. Boy am I glad I spent a lot of time practicing staccato scales! I had to repeat a couple of them, as well as a couple arpeggios, so I do not know how I did.

I made silly mistakes in each piece, but nothing showstopping. The worst was the boogy, where I had two places that I had to ad lib to get back on track. I carried on after each mistakes, which is something they grade on. The Chopin when the best (C# minor nocturne). It went beautifully, but I fluffed the big run!

He asked for the aural next, which kind of threw me off.

Unfortunately I do not think I did well in the Aural. I sang the lower part of a two part phrase, and he said "that was not perfect, let's try again". That surprised me, because I thought I did it well the first time. I am pretty sure I missed the first chord in the cadence, and I am not sure that I was correct on my reasoning on the answers on the piece analysis.

Then after the aural he said "that concludes the exam, thank you" and I started to leave. As I was walking out the door he remembered that he had not asked for sight reading and called me back! The sight reading was a gift. It was really easy, and I think I did well. Always before after the exam, the examiner has chatted with me a bit. Not this examiner. It was like he was rushing me out the door!

So, now the long wait. It is usually two weeks before we get results. I am fairly sure I passed, but the examiner sure did not give anything away. :blink:

Sounds to me like you have easily passed! Well done for having the courage to do it :D I hope you have done really well!

#15 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 12 June 2017 - 18:16

That sounds quite an experience!! Seems like the examiner didn't do a lot to put you at ease, which seems a bit mean. Fingers crossed for you, and for all the brave people doing exams soon!!