Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41701 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 27 January 2018 - 21:47

Hello.
I'm barry-clari....and I'm playing more and more....'cello.
Ooooo
lovely 'cello.
I can't get enough 'cello. I gaze upon my 'cello in awe and love...
Even putting rosin on my bow is exciting, as I know that what will follow the rosining is lots of 'cello playing...

:D

Anyway :lol: as we have lots of specific instrument threads, let's use this one to discuss 'cello :D

#2 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:11

ooops. Just seen this post!

Where to start??? What are you playing to precipitate such an emotive response??? I'm immersed in Bach suites at the moment, listening to Pierre Fournier play and wondering what he's doing differently to me. Also gazing at Shostakovich Sonata, Haydn C and Cassado Solo Intermezzo wondering whether I'll get there...

When I'm retired I'm going to invent a device that measures, records and displays every muscular response to aid players in trying to do what their teacher is using mere words to get them to do. I'm in a forefinger phase at the moment and wishing I'd spent the first two years bowing open strings to develop the right bowing technique.

#3 Spirulla

Spirulla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 888475

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:19

What a wonderful thread!

The cello is the best instrument ever made.  It's sonorous and huggable, it cheers you up on even the worst February day.

I'm working on the Bach suites too.  Tackling the 3rd suite Bourees and Courante as well as the one with impossible double stops.

Also working on my thumb position.  Have been soaking my thumb in surgical spirit to toughen it up - but don't recommend leaving thumb to soak for more than a couple of minutes at a time. 

My kitchen floor is overdue for cleaning but it will have to wait, the cello is calling to be played and who can resist it's siren song?

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41701 posts
  • South East London

Posted 17 February 2018 - 21:49

First - sorry for slow reply.

cestrian: it’s simply more opportunity to play at school - we have a bit of a ‘cello community which results in more ‘cello playing, so I get better, which means I practice more etc. Virtuous circle.

Like you : largely doing Bach for my own pleasure, but also some ‘cello trios (mostly arranged) and some string quartet work.

Spirulla: good to talk to you. I’m primarily a woodwind player (username gives me away!), but I do enjoy my string work.
I’ve been most pleasantly surprised at my progress over the last year or so, and though I haven’t done any grades (deliberately), it’s nice to think that so much of the gorgeous repertoire out there is now either accessible to me or well on the way to be being so. :)

#5 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 17 February 2018 - 22:23

I understand cello love. wub.png  After hiring a cello for a year, and starting from scratch ( I do also play the violin - badly!)  today was a big day - I've bought one after saving up.  I need to think about what name I'm going to give the cellobiggrin.png .  It's not insured yet so I am nervous to touch it or move it! 

#6 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 26 February 2018 - 17:19

I understand cello love. :wub:  After hiring a cello for a year, and starting from scratch ( I do also play the violin - badly!)  today was a big day - I've bought one after saving up.  I need to think about what name I'm going to give the cello:D .  It's not insured yet so I am nervous to touch it or move it!

I'm considering learning cello as my second instrument and am not sure what to do about acquiring one. I see some on Gumtree for just a two hundred quid or so and am thinking about taking a punt on one. I'm not sure I want to add to my monthly outgoings by hiring one. Either I'll buy a cheap one on Gumtree or sell some things to raise funds.

Which cello did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

#7 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:53

I'm considering learning cello as my second instrument and am not sure what to do about acquiring one. I see some on Gumtree for just a two hundred quid or so and am thinking about taking a punt on one. I'm not sure I want to add to my monthly outgoings by hiring one. Either I'll buy a cheap one on Gumtree or sell some things to raise funds.

A teacher is your best bet. Taking a punt could put you off it for life. A teacher may well know of someone selling or have one not being played. If you haven't played one yet, it's an extremely physical instrument and best to get proper direction right at the beginning.

#8 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:09

I understand cello love. wub.png  After hiring a cello for a year, and starting from scratch ( I do also play the violin - badly!)  today was a big day - I've bought one after saving up.  I need to think about what name I'm going to give the cello:D .  It's not insured yet so I am nervous to touch it or move it!

It was made by Lippold Hammig in Markneukirchen - not quite sure of the date yet!  

I did hire a cello for over a year beforehand.  The poor cello I hired had an accident which fortunately cost me nothing because I'd hired it.  I must insure the one I've just bought urgently ASAP!

#9 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:16

A teacher is your best bet. Taking a punt could put you off it for life. A teacher may well know of someone selling or have one not being played. If you haven't played one yet, it's an extremely physical instrument and best to get proper direction right at the beginning.

Thank you. No, I haven't played one yet. I'll ask at my next piano lesson as my teacher is also a cellist. I thought it would be quite straightforward that say, 5 or £600 would buy a cello to take me a long way but it is a bit of a minefield I see. Trouble is I know nothing about them and I can't take my teacher to buy one so will see how it goes with your suggestion first.

#10 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:17

I understand cello love. :wub:  After hiring a cello for a year, and starting from scratch ( I do also play the violin - badly!)  today was a big day - I've bought one after saving up.  I need to think about what name I'm going to give the cello:D .  It's not insured yet so I am nervous to touch it or move it!

It was made by Lippold Hammig in Markneukirchen - not quite sure of the date yet!  [/size]

I did hire a cello for over a year beforehand.  The poor cello I hired had an accident which fortunately cost me nothing because I'd hired it.  I must insure the one I've just bought urgently ASAP![/size]

Ok, thanks. I can't say I know the name but I'm sure it's very nice. Enjoy.

#11 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41701 posts
  • South East London

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:21

What cestrIan said, DaVid.
I would also go and see any ‘cello you want to buy, ideally with an expert pair of eyes as you don’t yet know much about ‘cellos.

#12 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 15:09

I would also go and see any ‘cello you want to buy, ideally with an expert pair of eyes as you don’t yet know much about ‘cellos.

I would definitely go to see one but it will have to be my own judgement unfortunately which makes me think buying from a reputable shop might be best. God, they are a lot of money though!

#13 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41701 posts
  • South East London

Posted 03 March 2018 - 21:40

I would definitely go to see one but it will have to be my own judgement unfortunately which makes me think buying from a reputable shop might be best. God, they are a lot of money though!
Yes - I agree, re. shop. Ideally have a ‘cello expert at the shop on hand to help you.