#1 Donna-Marie Hughes

Donna-Marie Hughes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 893381

Posted 14 February 2018 - 15:53

Dear lovely teachers,

I would like some advice if possible.  I am in the process of putting together my written submission for the above in July and I am getting conflicting advice as to the "language" to use.  I have chosen to write about the importance of technical exercises, which I would use and why etc (and it's something I'm very passionate about).  When I first wrote the submission I wrote if from my viewpoint - what I would do and why (as this is what the question states).  However, the advice I have been given, is that I should write it in the 3rd person and not talk about "me" at all (ie never using "I would, I have etc....").   That I should be using references and content from books - proving I have researched my subject well.

I've been told that the Viva Voce part of the Diploma is where I will be able to demonstrate my own experience and knowledge.

Now I am confused.  Do I write it from my perspective and experience as a teacher - or do I write it as a research paper?  I thought the whole point of the Diploma was to prove and show that you have the experience and knowledge to teach up to Grade 6?  But I am being asked to write the paper from the perspective of someone who has never taught - but has the knowledge through reading very good singing books.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

#2 becksloane

becksloane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 898549

Posted 14 February 2018 - 17:23

Not sure how it works for music written work but in my experience 3rd person used to be the way however if you state at start you will be using 1st person why and reference it's use in assignments that may be OK. Generally you should reference all points you put forward demonstrating how well read in your subject you are and working through an argument for and against with conclusion as to why you are using these techniques that is where you can bring your teaching thoughts to the fore. Academic writing is usually about analysing research that has been done. If you have written search papers (or published )then use it. The general idea of most assignments is to analyse and utilise other published work to draw your own recommendations and conclusions. As I said I'm not sure hiw it works for music assignments but I used to lecture in healthcare so hopefully some of this may be useful. Good luck! Rebekah

#3 becster

becster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 888990

Posted 15 February 2018 - 22:17

I got the idea that you should be using "I" as you are indeed putting your own approach across.

At Dip ABRSM level it is not expected that you have any teaching experience. You can, in theory, pass it without having taught. But if you do have teaching experience that will help. And you should use and refer to your experience. So do use "I".

I would say, however, that with or without teaching experience you are expected to have done a certain amount of background reading. And in bringing that in, you would not be using "I" quite so much. (Though you might be saying "I agree..." or otherwise!)

#4 margaret

margaret

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Member: 337
  • Barnet

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:45

Hi Donna-Marie

The most important thing is for your submission to be well written, well structured and showing evidence of perceptive thinking. The examiners want to see some good evidence of research and analysis but it is vital you talk about your own ideas and experience. I think your topic is "what importance do YOU attach to the use of technical exercises?....." The "you" part is important and it is fine to refer to yourself. I personally wouldn't get too hung up about the language you use so long as what you are saying is clear and demonstrates knowledge and research and critical thinking.

As Becster says you don't need to  be teaching to take this diploma. I helped a young student without any direct teaching experience and she went on to get a Distinction. Often the examiners open the discussion by asking the candidate to tell them a little about their teaching experience (or lack of it). 

Yes you do need to write it from "your perspective and experience as a teacher" but also showing you are aware of current research and the sort of materials out there whether or not you actually use them.  

Hope that helps. Good Luck