#17806 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:14

I've not had that happen - the things I've done recently we've booked we've had to specify a Lead Traveller (or some similar grandiose name), which is just whichever of us is organising/paying for it.

If they've not specified your husband as 'leader' in some way - just put him first of four with no distinction other than being first - then I'd just check it isn't something straightforwardly programmatic.  For example, if you were called Beatrice, Zebadiah, Alfred and Maximilian, you might get re-ordered to A, B, M and Z.  Or date of birth order.  Just a random thought from someone who spends a lot of time ordering data biggrin.png

I thought of that. I am first alphabetically,  and I am the oldest of the group. laugh.png

I'm chatting to them online. they have confirmed that I am the lead passenger, and are telling me alternately that a) they changed the order; b) it doesn't matter and c) they didn't change the order.

hmmm...

#17807 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6529 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 16 August 2018 - 13:16

Probably too generous of me to assume deliberate (if inadvertent)  action instead of foul-up :rofl:

#17808 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 16 August 2018 - 13:54

Probably too generous of me to assume deliberate (if inadvertent)  action instead of foul-up rofl.gif

You mean did they sort on title? laugh.png I certainly didn't get any joy out of the person on live chat. I also pointed out that I was getting an error from some other part of their site which my husband reckoned was actually a technical error on their part.  The reply I got was must be a technical issue - try again later. I replied with please could you report it to your technical people.

I'm not that old, but I am starting to feel very old, grumpy, and out of touch with the world.... blink.png 

#17809 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4586 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:56

There's a lot in the news about Aretha Franklin at the moment.
She was well-loved. Glad so many enjoyed her music.
Can't really hear how she was different from a dozen other Soul singers, myself - but am no expert, admittedly.

Would rather listen to Dionne Warwick, personally. Perhaps a different style.

#17810 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17064 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:32

There's a lot in the news about Aretha Franklin at the moment.
She was well-loved. Glad so many enjoyed her music.
Can't really hear how she was different from a dozen other Soul singers, myself - but am no expert, admittedly.

Would rather listen to Dionne Warwick, personally. Perhaps a different style.

I agree with you Mel

#17811 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:23

Had an interesting experience when I went to put some money into my bank account - the teller had been asking me if I've got a busy day today and I told her I'm a violin teacher.  She then asked about pupils and it turned out she'd contacted me before about lessons but had decided her son was too young for lessons.  She might be going to contact me again about starting lessons so a simple trip to the bank to put money into my account may result in a new violin pupil!  Worthwhile trip I think...biggrin.png

#17812 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5980 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 18 August 2018 - 20:32

Back from a summer school (for a long list of reasons, not my usual one, but that's a different story) week. Musically, it was an interesting and a good week. There were other aspects I found somewhat odd and personally I did not feel relevant to a week of music making.

I had one utterly bizarre conversation that was so off-the-wall that I decided it wasn't worth the effort of challenging as it was clear that normal reasoning would not work on this person. This person has a background where they play folk music and they are new to playing in classical style chamber groups, or orchestras. As usual, you get music thrown at you which you have to sight-read and get on with it. This person is inexperienced at sight-reading so falls on the mantra of a certain type of flag waver that sight-reading is 'elitist'.

The ability to sight-read is a skill and like all skills is learnt over time. Playing by ear is a skill, one that I don't have. Maybe I should call them elitist?

There is nothing more annoying than people who  blame anything and everything whether it's the government, the 'system' or whatever, on their lack of success / achievement / progress etc rather than on their own lack of effort and input.

I'm reasonably proficient at sight-reading because it was something my singing teacher insisted on and I'v been to lots of singing days etc where you just get music thrown at you. Over time you get better at it.   

#17813 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2327 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 18 August 2018 - 21:36

Back from a summer school (for a long list of reasons, not my usual one, but that's a different story) week. Musically, it was an interesting and a good week. There were other aspects I found somewhat odd and personally I did not feel relevant to a week of music making.

I had one utterly bizarre conversation that was so off-the-wall that I decided it wasn't worth the effort of challenging as it was clear that normal reasoning would not work on this person. This person has a background where they play folk music and they are new to playing in classical style chamber groups, or orchestras. As usual, you get music thrown at you which you have to sight-read and get on with it. This person is inexperienced at sight-reading so falls on the mantra of a certain type of flag waver that sight-reading is 'elitist'.

The ability to sight-read is a skill and like all skills is learnt over time. Playing by ear is a skill, one that I don't have. Maybe I should call them elitist?

There is nothing more annoying than people who  blame anything and everything whether it's the government, the 'system' or whatever, on their lack of success / achievement / progress etc rather than on their own lack of effort and input.

I'm reasonably proficient at sight-reading because it was something my singing teacher insisted on and I'v been to lots of singing days etc where you just get music thrown at you. Over time you get better at it.   

Too right. I'm fed up of being labelled 'clever' because I can ready music and sight sing. It took me years of effort to be able to do those things.

#17814 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14344 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 18 August 2018 - 22:51

Summer schools can be funny places, TV!

I never thought I'd say this, but it was an utter relief not to be at the Kodály one this year - only the second one I've missed since 1983...

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

#17815 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4586 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:22

I've never been upset by being called 'clever'. Rather, flattered if anything. Not that it happens very often.

#17816 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:01

I've just worked out that I have only one complete weekend free between now and Christmas, and that weekend will be booked by this evening ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

#17817 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3222 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 18 September 2018 - 14:38

Had an e mail from Teacher Voices about a Teacher Engagement Day. Wondered briefly if it was some sort of dating site!

#17818 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19730 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 18 September 2018 - 16:35

I had one of those too = and then another a few minutes later to let me know it was now full.