Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted Yesterday, 12:33

We had a docile boy (ordinary hamster) who was lovely and would just potter about and let anyone play with him. He only bit 1 person and that was because she had baked bean sauce on her finger and he thought it would be good to taste. Our second hamster was a vicious little female, so pretty though, but the only way we could get her out of the cage was by careful negotiation with the exercise ball at the door of the cage. She even bared her teeth at a vet who stepped back in alarm!!

I got bitten by one of our rabbits like that. I walked past him eating strawberries, and he jumped up to get one from my hand. He missed the strawberry and got a mouthful of my thumb instead. I'm not sure which one of us was more shocked! At least I am now up to date on my tetanus jabs...

(Yes, our house is like a zoo!)

That's a point, actually, and my hamster book doesn't say anything about it: if I get bitten and it draws blood, should I get my tetanus updated?

#17912 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6628 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 12:50

The tetanus bacterium persists as spores in the soil.  Unless your hamster has been out digging in the garden, the only way she could give you tetanus if she was already infected with it (hint: she'd have symptoms if she were)

#17913 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted Yesterday, 15:21

You can pass tetanus on if you don't have it - the spores are harmless when eaten as they have to go directly into the blood to cause an infection, so if your pet eats veg that haven't been thoroughly washed, they could infect you with a bite, although the risk is very small. Better safe than sorry, and you also won't have to worry next time you prune the roses!

#17914 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6628 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted Yesterday, 15:24

D'oh, yes, didn't think of spores from the garden coming in with the veggies smile.png  I remember being told not to worry about it with indoor rodents, I guess because it's so very unlikely, and they probably didn't think I was growing kale for them to eat.

#17915 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5784 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted Yesterday, 15:46

Many thanks, Maizie and Zwhe, for your feedback. I make sure that any fresh food I give her is thoroughly washed, and she doesn't go digging in the garden.

#17916 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted Yesterday, 16:54

Yeah but if you find yourself stuffing your cheeks with nuts or running around in a little wheel, come back to us! smile.png