#3646 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:19

I get the impression that some recorders are more fussy than others, elemimele... and I guess moving between treble and descant might be a source of conflict as well... Maybe you're just doing something different? And I don't think recorders like changes in the weather (like we've been having here recently)... Even a longer fingernail (or one cut too short) can be enough to throw me sometimes... Hopefully,  it will pass... smile.png

#3647 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 August 2019 - 20:19

I wish I could claim it were the instrument, Zixi (you're very kind), but it's definitely me; it's my main practice instrument which is the model I've played since first I began. I think it's that different pieces bring out different problems, and I've just hit a new problem - all another opportunity to learn. You're right about fingers: a minor gardening issue can throw me completely (thorn in a finger, minor cut or whatever). Sometimes also a good clean helps my recorder.

#3648 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted Yesterday, 07:14

elemimele - I think different pieces do bring out different issues and sometimes they cause them. I've had to address (bottom) D#/ E flat because of the way it's required in a piece I'm learning. The speed it's required means I can't hang around hoping to hit it rolleyes.gif. Sympathies over the gardening - we have a few roses which a previous owner allowed to return to root stock... they're not rosa rugosa but more like a dog rose and their one aim in life appears to be to stop me from playing recorder!  The hips make a wonderful cooking wine (and the birds love their protection) or they and I would have likely fallen out! blink.png

I've got what I hope isn't a stupid question but I'm curious about how people practice. Do you have something you always do first to 'warm up' or what? My husband uses Hanon (piano) and warms up with that... I just launch into things though I do try to end on a positive note (sorry). I'm wondering if I ought to be more methodical... I keep a careful record every week of what I've done...

#3649 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted Yesterday, 10:13

I'm curious about how people practice. Do you have something you always do first to 'warm up' or what?

I usually start by whipping through the complete Staeps' The Daily Lesson, doing the whole book in about the 40 minutes he recommends.

Then I wake up, have breakfast, etc etc, and by the time I get around to doing any recorder, I just dive straight in to whatever I am playing at the time.  Most of what I'm playing at the moment is in either A minor or D minor so I have taken to spending a few minutes on each scale at the beginning.  I've pretty much decided that I'm playing, not practising.  I mean that seriously - I have no intention of ever playing in public or anything like that, it's all purely for my own enjoyment, so I just play, and trust that I'll get better as I go along.  I do have ambitions about some harder pieces that are things I like and want to be able to play one day, but I fear that a serious practice regimen would spoil much of my enjoyment while not having much in the way of real benefit.  Maybe if I had more time I would do more in the way of studies and exercises, but for now, I'm happy to go with the flow.

#3650 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted Yesterday, 18:22

When I was working my way through a proper tutor book, I used to practise the exercises reasonably "properly", but all that has rather fallen apart. I also tend just to play. However, as a compromise, I try to regulate what I'm playing: keep a balance between new pieces (because exploring repertoire is hugely fun, and it's good practice at sight-reading) and a few pieces at which I stick long enough to feel more confident. I also try to keep a balance between relatively easy pieces where I can work on making them sound good, and harder pieces, which are simply stretching me (also fun) without any expectation of me being able to play them well.

The other thing that makes sense is to try to listen, and improve a piece. One can 'just play', and enjoy, but also balance this with making a point of noticing a bit that isn't quite right, and stopping and working on it a bit. This changes playing-for-fun barely perceptibly into enjoying-improving-a-piece.

I don't think one should be ashamed of playing for fun. Most of us are never going to be professionals so it's up to us how much hard work to make it. Also, any form of playing is still practice. It may not be the most efficient form of practice to get as good as possible in the shortest time, but it's better to be playing, because it's satisfying, than give up, because it's all too hard.

The consequence of this is that I don't play the same way every day. Some days, I'm enthusiastic, and get my teeth into a bit that's really troubling me, and stick at it, try out different approaches, think, practice, go over the same bit a lot, really work at it. Other days I'm in an exploratory mood and just doodle through some new things with no great expectations. Other days, I'm dog-tired and hardly bothered, I play something I know well, it doesn't sound good, and I find myself thinking "stuff this, it'll be better tomorrow", and that's just part of adult life. For me, fortunately, it always has been better tomorrow, but I understand the worry some will have, that this is the beginning of the end... (but that's another matter altogether). Having drifted off-topic, I'll stop wibbling...