BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:50

I'm guessing many of us will have copies of these books now.  What do you think?  

#2 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 19 June 2017 - 13:31

What????? they're out already  :o

#3 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • UK

Posted 19 June 2017 - 16:24

They were released a couple of weeks ago!  My copies arrived last week.   :)    :piano:   

#4 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:11

Have ordered them should arrive tomorrow Amazon prime so will resume conversation tomorrow. What do you think of them?  I've quite enjoyed most of the last ones because they commission new pieces.  Won't be sorry to see the back of Ghostly Conversations though.   :D

#5 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:52

Played through 8 and 3 today......who could not fall in love with Ireland Elegy,........ (collapses into reverie).....

#6 Sautillé

Sautillé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:54

Played through 8 and 3 today......who could not fall in love with Ireland Elegy,........ (collapses into reverie).......

#7 tangerine

tangerine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Member: 116120

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:26

I love Sarah in Grade 7.

#8 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7657 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:14

I have Initial to grade 5. So far I've played through Initial, grade 1 and grade 2. Certainly grades 1 and 2 are a lot easier than the last book, but in all of these books so far I find the pieces far less attractive. The exercises aren't too bad - given my irritation with these in the first place (they have no place in the technical section of the exam, the stated "purpose" of each of them - tone/voicing/balance. co-ordination, wrist and finger strength and flexibility - are interchangeable, they present no more technical challenge than the pieces, musically too short to be appealing)

And what has upset me is that in these first three grades, hardly a single one of the alternative pieces is in a book which I already own - not even any Classics-to-Moderns. So if we can't find a piee we like I have no real choice but to shell out for a new book.

#9 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • UK

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:43

I have Initial to grade 5. So far I've played through Initial, grade 1 and grade 2. Certainly grades 1 and 2 are a lot easier than the last book, but in all of these books so far I find the pieces far less attractive. The exercises aren't too bad - given my irritation with these in the first place (they have no place in the technical section of the exam, the stated "purpose" of each of them - tone/voicing/balance. co-ordination, wrist and finger strength and flexibility - are interchangeable, they present no more technical challenge than the pieces, musically too short to be appealing)

And what has upset me is that in these first three grades, hardly a single one of the alternative pieces is in a book which I already own - not even any Classics-to-Moderns. So if we can't find a piee we like I have no real choice but to shell out for a new book.

I'm glad you've said this Linda, as these are my thoughts, exactly.  The first few grades (Initial - Grade 2) the pieces aren't too hard, but (with one or two exceptions) they're just all so dull!  Snooze.  Can't see my pupils being particularly inspired.  And yes, I was shocked that the alternatives almost all from less popular books as well - I have hardly any.  Not overly impressed tbh.  

With many of my students, I simply play through the pieces (from the book and any alternatives I have) for AB and Trinity and let them pick the set the like the most.  I suspect AB is going to win out a lot more this time round.  

Having said all that, I adore the new Grade 5 list!  I loved the old G5 pieces, but love these even more.   :wub:   Quite like the G4 pieces as well.  

I've only played through up to G5 so far, so will let you know what I think of the upper grades....

#10 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 15:04

Just arrived, gut reaction, not much to stretch the youngsters then a bit of a jump of standard at grade 3/4ish  I think I'll enjoy the higher grades - off to the piano to have a proper look.  

#11 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22147 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 20 June 2017 - 16:35

Are the exercises different from the current syllabus?

#12 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 16:39

Are the exercises different from the current syllabus?

yes 

I still miss Chickens from the original TG book, that was the best exercise ever :) 

#13 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2037 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 16:46

Honestly, am I missing something with the first 3 grades and initial, they all seem to be a grade out of where I'd place them?

They're also fine for the little kids who habitually don't practise particularly well but there is nothing for the more mature learner.  

#14 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7657 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 20 June 2017 - 18:27

Honestly, am I missing something with the first 3 grades and initial, they all seem to be a grade out of where I'd place them?

They're also fine for the little kids who habitually don't practise particularly well but there is nothing for the more mature learner.  

Yes, they're SO much easier, I would have put most of the music in the first three grades one grade lower. It doesn't do anything for Trinity's reputation for being on a par with ABRSM.

#15 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2642 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 20 June 2017 - 19:25

That's interesting. I haven't used Trinity for a long time, but when I did, I always felt the grading was harder than abrsm. I do sometimes use LCM and feel that is on the easy side for the grade.