#2911 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:50

Maizie, thanks so much! I think I need to buy a lottery ticket, or see if I can find a friendly inter-library loan option. It looks like an amazing book.

Dotty-old-crotchet, Dan Laurin is so inspirational.

Flossie, what a good idea: maybe makers of better instruments should always recommend a matching cheap practice instrument! One reason I rarely use my (low-ish end) wooden recorder is because it's very different to my plastic recorders, and part of me won't put the effort into adapting to it, when I'm going to play it less anyway... a sort of self-reinforcing cycle.

#2912 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6396 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 18 December 2017 - 13:01

Found a review of the book, published in a jstor journal (so everyone can see the first page, if you have jstor access you will be able to see the rest): https://www.jstor.or...an_tab_contents

I do have reading rights at a deposit library, so I could technically get hands on the book with a bit of travelling and effort, but wouldn't be able to take it home with me!  As far as I understand it, it's essentially the author's PhD thesis slightly adapted for publication to the wider world.  I'm guessing it had a small print run and there's an ilicit trade in them if you find the right audience.

Tangent: I have family members who wish to holiday in Greenland.  The 'Lonely Planet' published a guidebook to Greenland which is now out of print.  The occasional one appears on the secondhand market but the last time one did it went for one hundred and twenty pounds...so if you have a copy of that laying on a shelf, maybe someone will swap it for the Van Eyck book :D

#2913 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 18 December 2017 - 14:07

The book looks remarkably cheap when compared to JStor, who want $42 for a download of a 4 page book-review about it!

For a moment I got all excited at your comment that it was basically her PhD thesis; coupled with her Dutch name, for a moment I thought it would be one of those lovely situations where it turns out friendly European universities have released huge numbers of PhD theses online, but sadly no.

I'll look for old copies of Lonely Planet guides, as-yet-undiscovered rare stamps, or other swappable items amongst the 25p library-sell-offs that populate my bookshelf...

#2914 Dotty old crotchet

Dotty old crotchet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Member: 898095

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:40

I'd love to play some really modern recorder music ('classical' not pop!). Not sure where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions? No harder than grade 4 and no strange notation or sound effects (I can add my own, though not necessarily intentionally).

Maybe grade 4 is a bit low to start tackling the avant-garde, but I'm just elated my new teacher says I should be trying pieces at grade 3-4 now not 1-2 as I have been this year.

Added later: I should have said I'm looking for music for descant please.