#1 Harry_

Harry_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 898127

Posted 13 February 2019 - 16:45

Hi,

I'm an adult learner at an intermediate level (classical guitar and vocal [with musical theatre preference]). I'm based in Northern Ireland.

I wonder if anyone could recommend:

a) any good retreats/holidays (guitar/singing) for my sort of level; or

b) any good opportunities to perform. I've entered a local music festival and I enjoy 'performing' in exams, but I'm keen to experience a range of performance opportunities.

Thanks very much!

Harry.

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 13 February 2019 - 17:06

Welcome to the forum!

Care homes and hospitals are always delighted to have entertainers. Also, quite a lot of local authorities and churches run clubs for the elderly.  I play the fiddle in a ceilidh band that regularly performs in local care homes  - I've just got back from a gig this afternoon.  I also volunteer at a dementia club in my church and, although I'm not much of a singer, lead them in sing-alongs accompanied by my trusty ukulele.  The old folk love it and are always very appreciative - I find it really rewarding.

#3 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14574 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 13 February 2019 - 23:05

There are masses of courses - from residential summer schools to half-day workshops - where you can expand your knowledge and skills, both with reference to your playing and in general terms.

Have fun investigating them all!

:)

#4 Harry_

Harry_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:18

Welcome to the forum!

Care homes and hospitals are always delighted to have entertainers. Also, quite a lot of local authorities and churches run clubs for the elderly.  I play the fiddle in a ceilidh band that regularly performs in local care homes  - I've just got back from a gig this afternoon.  I also volunteer at a dementia club in my church and, although I'm not much of a singer, lead them in sing-alongs accompanied by my trusty ukulele.  The old folk love it and are always very appreciative - I find it really rewarding.

Thanks -- that's a really good suggestion I hadn't thought of.

#5 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:51

A couple of thoughts on performing at care-homes and the liike. (Experienced all these myself!)
Your audience can have very different ideas of being entertained.

Music fans who love hearing any live classical music;
Folk who like to hear classical pieces they know;
Those who very much appreciate that someone comes especially to play to them;
Folk who like to hear music they can sing along to, things from their childhood;
Those who like background music while they chat with their friends (not necessarily the person sitting next to them);
Those with dementia who recognise that music is music and start to sing a favourite song irrespective of what the musician is playing; (Had that one in a church service in a Home for the Elderly)
Even those who really love the music played, may not have the attention span to listen for too long and may become restless.
You may well land up with a mixture of these types.

And there are those who appreciate you coming, love the music and want to tell you so. And they love to tell you about their own musical experiences too. Be patient with them. (This is us in five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty or fifty years time!)

#6 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 17 February 2019 - 14:09

just a thought on care homes, some are now linking up with primary schools and having small groups visit the home for activity sessions, seems to benefit the children and the residents - perhaps there is scope for doing a joint singing session or something if you have homes in your area that do that

#7 Harry_

Harry_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 14:25

Pity you aren't in NW England, as we have several 'Lets play piano' groups which meet monthly. Certainly there are ones in Liverpool, Manchester, Clitheroe and Morecambe.  There are also many more around all parts  country.  Unfortunately I dont know of one in N.Ireland.  We get up to 40 attending in Liverpool (2nd Sat morning each month), but only about 20-25 usually want to play, some just come to listen or they are friends of those playing.  Standard goes from middle grades to beyond 'A' diploma. 

Yes -- That sounds right up my street. Maybe I should start one over here...

#8 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 17:44

Have a look on your local Meetup - there may be something already.

#9 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 19 February 2019 - 18:51

A couple of friends and I are endeavouring to establish a piano group in Morecambe, Lancashire. We have had four meetings to date and another six are planned during 2019. I would be very happy to describe our progress in setting up the group should the original poster wish to know more.

#10 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 21 February 2019 - 16:21

Pity you aren't in NW England, as we have several 'Lets play piano' groups which meet monthly. Certainly there are ones in Liverpool, Manchester, Clitheroe and Morecambe.  There are also many more around all parts  country.  Unfortunately I dont know of one in N.Ireland.  We get up to 40 attending in Liverpool (2nd Sat morning each month), but only about 20-25 usually want to play, some just come to listen or they are friends of those playing.  Standard goes from middle grades to beyond 'A' diploma. 

Yes -- That sounds right up my street. Maybe I should start one over here...

The 'Lets Play Piano' groups operate under the 'Meet Up' organisation. If you are serious at having a go, first requirement would be a venue with a decent piano ! I may be able to put you in touch with the guy who runs ours (and Manchester) but there are two forum members who also run groups who might help.

confused how this evolved into 'piano', Harry said he played classical guitar and sang!
So probably easier to find a venue as may not require a piano or at least not one as good as a piano group may require but acoustics of venue would be rather more important - I would be looking at Methodist/URC churches to start with. If you combine it with a coffee morning or something you may well be able to strike a deal for free

#11 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:18

Hi,

I'm an adult learner at an intermediate level (classical guitar and vocal [with musical theatre preference]). I'm based in Northern Ireland.

I wonder if anyone could recommend:

a) any good retreats/holidays (guitar/singing) for my sort of level; or
b) any good opportunities to perform. I've entered a local music festival and I enjoy 'performing' in exams, but I'm keen to experience a range of performance opportunities.

Thanks very much!

Harry.

#12 Karensnagsby

Karensnagsby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Member: 888071

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:43

The International Guitar Foundation run summer schools in Bath if you would like a trip over to England. I think they are annual. I did their Classical guitar course about six years ago. You do get the opportunity to play in the end of course concert as part of the guitar orchestra, (that’s all the students), within a smaller ensemble group and your own solo piece as well. They also bring in professional performing artists for evening concerts, who lead masterclasses throughout the week.

London Guitar festival, also run by the IGF is in the autumn. I think they run workshops or master classes. There are some really good concerts as well. Ana Vidovic was in concert last year and she lead a masterclass which I attended. As a Classical guitarist you would enjoy it if you would like a few days away!

#13 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 23 February 2019 - 16:38

I used to belong to an ameatur piano group who used to meet every month and play pieces.   This is in London and was a piano meet up group.  I no longer go because I could not spare the time on a Saturday to go up to London but if you want to perform then that is  way of doing it.     The other people were at intermediate level but one woman attended who was a piano teacher who had a diploma and a degree but the group was mainly for intermediate pianists who wanted to gain experience playing in front of others.   The group is called London Piano meet up group and you have to be on facebook

The original person who ran the group used to post on here not to advertise her group but to just post generally.  She is a teacher and harpsichordist but has since handed the group over to other people to run

Good luck

#14 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 17:16

OP is a guitarist - though the principle of finding a group to play with is the same.

#15 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 23 February 2019 - 18:39

oops it would help if I read the OP.    Anyway the principal is still the same.  Maybe there is  guitar meet up group