Melodica

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: BachPensioner_*

Guest: BachPensioner_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 03 August 2007 - 20:36

Has anyone used a melodica? What is it like? Would it be suitable for accompanying hymns in a non-church setting (ie nursing home with elderly people)?

#2 elidatrading

elidatrading

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2078 posts
  • Member: 2043
  • Huddersfield

Posted 03 August 2007 - 20:40

It's basically a piano keyboard that you blow through. I guess you could use it for hymns in that setting, not sure I'd want to.

Liz

#3 nic

nic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Member: 8081

Posted 03 August 2007 - 22:19

I'd have to agree with Liz.

I think they are only one octave (or at least the one I've played was).

#4 Guest: BachPensioner_*

• Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:59

Hmmm - maybe that is why there was no bids for the ones on Ebay. There is one that is 32 key - would that be better than a single octave?

#5 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22874 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:03

I used to play one occasionally in school assemblies but it was in combination with other instruments mostly.

#6 elidatrading

elidatrading

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2078 posts
  • Member: 2043
  • Huddersfield

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:04

The ones we get are three octaves (37 keys).

Ebay is a funny place.

Liz

#7 obble

obble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 10992
  • Dorset

Posted 05 August 2007 - 14:20

I've got two Hohner ones, the soprano and alto 'button' types. I rather like them. They sound quite like accordians but without the chords. I've used them for folk tunes, ska and blues. (sounds like a harmonica then). I imagine they'd be fine for hymns too as they seem to blend with other instruments quite well.

They're very simple to play, though some tunes are tricky due to having to hold the instrument with one hand and play with the other. You can ones with a blowing tube so you can put it on a table instead though.
My ones have two octaves. The alto has a nicer tone than the soprano. You can get ones with proper piano keys or just buttons.

#8 Guest: BachPensioner_*

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 16:51

Thanks obble. Forgive my ignorance but what is ska?

#9 obble

obble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Member: 10992
  • Dorset

Posted 05 August 2007 - 17:49

You're welcome
Ska's like reggae but a bit livelier I suppose. From Jamaica too I think (I'm no expert!).
Perhaps I should have said that melodicas sound more like concertinas than accordians. Or maybe that's splitting hairs.....

#10 frenchyhorn

frenchyhorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Member: 1634
  • Luton

Posted 06 August 2007 - 15:58

I always thought they sounded more lke a harmonica than anything else. I always found it pretty easy to play, as long as you know the piano layout. My grandparents had one and i always used to play on it before I took up horn.

Its small and not too loud so it should be perfect for what you want happy.gif

#11 Melody Amour

Melody Amour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Member: 7980

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:01

Are pianica's good for practising harmony exercises such as the ones found in the Anna Butterworth Harmony in Practice Book, or harmony exercises in any book for that matter and are you able to practise intervals and things such as diminished chords and cadences, and listen to the differences between minor and major like on a piano?

#12 Melody Amour

Melody Amour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Member: 7980

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:44

Thanks very much all ears. I was wondering about the pipe, and wasn't overkeen on having to blow. My real preference is for a really, really light keyboard that has some resemblance to a piano sound.

I have to walk carrying the keyboard.

#13 salrec

salrec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Member: 7243

Posted 26 August 2007 - 21:37

I'll send you a pm in about five minutes smile.gif

#14 Violinia

Violinia

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4063 posts
  • Member: 319

Posted 26 August 2007 - 21:59

QUOTE(obble @ Aug 5 2007, 03:20 PM) View Post

I've got two Hohner ones, the soprano and alto 'button' types. I rather like them. They sound quite like accordians but without the chords. I've used them for folk tunes, ska and blues. (sounds like a harmonica then). I imagine they'd be fine for hymns too as they seem to blend with other instruments quite well.

They're very simple to play, though some tunes are tricky due to having to hold the instrument with one hand and play with the other. You can ones with a blowing tube so you can put it on a table instead though.
My ones have two octaves. The alto has a nicer tone than the soprano. You can get ones with proper piano keys or just buttons.

I'm quite interested in these too. How much are the alto 2-octave ones with piano keys, roughly?

Violinia

#15 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 17:43

I really dislike melodicas. They could make useful pitchpipes but not much else. The sound is very dull and you can do little to vary it apart from adding some vibrato or jaws harp style effects. I would rather a cheap keyboard to a melodica any day.