Photo

I am a new member, any mature harp students on this forum?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Member: 893020

Posted 17 April 2015 - 20:55

Thanks Sopsaxharpflute,my three set pieces - While Bagpipes Play by J.S. Bach, Hippotamus Rag and Mountain Stream by S. Kanga.

#32 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:51

Hi Angel, how nice! I found links to mp3's of them on http://shop.morleyha...og/Grade_2.html

#33 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 23:46

Yes, I know about those mp3's - they are fabulous to have access to. For inspiration I still prefer to go to You Tube to see seven year olds playing my exam set pieces. This little girl can't say Hippotamus Rag but plays it beautifully.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=JP1UQd57K_g

This young lady is playing one of my chosen Grade 3 pieces - Pozzoli, Study 1, Medium Difficolta
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=jWkDNeXDVZs

I love watching young players - not a care in world & no sign of performance nerves. I want to play without nerves!

#34 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:52

Hi Angels, thanks for the links. Yes, the young ones don't know what stage fright is and just have a great time playing in front of an audience. By the way, you may be interested in the blog of Dr. Noa Kageyama of http://www.bulletproofmusician.com He writes great blogs about learning music and about overcoming anxiety when playing for other people.

#35 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 463918

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:15

Congratulations, Angel!

#36 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:36

Thanks so much for hat very helpful link to Dr. Noa Kageyama's Bulletproof musician. I have subscribed to his updates and emails and very interested in his course.

I signed up with Ann Sullivan's Harp Mastery soon after I started playing the harp. Ann runs webinars and her next one is tomorrow night called "Express Yourself During Practice. it can't be harmful, except its at 2am GMT. ;-) http://harpmastery.com/

It's a very good idea to hear different opinions on playing and practicing. It's motivational for someone like mewho is far from a big centre, other harpists and groups. I'm not a stranger to Skype so it's very possible once I get a bit further down the road harp playing I'll be looking for master classes via Skype from various excellent harpists.

I was very surprised to read that some musicians and sports people take beta blockers to overcome anxiety and stress playing in front of audiences. I'd rather not so I'm hoping Dr. Noa can help.

#37 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:43

Thank you AWebb, it's a start!

I should have easily managed a Merit and will aim higher in the future. What are you working towards at the moment?
My partner bought, on Ebay, Handels Harp Concerto in E flat Major for me. It's aspirational at this point but some day it's going to be in my repertoire.

#38 AWebb

AWebb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Member: 463918

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:24

I'm pretty much just working on pieces and scales etc for Grade 6 at the moment. I'm planning to play:

Pavane and Variations - Cabezon

Interlude from A Ceremony of Carols - Britten

Study No 12 - Pozzoli

I don't feel I've made a huge amount of progress in the last few weeks but I shall persevere :)

#39 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 68406
  • North-east

Posted 21 April 2015 - 18:40

It's interesting to hear what people are doing.  I think from what I can see of the syllabus that it splits very much into lever and pedal harp pieces, there isn't much crossover - except for studies? (or all that many lever pieces, but I digress...).

So I'm doing the Dark Woman of the Glen (Bean Dubh an Gleanna?), the Butterfly Tree and the Damase C4 study. The Damase is great, one hand is in B flat and the other in D, it's loads of fun and really different/modern for the harp, especially the Lever harp which tends to have a lot of Celtic repertoire (like my A piece which is an old Irish Air).  The B piece is an Alfredo Ortiz, South American Harp piece . My teacher has a Columbian Harp and it is admittedly much, much easier to play it on that - the fingerspacing is much closer (a tenth is closer to our octave) and the tension is SO much looser - it makes all the very fast repetition do-able.  I might even borrow her harp for a while to see if I might use it for the exam! It's good to be able to do such a range of completely different styles :-)

What do any of you think of your pieces - what are they like?

#40 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 23:18

Hello AWebb.... I guess we all get to the stage when we sort if plateau and paper not to make progress. Hope this phase ends soon and you make the progress you need. I listened to the webinar I mentioned in Post 36 and Ann Sullivan did have some good ideas about making practice more satisfying. I have the link to the webinar, not sure if its ethical to post it one here but happy to share it privately.

I found a couple of your pieces on You Tube, Pavanne and Variations played by Prof. David Watkins (Prof. of Harp).
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=d2eTKJmMuUs
It's a lovely but challenging obviously a piece. I looked at Pozzoli 12, it's in my book. Can't wait to get that far myself and take heart in the fact you have managed to reach such a challenging level in three short years.

Play through the hard times, you'll win out in the end.

#41 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 23:36

Hi Collyermun, nosy me, I found the lovely Butterfly Tree played on harp and whistle. It's a gorgeous piece. There is something very special about traditional Celtic music. It's something I do want to investigate and play myself.

You asked what I thought of my new pieces - I them, even though they are more challenging. Can't wait to master them.

Alpine Waltz is special to me - it was played as the entrance music to a very special occasion. It's happy and sweet.
Gavotte is challenging but has some very beautiful base - I'm mastering the new level of difficulty much quicker and with less trouble than my Grade 2 pieces.
Pozzoli No. 1 - I have to read every note every time I practice. It's challenging because there appears to be no method in the sequences. I'm going to first play the first note in each hand and say the note name aloud and progress to playing the three notes as a chord instead of a triplet and eventually play the triplets. Teacher says it might help.

#42 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 00:33

AWebb, I have just seen this post on the Adult Learners Forum - this may be note resting for you. I have just taken a look at reviews on Amazon and one in particular recommends the book highly so does he person who posted on Adults.

https://www.abrsm.org...topic=57762&hl=

#43 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:21

I love the Celtic music too, that's why I am doing the Irish Air.

The Butterfly Tree is actually South American - I found a youtube of someone playing it on the Celtic harp but to be played authentically it should go a LOT faster than this. Whether I can achieve that on the Celtic harp remains to be seen - its much easier on a S American Harp!!

Glad you like your pieces. I am sure the more you look at the Pozzoli the more patterns you will find - maybe your teacher can help? There usually are patterns but it can take me months to find them sometimes! :-)

Hi Collyermun, nosy me, I found the lovely Butterfly Tree played on harp and whistle. It's a gorgeous piece. There is something very special about traditional Celtic music. It's something I do want to investigate and play myself.

#44 Angel14

Angel14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 20:13

I found Maria Grossi's Metodo per Arpa: 65 Piccoli Studi Facili e Progressivi. I also found someone on You Tube demonstrating how to do the exercises. I still need to find the English translations for this book or embark on Italian language lessons. ;-)

I'm so new to playing music that I don't have a preferred music genre beyond the very broad range of classics. I guess with more experience playing various composers I'll begin to find a favourite. There's no hurry!

#45 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:11

Hi Angel14

The Virtual Harp Circle has an English translation of the Grossi in the files on the yahoo homepage that you can download.

Enjoy! They are very good exercises of course -they are the gold standard for harpists :-)