#3496 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 04 April 2019 - 16:51

Actually, elemimele that isn't a bad way to live life in general. I wish someone had used that philosophy on my adopted dog!

Strangely, my husband has just told me that the block fell out of his wooden (German fingering) recorder today but he says he simply replaced it.

#3497 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 April 2019 - 20:54

hm, block-knockery-outery  in our house involved a large  bit of dowel, the head of my bass wedged between my knees and a hammer... maybe that's why the others thought I was  being daring... handily the recorder stand my husband had made me a few years ago has suitably sized bits of dowel in it, which double as tools in this situation. When I did it, I didn't even know about the sock trick - put head of instrument into a sock, then should the block shoot out in an undignified fashion, it has a soft landing. And yes, the other worry is always getting the block back in properly - though I've not had any difficulty with this one, even with the ones which were tight to knock out in the first place. 

next required purchase -  the head of one of the screws on my music stand has chewed out threads :( Annoyingly the bag for the stand had a velcro flap closure and a badly designed strap which tended to land the case as a whole upside down on my shoulder unless I very carefully hooked it over and held on tight - on being up-ended, the stand would duly burst its way through the velcro and dive-bomb onto the ground. *sigh* . So now my criteria for a folding music stand are - must be light, not too long when folded and have a decent bag from which escape is unlikely... 

#3498 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 09:12

Music stands, air dryers and fold up tables have to be amongst the most annoying and difficult things to buy. My music stand is permanently to attention in my study and its a very hefty thing, I wouldn't want to carry it anywhere. It would be interesting to see what you finally decide on!

So how do blocks go back? My husband demonstrated the loose block on his recorder by turning it upside down and it fell out. However, I played it a bit and the block is now tight. I'm not sure how they are meant to be fixed or do they simply depend on moisture in the wood?

#3499 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 April 2019 - 22:20

when I read about the block falling out, my first thought was, that recorder can't have been played much before that happened - they do swell a little after playing, and shrink if not played much - in the same way, the joints of the instruments I play less often also become a little loose. The shape of a block is such that it really only fits back in one way - it's like a cylinder with an extra strip of wood along its length - the main worry with one which didn't come out all that easily is will it go back all the way. As I'd used a hammer to knock the one out of my knick bass... I may have done a gentle tap to put it back so that the curve was flush with the rest of the beak - it didn't need quite as much effort as I'd also cleaned it cautiously.  The maker of my voice flute and a' = 415Hz treble, suggests very light sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper for this - that was a bit scary for me, so I just scraped the surface of the block with a piece of stiff cardboard. 

#3500 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 09:38

Absolutely right! He doesn't play it all. He bought it as a lot with some other recorders and musical things. He used to play the flute so maybe got interested in the recorder because of that but he doesn't play flute now either - he'd be hard pushed - it's in my study on permanent  loan! Anyway, I now have a German fingering recorder because my husband decided it was pointless.

Re- sandpaper - not sure how much you know of them but the fine ones really are fine. I use very very very high grades for getting a finish on some of the wooden things I work with and there are dusters with more abrasive power! The good ones are also very expensive - I buy mine on line and they come in the envelopes designed for photos - much to my husband's amusement for whom sandpaper is that stuff you use to smooth down woodwork prior to decorating! smile.png

#3501 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 April 2019 - 20:31

neat, the finest we have is whatever can be got at the hardware store - my primary school was a curious establishment, and we learned to do basic wood and metalworking at about age 10-11, so am reasonably handy, indeed I'm the one who buys the tools for the house, despite Mr 'crusis being a harpsitechnician (and then he nicks what I've bought for his workshop, grrrrr) . I will have a hunt and see what I can find, thank you Zixi :)

#3502 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:15

I very much want to go on one of those courses - harbouring a quiet ambition to do a recorder-making one

Bit of a delayed response but I have been away... on a recorder-making course.  Strange that this came up just before I went (I booked the course months ago).  Anyway, I spent last week lathing and chiselling and sanding under Tim Cranmore's expert eye, and had a really fantastic week.  I don't have much in the way of woodworking skills and would probably have found it easier if I did, but I still came out of it with a working recorder that I (more or less!) made all by myself.  I learned a huge amount and had a great time.  Would wholeheartedly recommend the experience if anyone considering it.

#3503 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 20:09

that sounds fantastic, o_a_g , and makes me want to do so even more biggrin.png . My woodworking skills are largely confined to building flatpacks, laying click-lock flooring and deploying hammers on recorder blocks as previously described... though I have learned to use curved chisels to carve wood, I've never turned anything. Might ask to borrow dad's lathe when I'm down visiting him next. When I was a junior doing a job in plastic surgery for six months, the consultant said he'd issued a challenge to his trainees - carve an ear out of soap, and if you can do that, you can be a plastic surgeon. As I was about to marry a harpsichord technician, I was able to borrow his workshop and a lump of wood and duly carved an ear, though in lime  rather than soap. I still have it somewhere. It's definitely an ear, albeit a bit of a thick one biggrin.png

Did you get some teaching on setting up and tuning recorders too, o_a_g ?

#3504 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:15

Did you get some teaching on setting up and tuning recorders too, o_a_g ?

Yes - you go more-or-less from a block of wood (in fact, three cylinders each with a bore drilled out) to a working, in-tune recorder.  The last day was tuning and all was explained.  That is not to say I could reproduce it ;(  Some aspects of tuning involved changing the size/shape of the holes, but some involved changing the shape of the bore which was all a bit of a black art.  As far as I remember, you could change the tuning of E (on a tenor) by changing the shape of the bore around about the A hole!

I think the turning was the easiest part in the end, plus there was an opportunity to practise that: I made three foot joints in total, and could have made a fourth if I'd been a bit faster (or stayed later).  It also was less critical than the other steps.  I found the chiselling the most difficult, so your work there would probably stand you in good stead.  Tim's way of looking at it was that the block you were seeking was within the lump of cedar in your hand, you just needed to find it.  I almost found it - it did work but had a visual flaw (a small gap between it and the beak part way round) so could have been a lot worse (I messed up the labium completely).

#3505 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:06

sounds like an amazing experience!

#3506 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:27

It does indeed sound like a wonderful opportunity! It's interesting that Tim talks about finding the block in the lump of cedar. Michelangelo thought the same about his sculptures and apparently spent ages just staring at the marble! You must be so proud of *your* recorder!!!!!!!!

#3507 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:55

sounds like an amazing experience!

It was absolutely brilliant - I'd be more than happy to do it all again.  I see someone else who did it put lots of pictures online, you can see them here: https://www.cantorac...er_making.shtml

You must be so proud of *your* recorder!!!!!!!!

I'd never have made it without some serious remedial intervention by Tim but, nevertheless, I am indeed rather proud of it.  Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but looking forward to trying it out. 

#3508 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:12

Hmmm - it's not exactly whittling a stick. I think 'justifiably proud' would be fine! smile.png I hope you tell us how it plays!

I've just bought a digital voice metronome. I just know we're going to fall out. The first sat nav I ever had was set to a 'male' voice. I managed a few minutes. I swapped to a 'female' voice and managed a few more minutes. It was eventually set on C-3P0 and we got on OK-ish... But I really feel I have to beat rhythm into submission so perhaps this will work. I manage to ignore the conventional, wind-up metronome. blink.png And I mostly win.