andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10745 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted Yesterday, 18:08

I had a frustrating experience with a different retailer a couple of days ago. We were away from home, so I was ordering on my ipad and couldn't remember my password. After trying a few possibilities I decided I would have to request a password change. At which point the website took me round in circles, depositing me each time at the 'enter password' page. I finally decided that the only way I was going to be able to order my sale bargain was to try several more passwords, and this point I had an inspired thought that this might be one of the sites that insisted on special characters in the password. So I tried something else, and lo and behold, it worked and I was able to place my order. woot.gif

As I was leaving the site, a pop-up asked me if there was anything that had nearly stopped me from ordering from them. I took great delight in telling them. biggrin.png

#19727 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted Yesterday, 18:34

In that situation I would have just opened a new account with my new email address, Maizie. Was there anything you needed to keep from the old account?

#19728 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19800 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted Yesterday, 20:54

I had a similarly frustrating experience with the ABRSM website last weekend .... the exam bit of the site was down on Saturday and Sunday, and I needed to check my candidates’ appointments for this term.

By the time I was able to access the site, we were away from home. My user number and password were not recognised, although I knew both were correct. In desperation, I went through the ‘change password’ routine only to access a completely unfamiliar log-in page with no access to my profile and entries.

It was only by chance that I happened to notice the country name at the top right hand corner of the page was ‘France’. I changed it to UK, and lo and behold, was able to log in using my original password.

The whole kerfuffle lost almost half an afternoon and cost a great deal of angst.

#19729 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 22:21

Well, they came good, and in the end someone at customer services changed my email address.  Exactly what should have happened in the phone call, just took me a few stroppy email exchanges to get there.

In that situation I would have just opened a new account with my new email address, Maizie. Was there anything you needed to keep from the old account?

Wish list could have been reconstructed; order history couldn't, and that has its uses in terms of some guarantees.  I also prefer not to have 'orphan' accounts sitting out there with my personal details on it; probably harmless, as with the email address becoming defunct nobody could have done much, but still.  And by then, it was mainly the principle, that the screen says "to change this, phone here" and then nobody knew what to do.  Changing email address shouldn't be a big deal!