barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41714 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2019 - 13:38

In December I went to another Memf workshop, this one aimed at all A440 musicians. I had various people suggest I talk to so-and-so about opportunities for recorder playing, but these "opportunities" all boiled down to just two options: Warwickshire SRP and the Heart of England Recorder Orchestra. Am I an out-and-out snob for being disappointed with the standard of Warwickshire SRP?

Expecting more is no bad thing, Aeolienne.
Can you get into Birmingham easily - perhaps there’s more there?
My offer to borrow one of my spare flutes to try is still, and always there - just let me know :)

#47 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 04 March 2019 - 16:52

Actually I did finally make it to Birmingham SRP last Saturday afternoon, but I ended up spending more time travelling there and back than playing. I left Leamington Spa on the 13:14 train, arriving at Kings Norton an hour later having changed at Birmingham New Street. After some difficulty in finding the venue, I arrived at 14:33 by which time playing had commenced (evidently they're one of the more punctual groups). In the absence of anyone to meet or greet me, I headed for where I heard the music coming from, which proved to be note-bashing a group session on a Palestrina three-choir piece. The other players seemed to spend a lot of time talking among themselves rather than paying attention to the conductor, so much so that when I asked if she was beating in minims or crotchets seven people other than the conductor replied. It was only at the tea break that I learnt that there had been two sessions running in parallel, the other being a one-to-a-part session which would probably have been more to my liking. Rightly or wrongly, I chose not to resume after the tea break, having calculated that if I stayed on for another session I wouldn't get home until after 19:00 or later. One of the regulars said that someone could have given me a lift from Solihull or Birmingham International stations had I approached the committee in advance - but the trouble was I didn't know until the day before whether I'd be free that afternoon.