soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 27 January 2013 - 21:05

Glad you enjoyed your shopping trip. The Aurora was my daughter's favourite Salvi.

#17 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 463918

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:00

QUOTE(soccermom @ Jan 27 2013, 09:05 PM) View Post

Glad you enjoyed your shopping trip. The Aurora was my daughter's favourite Salvi.

I went back on Friday and tried the Aurora. It was so lovely smile.gif Played 2 different Auroras and preferred the sound of one of them to the other. Also played it next to a Diana and it sounded better than that and is cheaper, which is always good.

I think this is the one for me!

#18 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 68406
  • North-east

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:45

QUOTE(AWebb @ Feb 4 2013, 01:00 PM) View Post

I went back on Friday and tried the Aurora. It was so lovely smile.gif Played 2 different Auroras and preferred the sound of one of them to the other. Also played it next to a Diana and it sounded better than that and is cheaper, which is always good.

I think this is the one for me!

Wonderful! Glad you have found one you love biggrin.gif Hope you can get it soon and start enjoying it!

#19 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:11

Lovely - what colour?

#20 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:10

QUOTE(GMc @ Feb 4 2013, 09:11 PM) View Post

Lovely - what colour?

It's the ebony one. It was the one I preferred but most importantly it sounded the best out of the harps I tried smile.gif

#21 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:58

How exciting! So are you buying it...?

#22 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:09

QUOTE(soccermom @ Feb 5 2013, 06:58 PM) View Post

Yup! Just need to move some money around and it's all done biggrin.gif

#23 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:59

QUOTE(AWebb @ Feb 5 2013, 10:09 PM) View Post

QUOTE(soccermom @ Feb 5 2013, 06:58 PM) View Post

Yup! Just need to move some money around and it's all done biggrin.gif

It is here biggrin.gif

#24 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:35

harp.gif clap.gif hurrah.gif

Yeah! Happy harpy weekend! Do tell us your first impressions....

#25 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:52

How is the cello going Collyermum?

I fairly quickly got back in the swing considering i had a 30 yr gap (all be it with rather sore fingers and a lot poorer from string purchases) but have sort of plateaued now. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get back to previous standard if indeed that is possible. Might be a long project but teacher is encouraging and says I would be fine in any of the local orchestras now. That was my first aim - to be able to join a good amateur orchestra. Now of course I cam eying up old concertos and sonatas. Teacher is eying up a new bow for me but well into 4 figures so I am baulking.

Got fearsome exercises written by teacher - double stops and string crossing at speed galore! Good for intonation which does sound better. But now I am old I can only think about very few things at once I find. DD is enjoying accompanying me on piano and harp. We sight read from my old Cole and Butterworth book and the (More) Time Pieces ABRSM series and when we find a good one we stop and work on it!

#26 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:33

QUOTE(GMc @ Feb 10 2013, 03:52 AM) View Post

How is the cello going Collyermum?

I fairly quickly got back in the swing considering i had a 30 yr gap (all be it with rather sore fingers and a lot poorer from string purchases) but have sort of plateaued now. Be interesting to see how long it takes to get back to previous standard if indeed that is possible. Might be a long project but teacher is encouraging and says I would be fine in any of the local orchestras now. That was my first aim - to be able to join a good amateur orchestra. Now of course I cam eying up old concertos and sonatas. Teacher is eying up a new bow for me but well into 4 figures so I am baulking.

Got fearsome exercises written by teacher - double stops and string crossing at speed galore! Good for intonation which does sound better. But now I am old I can only think about very few things at once I find. DD is enjoying accompanying me on piano and harp. We sight read from my old Cole and Butterworth book and the (More) Time Pieces ABRSM series and when we find a good one we stop and work on it!

Sounds like fun, GMc ! How far had you got when you stopped?

My teacher just suggested I take grade 1 next term, which should be fun as I've never taken a grade 1 before on any of my other musical endeavours! I might feel a bit daft but I'm looking forward to having something to work towards. He then proceeded to give me the 3 major scales to practice over half term. They aren't too bad!

I find getting intonation right the hardest of course. I've only done singing before where intonation was variable, and that seems to come naturally. Cello is much harder. although I'm enjoying only playing one line of music for a change!

#27 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59

That is great. I think it would be fun to do a grade 1 when you know that the aurals will be a breeze, the scales are manageable and the sightreading will be a hoot. One line sightreading is such a gift for pianists and harpists! Even though I may not sound great I can still give pretty much everything in my music case that I ever played a whirl - the notes seem embedded in the brain although the higher positions intonation remains challenging esp at speed... And I have no idea how I used to pick a fingering with all the options available!

I went quickly though the cello grades starting with V. I had a number of years of dodgy violin playing behind me and made a quick start. I did grade VIII when I was 14 and then sort of coasted along - played in county youth orchestra for years. Pretty much gave up when I left school - I sang at uni rather then play in an orchestra. Since then pretty much nothing apart from piano until recently.

I quite like a drone with my scales by the way - as long as you know your intervals and can hear when they are right it helps the left hand!