#16 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 05 January 2019 - 23:11

Am I the only person who bakes practically every day?! With only two of us at home for a lot of the time nowadays, eating the baked goods can be a challenge. We don't want to end up as fat as pigs. But we always have something homemade to go at. Mind you, I was surprised to discover quite recently that many people don't have pudding every day. Who knew?!

#17 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3396 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:34

We always have cake on the go and puddings but as OH has a physical job, it has no impact on his weight. I try not to indulge too much as my job is definitely not physical!

#18 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:43

I just eat a little bit. My husband cycles a lot so is skinny whatever eats, but he didn't overdo it.

#19 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5791 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 January 2019 - 13:45

I make one cake a year pretty much, the Christmas cake.  Usually we manage to start it in December, although one year it didn't happen until January (Dec 28th this year!) - usually it's finished by the end of January.  I probably end up eating 90% of it...

We usually start ours (making it, that is!) in October / November, and then OH feeds it rather large quantities of brandy every so often until I put the marzipan on. This year it was particularly good, I am told, although as I don't eat dried fruit, I have to rely on hearsay. The marzipan was very nice, though (but I have to admit it was shop-bought this year. One year we made our own marzipan, and I didn't think it was any better - just hopelessly s-t-r-e-t-c-h-y to put on). 

This thread is fun. It's enticing me to make a cake this afternoon. Nothing fancy, mind you, just the usual gluten-free, dairy-free variety, with peppermint buttercream in the middle. (Yum!)

#20 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 January 2019 - 14:02

Oh, yes, the Christmas cake gets made in October, we just usually start eating it some time between Christmas and new year.  Shop bought marzipan for me, too.  I made marzipan once, and was satisfied that I'd done it, but happy to pay for it ready-made thereafter :lol:

I won't be making cake this afternoon, because I can still see remaining Christmas pudding, mince pies, Ecchlefechan tarts and, yes, the Christmas cake!

#21 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 06 January 2019 - 15:36

Oh dear, just had a VERY frustrating clothes shopping trip.  No cake here for a loooong time!

#22 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 06 January 2019 - 21:21

I don't often make cakes - with just the 2 of us it's too much temptation. Mr Witzend could easily scoff half an 8 inch Victoria sandwich in 20 minutes, which is why I usually only make one when expecting guests. I could easily make a pig of myself, too. We like it with blackcurrant jam - very slightly tart. Find strawberry or raspberry a mite too sweet.

Having said that, the last cake I made (family staying for pre Christmas meet up and present swap) was a gluten free apple cake, since 2 of them are gluten intolerant. Very nice and moist - ground almonds as well as GF flour - and it did double duty, warmed up a bit as pud, with cream, for those two.