#19636 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 21 February 2019 - 18:02

Good luck with the house sorting.  My mother has been slowly trying to sort out her house; it's 3 years this week since my father died, her health's not great and the plan is to sell up and move back to the UK where my sister and I now live.  She's found it really slow going but some of it is sounding promising now.  My aargh was when talking with her earlier this week I realised she's starting to think in terms of being able to move around Christmas, which would be lovely - only for complex inheritance tax planning reasons, we've been advised to coordinate her move with the tax year and she had forgotten, what with everything else she's been doing.

We need to work out what to do for her (big) birthday in June, too.

#19637 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 21 February 2019 - 18:43

Happy new television, Aquarelle! smile.png

#19638 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6628 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:48

Pah, just received an email telling me (and several others) off for being no shows at a training course.  I have replied stating that:

* I didn't want to go on the training as it was to 5.30pm at a non-local location

* The training class was then full up of people who did want to attend

* So we were told to sign up and join the wait list, so they could gauge interest for future runs of the course (at a better location)

* And I heard nothing else

* Until today's telling off for a no show

I'm guessing that enough people cancelled that we fell off the waiting list and in to the class, but there was no notification.  I hopeful that someone will be able to see this in the system...that may be a little optimistic, so my back up is that the rest of the people have a similar story.

And this is all a tiny nothing in the scheme of things, but I'm rather delicate at the moment so this is enough to cause tears and shaking.  Manager is also out of the country this week and next, so I'm not going to see her in person to feel like I'm not in Big Trouble for ages...

#19639 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 22 February 2019 - 14:08

Maize, you should be tough and refuse to accept liability for this as it was your employers/training proividers fault for not notifying you off the change in circumstances.

I would raise it with your manager, via email so you have an evidential trail, and await a response. If it causes a black mark against your name your manager should be able to get it removed if it is genuinely not your fault.

Also I would enquire with whoever made the arrangements as to how people were supposed to know about the change in cirucmstances. They may admit they made an error although I somehow doubt this.

#19640 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2536 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 22 February 2019 - 15:26

Took my Dad to the memory clinic where the doctor took little notice of what me and my sister said and plenty of notice of the nonsense my dad said. He ignored every piece of evidence that didn't fit with what he'd decided, and couldn't see the things that would really improve Dad's life, rather than prolong it. It was very disappointing as the doctor seemed on the ball the last time we went. We didn't get a chance to speak to him without Dad, which we did the last time, meaning more 'personal'problems were difficult to discuss without embarrassing Dad, who most certainly wasn't going to mention them, if he can even remember. Everything takes so long, when Dad needs action taking now to improve his quality of life. Dementia is an awful business.

#19641 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17373 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 22 February 2019 - 16:14

I sympathise, we had mother in law with us for 5 years until she passed (her home was 280 miles away). She had to be taken to the memory clinic and suchlike. But I am sure we gave her a better  quality of life than she would have had in a nursing home.

#19642 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6628 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 22 February 2019 - 16:25

Sympathies to banjogirl :(

VH - the email was from the head of department to my manager telling us to be "gently" reminded about attending training (not how one wants ones name shown off to HoD; and, yes, HoD did use "gently" in quotes!!)  I replied to my manager with pretty much what I posted here, just slightly less bullet pointy.  All the training is managed on an internal system, so I'm pretty sure if anyone can/does look, they will see if my proposed situation is what occurred.  But knowing the system, it may not actually be possible to do that :rolleyes:

I don't suspect there will be any black mark, virtual or actual, except inside my head.  My manager is super-nice so I think even if it were my fault she's unlikely to hold non-repeat offences against me!

On the up side, it distressed me enough to chase up the endocrinology department who have spent months faffing to get info to my GP, well knowing I'm symptomatic and struggling (just not life threatening so probably way down their priority list)

#19643 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 22 February 2019 - 21:32

:thereThere: Banjogirl and Maizie.

