#3556 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:10

This is most worrying, Zixi. I'd never heard of Diabelli and Carcassi, and Wikipedia tells me it's because neither was born until after the End of the Musical World (around 1750). But they're both quite decent composers and I rather like Diabelli, having listened to a couple of bits of YouTube. I may be forced to rethink the timing of the End.

#3557 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:49

I hope you don't mind that I bask in having introduced you to people you didn't know. smile.png I am always in awe of the breadth and depth of your musical knowledge.  Carcassi composed lots of little pieces designed as exercises for his guitar students. I love these pieces. They're very musically satisfying and at my level, they expect dexterity both in sight reading and fingering. I didn't know Diabelli at all but my husband recognised him at once and enthused.

#3558 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:46

oh, I am not so knowledgeable. I just use Wikipedia too much. No, I very much appreciate being introduced to someone new, and I also love listening to guitar, so it's a double win for me.

#3559 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:18

It's a lovely instrument. Do you play guitar at all? My husband does but I could never get on with it. My teacher tends to give me a few new pieces each week -  this week is Purcell and Leopold Mozart. But I'm doing some Latin as well and that is proving a challenge just now. I have to do something with it as I confidently told teacher that 'strong rhythms are easier'... And this is a new book I bought for just that reason. I've been unwell the last two lessons so haven't practised as much as I would like so I think the next lesson I should say that I worked very hard and not give feeble unwell excuses. rolleyes.gif

#3560 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6664 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 23 June 2019 - 15:01

Just put my A=415 descant in the post (well-padded, tracked and insured!) to the Early Music Shop's Used Instrument Agency.  I hope it finds a nice home.  It spent all its time looking at me to make me feel guilty for never playing it, so I thought moving it on the right thing.

It has a new home!  Thanks to price increases, it sold secondhand for more than I paid for it new - not that I got quite that much after EMS took their cut, but very happy for it to have a new home and me to have some unexpected income :D

#3561 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted Today, 13:50

Recycling in every good sense. I'm glad it has a new happy home.

I've been listening to Jean-Pierre Rampal's recording of the Telemann flute fantasies. It's interesting and eye-opening from so many points of view.

It's interesting to hear the music played on a flute - and a modern flute, at that - instead of recorder. Flute ought to be better, being the instrument for which the pieces were composed, but I think the little dance movements sound better with the natural danciness and lightness of a recorder. It is easier for a recorder to play in this sort of style in a joined-up yet light manner. Flute, on the other hand, is much more powerful in the lower notes, which brings out something different in the sections where the music is simulating two parts.

It's interesting to hear the music played by someone who was a pioneer, rediscovering Baroque flute music. His technical skill is enormous, and his musical taste super-developed, but so many decades later, would we play the same way?

Mostly it's eye-opening just to see an interpretation by someone with so much to say. He plays the first one soooo fast, to such an extent that for a few seconds I felt wrong about it, but then realised it changes it from a technical exercise in arpeggios to something that flows like a happy, excited brook. He does wonderful things with repeats - and his phrasing brings life to the longer bits. Also, his phrasing is very recorder-friendly. Flute may take more air than recorder, but he can apparently play without breathing, which means his breathing-spots are doable by an amateur recorder person.

Now I want to find a good, modern recording on a Baroque flute, to see how much difference that makes...

Who cares what these fantasies were written for, they sound lovely on a recorder too, just so different. I suspect a Baroque flute version will be somewhere between Rampal and Recorder. The best music (nearly) always admits of multiple interpretations.

#3562 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6664 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Today, 14:07

When we couldn't find recorder recordings, previous recorder teacher would always point me at Barthold Kuijken as an early music/early flute person. Might be a name to start searching with...