A Beginner's Saxophone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: lambadagirl_*

Guest: lambadagirl_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 23 November 2005 - 17:50

Hi - I'd love to pick up the sax but don't have too much money. I've seen an alto by the brand name Stagg for sale at a low price and wonder if anyone can tell me if it'll be ok or if I'm just wasting my money. I'm a total beginner but don't want to upset my neighbours (or put myself off learning) by making a terrible sound!
Any replies would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
LG

#2 Guest: lambadagirl_*

• Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 18:03

Thanks - although unfortunately I think even £400 is a bit steep at the moment. If Staggs really are that bad, perhaps I should just wait.......?

#3 Guest: saxlover_*

Guest: saxlover_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 18:05

I didn't pay that much for my Yamaha 62.

A good one is YAS 275 but again about £500

#4 Guest: country_bumpkin_*

Guest: country_bumpkin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 19:12

A stagg is fine! Don't go out and buy a ridiculously expensive saxophone if you're not sure if you'll stick with it. Stagg do have a fairly good reputation, but if your money will stretch to it I'd recommend buying a jupiter. I bought one second hand for £200 as I didn't really know how well I'd take to the saxophone. Luckily I seemed to have the knack for it and my jupiter took me up to grade 6 standard. The only brand of saxophone I wouldnt recommend buying is an Elkhardt as several of my friends have found that the pads needed replacing after only a year due to poor workmanship. Good luck in finding a sax!

#5 Guest: lambadagirl_*

• Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 19:17

Thanks to all so much. I really appreciate the input. Let's hope my next question will be of a more technical nature after discovering that I can actually get a sound out of the instrument!
LG

#6 Guest: kayladavies_*

Guest: kayladavies_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 23:54

My first saxophone was a Professional Yamaha. Yes, my parents didn't know it was a professional model. It cost them $1800 (3 times the cost of my sister's drum kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!). However, that was 9 years ago and now my cousin is playing it despite the top part of the neck piece (the octave key part) falling off in the middle of a music camp mad.gif Let's just say the music teacher was not impressed and there was nothing that we could do about it and I couldn't play any music for the next day and a half but that was 4-5 years ago and it has worked perfectly since then.

#7 Guest: saxmangazz_*

Guest: saxmangazz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:34

One of my students has a Stagg. The left hand palm keys are very high, especially for small or feminine hands, which creates fingering problems and discomfort. I have already advised her to change it. Resale value is also worth bearing in mind. I usually recommend Yamaha YAS275 for beginners. If you can't afford a new one, a good secondhand one shouldn't be too hard to find. If you ever want to sell for whatever reason, a Yamaha will be easier to shift, and will hold its value better, as well as being a better instrument in the first place.

If you are really skint, you could hire a sax to see how you get on. Some shops do a 'rent to buy' scheme, where they will deduct rental paid from the price of the sax if you decide to buy it.

Good luck.

#8 Guest: Appassionata_*

Guest: Appassionata_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 14:51

I really wouldn't buy a Stagg. It won't last you long and you'll soon have to upgrade. Why not take out a rental scheme and hire a Yamaha 275. That way if you don't get on with playing the sax then you've not lost too much money and with most schemes, after 2 years of hiring the instrument becomes yours.

#9 Guest: TenorClef_*

Guest: TenorClef_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:09

I see a lot of saxophones, Jupiters, Elkharts, Trevor James, Arbiter,Stagg and so on, a few other names too, at the beginner level theirs not much in it to be truthful. The Chinese are getting quite good at making some almost convincing student saxes, theirs quite a few on ebay to be had for around £200 or less, they go by such names as Fremont, Bently and so on. You know Charlie Parker's horns spent more time in the pawn shop than with him so he was always borrowing whatever sax some one would lone him, i doubt he was alway playing top pro horns in that scenario, did'nt seem to alter his playing skills though! Just buy a cheapy, if you find you like the sax and want to stick with it you can always upgrade it to something better further down the line.

#10 Guest: lambadagirl_*

• Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 17:21

Thanks - lots of good advice - I'll bear it all in mind - hope it's been useful to other beginners too!
LG