Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:22

Trying to organise a social evening for our drama group, I innocently thought that the membership were the type of people who would jump at any chance to get up on stage and perform, so advertised an 'open mic' evening, open to music, drama, poetry, comedy, or anything else they might want to do. 

So far I have had precisely nobody who is prepared to get up[ on stage and do their 'party piece'.

Why do people who don't want to perform join a drama group???unsure.png unsure.png unsure.png

If they don't have much history of social activities, it might be a bit novel and require an element of arm twisting first time round. Try asking around for who is likely to have party pieces then approach them directly. If it works, it will be much easier next time.

Not so surprising. You could easily get a similar response from band/orchestra members. Many in this situation like to be part of the group doing something together and would run a mile at the idea of doing something solo.

But these are mostly people who happily take on significant roles in productions, often on stage alone, and I made it perfectly clear in the publicity that doing things in groups was fine! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I think the problem is actually that they want someone to tell them what they have to do.  Asking them what hey want to do seems to have been the stumbling block.

#18767 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5856 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 13 September 2017 - 22:40

You may be right @Sylvette

#18768 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7707 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:14

It's also possible that performing in front of an audience of strangers is OK but they feel awkward doing it in front of their friends.

#18769 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 14 September 2017 - 20:37

I'm going to a family reunion in Hamburg next week. It was recently drawn to my attention (courtesy of Holiday Which?) that the Foreign Office advises travellers taking prescription medicine abroad to bring a doctor's letter as confirmation, otherwise risk having the medicine confiscated. I've been trying to speak to my GP anyway for the last few months, ever since I saw a shrink who happened to mention that the GP had written a referral letter to the Warwickshire Autism & Asperger Service back in March, of whom I've heard nothing since. Unfortunately the system at this health centre is that I have to ring and ask for the doctor to call me back, which so far he hasn't done, except when I haven't been able to answer the phone. This week I handed in a letter requesting a copy of my prescription on Monday, and phoned the surgery this morning, was told the dr would call me back but he hasn't.

#18770 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5793 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 14 September 2017 - 20:44

If it helps, I've been abroad many times with prescription medicine and never had anything happen that even came close to having my medicine inspected to be confiscated. I've only ever had the usual checks for liquids but medicine has always gone through the X-ray machine (and must have shown up as tablets) but they've never bothered with that. 

#18771 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 14 September 2017 - 21:21

I got pulled over at the airport for having something suspicious in my bag. It was my husband's inhaler. I had no idea it was in there and it wasn't even mine. They tested it for explosives then sent us on our way.

#18772 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6327 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:42

I pretty sure that having a copy of your prescription or a doctor's letter is the standard advice for travelling to any country.  And I think it's seldom ever needed in reality.  Never had anyone query on tablets, and I always have them in my hand luggage.

In May it was the first time I'd travelled with needles and a medication that has to be kept cool.  You're allowed to take an ice block through security, as long as it is Absolutely Solid.  Which is not much good if you left home three hours before you're going through security, because it's slightly melted by then.  So I got a gel-based cooling wallet, which while it doesn't keep it proper cold, keeps it cold enough*

So there I am at security, putting my bag through, doing the dutiful and separating out medicine, needles, sharps bin (empty at that time) and medicine letter - while suddenly worrying about the 'gel' content of the wallet...only to get told off for using two trays when I could have dumped it all in one.  Didn't even take a second glance at any of it!!

Security on the way back were slightly more interested in the gel wallet, but once I opened up the pen and showed them it was medicine, that was it.  I did have a sudden, unecessary panic about my letter-from-clinic being in English (I'm sure they would have someone who could translate to hand if it were really necessary).

* Tangent for this post, but essentially the medicine lasts 25 days if I keep it below 8C, but only 21 days if I keep it below 25C; it's £6 per dose, so those four extra days are worth keeping it in the fridge for - but for occasional use, keeping it below 25C and discarding the last bit is OK.

#18773 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7707 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:15

I pretty sure that having a copy of your prescription or a doctor's letter is the standard advice for travelling to any country.  And I think it's seldom ever needed in reality.  Never had anyone query on tablets, and I always have them in my hand luggage.

We were told that going to Greece this would cut no ice at all with regard to codeine which is banned in Greece. It was rather worrying as my husband was on quite a large dosage of codeine for pain relief. We even enquired at a pharmacy in Crete, and they said there was no way they could obtain it - have to make do with something else.

I don't know if they would have known if we had put a load of codeine tablets into a spare pill bottle labelled with some other drug name, but I really didn't want to risk spending my holiday worrying about a poor old grey-bearded fellow sitting in some Greek jail waiting to see if the British consul could bail him out, so we didn't take any.

#18774 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6327 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:25

Oooooh, that's a very good point.  Will be checking legality for countries I visit in future (my injectable is a class C drug in the UK, without a prescription :o)

#18775 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16575 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:32

I have been working on Faure Barcarolle No 1, but my copy was in a horrible Dover edition containing all the Nocturnes and Barcarolles. I decided to get a single copy of Barcarolle 1.  But all I could find was an edition called Hamelle.  It wasnt expensive, but the print is exactly the same as the Dover, with the turnovers in worse places.  So I am still using the Dover.

#18776 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22210 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted Yesterday, 11:03

Just a little one....

Rehearsal abandoned at half time last night as the arty people who use the building had been doing some heavy duty gluing.

It was decided that we really shouldn't continue breathing in the fumes any longer (especially winds and brass who mostly use ALL of our lungs).

An official complaint has been made.