#19644 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6463 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:21

Took my Dad to the memory clinic where the doctor took little notice of what me and my sister said and plenty of notice of the nonsense my dad said. He ignored every piece of evidence that didn't fit with what he'd decided, and couldn't see the things that would really improve Dad's life, rather than prolong it. It was very disappointing as the doctor seemed on the ball the last time we went. We didn't get a chance to speak to him without Dad, which we did the last time, meaning more 'personal'problems were difficult to discuss without embarrassing Dad, who most certainly wasn't going to mention them, if he can even remember. Everything takes so long, when Dad needs action taking now to improve his quality of life. Dementia is an awful business.

Very difficult Banjogirl. I'm glad you've got your sister so you give each other moral support.

There really is too little funding in the NHS pot for elderly mental health, and if your parent doesn't quite fit in a nice tidy category it can prove to be awkward for the doctors and gets brushed under the carpet - unless one's parent actually takes things out on a doctor and says things which they shouldn't in which case the system can be made to work very quickly indeed!

#19645 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 February 2019 - 15:33

After many years with hotmail, finally at end of tether after the account was hacked last week, and endless problems ever since.

Umpteen passwords, none of which are accepted, and inability to send emails.

Bye bye hotmail. goodNight.gif

#19646 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 23 February 2019 - 16:37

After many years with hotmail, finally at end of tether after the account was hacked last week, and endless problems ever since.

Umpteen passwords, none of which are accepted, and inability to send emails.

Bye bye hotmail. goodNight.gif

I would be very surprised if this sort of thing was limited to Hotmail. I have a Hotmail account I use as a secondary email and it has served its purpose well but of course others' experiances may differ.

#19647 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 23 February 2019 - 17:39

I got on well with hotmail until I started using a Win10 laptop, and then found that it a total shambles. Because Hotmail was a microsoft product, and I foolishly admitted my existing account when setting up Win10, the win 10 mail app hijacked my outlook account and presents the mail at the bottom of the screen. That's fine, but I'm on a shared laptop and I don't necessarily want the rest of the family blundering into my Hotmail. There's nothing secret there, but I don't want the kid replying to the electrician, for example.

Microsoft's view is that everyone should have their own log-on. Local computer shop's view is that all versions of windows collapse regularly enough on cheap laptops with sufficient catastrophicness to need a complete reinstall (and the built-in re-install on laptops never works), and it takes three times as long (and therefore costs three times as much) to recover three user accounts before they reinstall, as to retrieve just one. They strongly recommend a single account.

Meanwhile when I first had Win10, the built in mail app couldn't handle sending mail. It either sent nothing, or multiple copies (up to about 50 in the worst case). And because the PC was logged on as Me, you couldn't check a different Hotmail in the edge browser.

Some of this seems to have got a lot better a few updates later, but given the mess that Microsoft made of it, I use Hotmail less nowadays. I try to like Microsoft for the good things they've done (Excel) but they make it hard sometimes.

#19648 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6079 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:10

Dear Allianz Insurance

Please amend and fix your automatic call handling process. No, we don't need the mind-numbing detail of GDPR etc on every call - we're grown-up and can find it on your web site thank you very much. And by the way, customers are happier if they are actually IN a queue, not randomly put through to an unattended phone which provides the background noises of your office, but doesn't actually result in being attended to...

Once you get through (three attempts) the staff and everything else are fine... 

#19649 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:10

Booked a holiday cottage in Southern Ireland for late spring holiday. The company we booked with have been in touch to say we might need a Green Card for driving there and we might need health insurance - and it all hangs on whether there is a no-deal Brexit!

#19650 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 25 February 2019 - 14:46

And I might need a permit or live and work here where I have been for 35 years and goodness knows what bungles will be made over pensions and health care and my friends who stop off here on their way to Spain may no longer be allowed to bring their dogs and I imagine that all my parcels from musicroom UK will now arrive very late and will probably be opened and checked by customs and ...and... and .;;. It's no use anyone saying all will be well and we are worrying about nothing. When I asked the British Pensions people about  any possible effect on my pension (ie whether I would still get the yearly increases which you don't always get if you live outside the EU) all they could say was "Don't ask us - we don't know anything."

My sadness and anger and insecurity  are as alive today as the day of the referendum (in which I, British citizen though I am) was not allowed to vote. Of course if Brexit happens I won't be able to vote in the EU elections either. I hope, Misterioso that none of these "mights" will happen but I very much fear that they will.