Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6463 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 March 2019 - 14:57

Paramecium?

Perhaps a little on the small side, easy to get lost!!

#17897 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2535 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 07 March 2019 - 15:44

A stick insect wearing a fluffy jumper?

#17898 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5780 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 07 March 2019 - 18:51

Hamster

Spot on! - although actually it will be a dwarf. If they have arrived in Scotland yet, I will go and select it on Saturday. He / she will be called Theo, so it doesn't matter what the s.ex is (Theodore / Theodosia). We've kept a couple before, but they eventually had to have a cage each before one of them killed the other, so I'm settling for just one furry friend this time.

wub.png

#17899 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:56

How nice - hope you enjoy your new little wriggly, furry friend!!

#17900 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5780 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 March 2019 - 17:00

Thank you, Aquarelle. Theo came home yesterday and is now settling in. She's white, and is quite the sweetest, most adorable little dwarf hamster ever.wub.png I'm glad to say that even OH is taking a vague interest - after saying last week: "What would I want a hamster for - unless it's deep-fried and put in a bun!"ohmy.png

#17901 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4463 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 10 March 2019 - 17:39

Oh cute! wub.png  Enjoy your new furry friend!

#17902 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6463 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted 10 March 2019 - 17:58

Thank you, Aquarelle. Theo came home yesterday and is now settling in. She's white, and is quite the sweetest, most adorable little dwarf hamster ever.wub.png I'm glad to say that even OH is taking a vague interest - after saying last week: "What would I want a hamster for - unless it's deep-fried and put in a bun!"ohmy.png

Of course, the ancient Romans used to eat edible dormice aka Glis glis, so I suppose it's not a huge step of imagination ....... ninja.gif

However, I'm sure Mr Misterioso will be captivated soon enough, and will have Theo eating out of his hand very soon! biggrin.png

#17903 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6626 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 08:12

Over the festive season, there was a television programme with a family 'revisiting' Christmas from different decades, with popular toys/presents and contemporary foods.  My mother and Mr Maizie both oooohed over the 1970s Vesta "convenience foods", in a 'it was terrible, but it was the best thing we'd ever known' way (I was born mid-70s, so I missed this phenomenon).

Mr Maizie went digging and discovered you could still get Vesta stuff.  So he ordered some chow mein and some beef curry.  We had the chow mein in January, and it was perfectly acceptable.  He made the beef curry last night...well, he started making it...and it looked fairly grim, and it wouldn't reduce and was way too runny, and then he tried some...and then we went to the fish'n'chip shop.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be, he assures me :D

#17904 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5780 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted Yesterday, 17:19

I bought a playpen for dwarf hamster, as a safe place to put her while I cleaned her cage. Within 10 minutes, she had gnawed through the entire thickness of the playmat, leaving holes in various places, and worked out how to scale a 9 inch high vertical railing, resulting in a very near escape. I thought hamsters were supposed to be not terribly bright, but clearly no-one has told Theo that!

She's totally gorgeous, but not very tame yet, so I have a selection of nibbled fingers.

#17905 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted Yesterday, 21:50

Please tell me Misterioso - how big is a dwarf hamster - or perhaps i should ask how small?

#17906 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted Yesterday, 23:11

Hamsters are amazing at escaping. I looked after my daughter's for a week while she was away, and it managed to get out of its cage. It took me 2 days to find it - I was terrified I would have to explain to her where it had gone! Exercise balls are good while cleaning the cage, but you have to watch where it goes. My sister had one that used to take a run at a wall so it would break open! As to fingers, we used to have one that required extra-tough gardening gloves to clean the cage as he defended his territory so well.

#17907 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6463 posts
  • Suburbia

Posted Today, 08:58

Hamsters are amazing at escaping. I looked after my daughter's for a week while she was away, and it managed to get out of its cage. It took me 2 days to find it - I was terrified I would have to explain to her where it had gone! Exercise balls are good while cleaning the cage, but you have to watch where it goes. My sister had one that used to take a run at a wall so it would break open! As to fingers, we used to have one that required extra-tough gardening gloves to clean the cage as he defended his territory so well.

I second the exercise ball as a safe place to store the hamster! biggrin.png

We had a docile boy (ordinary hamster) who was lovely and would just potter about and let anyone play with him. He only bit 1 person and that was because she had baked bean sauce on her finger and he thought it would be good to taste. Our second hamster was a vicious little female, so pretty though, but the only way we could get her out of the cage was by careful negotiation with the exercise ball at the door of the cage. She even bared her teeth at a vet who stepped back in alarm!!

#17908 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted Today, 09:34

Our daughter's hamster escaped in the middle of the night and the first thing we knew about it was when the burglar alarm went off. The hamster had eaten through one of the cables. When it was finally located it was below floor boards which I then had to rip up, breaking the floor board in the process. Next morning I had to replace the floor board and call out the alarm company.

#17909 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5780 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted Today, 09:54

Please tell me Misterioso - how big is a dwarf hamster - or perhaps i should ask how small?

They are about 8 cm in length when they stretch their bodies out. You could get two in your hand at once - except that they are usually too wriggly.

Zwhe, Hedgehog, Chris13: Lovely to read all these anecdotes about fierce and otherwise hamsters - many thanks for sharing! wub.png

#17910 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted Today, 11:56

We had a docile boy (ordinary hamster) who was lovely and would just potter about and let anyone play with him. He only bit 1 person and that was because she had baked bean sauce on her finger and he thought it would be good to taste. Our second hamster was a vicious little female, so pretty though, but the only way we could get her out of the cage was by careful negotiation with the exercise ball at the door of the cage. She even bared her teeth at a vet who stepped back in alarm!!

I got bitten by one of our rabbits like that. I walked past him eating strawberries, and he jumped up to get one from my hand. He missed the strawberry and got a mouthful of my thumb instead. I'm not sure which one of us was more shocked! At least I am now up to date on my tetanus jabs...

(Yes, our house is like a zoo!)