#16 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:24

Have just heard that I’ve passed my ATCL so am now starting to think about putting together a programme for the LTCL although it will no doubt be a few years in the preparation! Thinking along the lines of maybe some Scarlatti as I did the Bach G major French Suite for my ATCL, a Mozart sonata maybe, Chopin G minor Ballade and Debussy’s Toccata from Pour le Piano. I did the Sarabande from this for my ATCL and wanted to learn the rest so it’s in my bucket list. Maybe the Takemitsu for something modern? So many decisions!

Congrats on the ATCL.

#17 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:18

Have just heard that I’ve passed my ATCL ...

Congratulations!

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17530 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:30

Have just heard that I’ve passed my ATCL so am now starting to think about putting together a programme for the LTCL although it will no doubt be a few years in the preparation! Thinking along the lines of maybe some Scarlatti as I did the Bach G major French Suite for my ATCL, a Mozart sonata maybe, Chopin G minor Ballade and Debussy’s Toccata from Pour le Piano. I did the Sarabande from this for my ATCL and wanted to learn the rest so it’s in my bucket list. Maybe the Takemitsu for something modern? So many decisions!

Well done.   I got my A dip at age 16  (1963!) , and thought about doing the 'L' when I retired 7 years ago.  But Ive no real reason to do it except for personal satisfaction. I did prepare some repertoire, and decided Ballade no. 3 was rather less demanding than the G Minor (No1)  . If you stick with the G Minor , I recommend you read this, if you havent already do so..https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-2      Its an amateur pianist's attempt to learn it over a period of a year.

#19 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:07

Congratulations. :)
Worth some bubbly, or your splurge of choice!

#20 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6061 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 17 May 2019 - 20:03

Congratulations Fazioligirl! And thank you everyone for the good luck wishes..

Because I am crazy, I actually started preparing for my LTCL originally more than 5 years ago, and was going to skip ATCL- but I got bored with practising those pieces, so decided to prepare an ATCL programme. 

My proposed LTCL programme (which I had to get approved as 2/5 are off-piste) is

Bach - Prelude & Fugue in C#  BWV 848 from WTC book 1

Mozart - Sonata in A minor K310

Chopin - Nocturne in F Op 15 No 1

Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Op 53

Menotti - Ricercare and Toccata

I came up with this programme some years ago when I was extremely annoyed with my job (I am a computer programmer in real life) and thought I might want to become an accompanist. I couldn't play most of it, and I was prepared for my teacher to tell me to shove off. She did frown and tell me that if I wanted to play that programme I would have to play a certain number of Chopin Etudes in a certain order. I said OK, and we worked on them for a couple of years, and I was able to start learning the notes of the Polonaise a few years ago. I can play through it, but it needs a lot of polishing- everything else, I've performed multiple times and I know I can play. 

If all goes well I'll take it some time next year. 

#21 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:15

Congrats on the ATCL pass! 

corenfa- nice to hear you have started on the Polonaise since we last spoke!

#22 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 18 May 2019 - 17:19

I am stuck. Don't know quite what to do since passing the LRSM. I'm not ready for the FRSM and wouldn't know what to play, so I may aim sideways and take an LTCL with new repertoire.

Looking for inspiration here!

#23 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 18 May 2019 - 17:27

Clovis- I know you're a fan of modern repertoire like me and the TCL syllabus has a much better choice from this period compared to ABRSM. So LTCL (or FTCL) might be worth considering smile.png

#24 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 19 May 2019 - 00:27

IMO there is no reason to take the LTCL after passing the LRSM. I know of someone who barely passed the ARSM after passing the LTCL a couple of years prior, such is the gap in level between exams offered by the two boards.

I am stuck. Don't know quite what to do since passing the LRSM. I'm not ready for the FRSM and wouldn't know what to play, so I may aim sideways and take an LTCL with new repertoire.

#25 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4795 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:25

[quote name="Wai Kit Leung" post="1365620" timestamp="1558225663"]IMO there is no reason to take the LTCL after passing the LRSM. I know of someone who barely passed the ARSM after passing the LTCL a couple of years prior, such is the gap in level between exams offered by the two boards.
Quote]

!!! :o

There could have been all sorts of reasons for that. Complacency, and poor prep, perhaps.

However, I'm sure the cheque will arrive shortly. ;)

#26 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17530 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:19

I would love to play one of the last 5 Beethoven sonatas properly, they are I think in 'F' syllabus.   I am working on Op110 just now, but doubt I'd get the whole thing to performance level.  I can play the last Schubert Sonata D960 in Bflat -  not overly difficult technically.

#27 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:33

Disclaimer: I had a really unpleasant experience with Trinity, so I can be biased.

Besides the example I quoted earlier, I know multiple people who passed LTCL (some comfortably, one even with a distinction) who subsequently failed LRSM multiple times without ever passing it. On the contrary, I do not know of anyone who passed LRSM and failed LTCL.

I took (and passed) DipABRSM, LRSM, FRSM and ATCL on multiple instruments. I can attest that my ATCL-passing performance (on one of my tertiary instruments) would not have gained me a pass in DipABRSM.

[quote name="Wai Kit Leung" post="1365620" timestamp="1558225663"]IMO there is no reason to take the LTCL after passing the LRSM. I know of someone who barely passed the ARSM after passing the LTCL a couple of years prior, such is the gap in level between exams offered by the two boards.
Quote]

!!! :o

There could have been all sorts of reasons for that. Complacency, and poor prep, perhaps.

However, I'm sure the cheque will arrive shortly. ;)

#28 becksloane

becksloane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 898549

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:37

I would love to play one of the last 5 Beethoven sonatas properly, they are I think in 'F' syllabus. I am working on Op110 just now, but doubt I'd get the whole thing to performance level. I can play the last Schubert Sonata D960 in Bflat - not overly difficult technically.

#29 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:39

I need something to work towards, and an excuse to put a 40-minute programme together. The FRSM syllabus isn't doing much for me, so Trinity it will have to be (also cheaper). I'm sure I'll emerge from the post-diploma slump soon.

#30 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 13:53

You can play your own choice(s) for up to 2/3 of the FRSM, in case you didn’t know ^_^

I need something to work towards, and an excuse to put a 40-minute programme together. The FRSM syllabus isn't doing much for me, so Trinity it will have to be (also cheaper). I'm sure I'll emerge from the post-diploma slump soon.